Current Droids EOL 3/31/2011

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
verizon-EOL-aug25.jpg

Ever wonder when purchasing a new device just how long it will last before it gets replaced by something faster, better, cheaper, or all three? Well, thanks to PhoneDog we have some insight on when to expect the Droid Incredible, Droid X, and Droid 2 to get replaced.

The spreadsheet above shows the scheduled end-of-life for most of the current Verizon Phones. March 31st, 2011 is the date set out for all three Droids to see their last day. Now that doesn't mean we won't see a different revision of the phone, as the HTC Incredible Droid was on the list before and it turned out the device was getting revised and lived on.

I would like to see Verizon / Motorola stick with some of the current names and just release updated hardware. Maybe something along the lines of 2009 Droid, 2010 Droid, 2011 Droid and so on :) I guess they would have to keep the phone around longer then 8-10 months and might get a bit confusing. Let us know your thoughts.

Source: Exclusive: Verizon end-of-life list details

DougDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The quality of phones are definitely getting better and I find myself getting more attached to the first gen Droid every day. I would be completely happy with more common software updates, instead of throwing out a completely different phone every few months. I would imagine that this would be a lot cheaper for cell phone companies as I'm sure there is a lot of R&D that goes into developing new phones.

Bxrider117

Reaction score
Not that I am not happy to see progress with the amount of good phones that Verizon offers, but as a Droid 1 owner, I have a problem with any phone not lasting a full year and when I go to the insurance carrier to request a replacement because of damage or lost product, they can not offer me the exact phone. In stead they want to push a cheaper model on me because my phone is no longer in production. I realize that this is a different thread, however, it has some relation to the fact that our phones are not going to have a shelf life of more than 8-10 months. To combat this flaw, I hope Verizon allows everyone the opportunity to upgrade whenever a new release comes out. Instead of a years wait, allow upgrades every 6-8 months per line.

Eddog4DROID

Reaction score
How accurate can this actually be? I suppose it makes sense since we know the three won't bomb--they are all winners. And Verizon apparently has plans up to a year ahead in new phones.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
BFD...

My Droid will be EOL when I decide to replace it. That's all that needs saying.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Notice the date for the Droid 1, that was 3 weeks ago....and they are still sending out Froyo to it.

Might mean the Droid wont see Gingerbread officially...

Cloppy

Reaction score
Notice the date for the Droid 1, that was 3 weeks ago....and they are still sending out Froyo to it.

Might mean the Droid wont see Gingerbread officially...

someone will make a rom for it. 2.1/2.2 can run on the G1. i rooted a G1 for a friend of mine and it works fine.

Million

Reaction score
ha...not even the DroidX yet and they got new ones comin already...

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
So what does this mean? Does this mean that the Droid X will be discontinued or It will come out with 2.2 Version only after that date?

W

warp

BFD...

My Droid will be EOL when I decide to replace it. That's all that needs saying.
This

Besides, the Eris and D1 got EOL and they still get supported. All this means is that the phone won't be sold after that date which isn't really a big deal. You can pretty much expect EOL for any phone within a year the way technology is moving.