Curiosity: Why Root the D3?

AHiLdesigns

Reaction score
From my admittedly limited understanding, the best benefits of having root access allows for different ROMs, overclocking, and other miscellaneous custom developments (internal and cosmetic). That said, it made a ton of sense to me for people to want to get more out of preceding phones. But right now I'm looking at this badass little D3 and I'm thinking to myself: it's already blazing fast; the UI improvements are slick and attractive, and there's virtually an app for everything with the market growing every day.

Clearly I'm not a tech guru, so please do forgive me if you find this thread as a glaring insult---I'm genuinely only looking to further my understanding of why we would want to Root the D3? Am I missing something huge?

The_Rick_14

Reaction score
The ridiculous amount of uninstallable apps has even me considering root on this one and I'm a guy who doesn't like to mess with my devices too much.

Yonnor

I r Teh Greetest
Reaction score
To remove bloat, and I miss the extra level of access root provides you. Once you have a rooted phone, and then go to a non-rooted phone its like torture :(

Venom51

Reaction score
Because when you spend 600 bucks or so on a device it should be yours to do with as you wish. Even when subsidized on a contract you are still paying for the device. It shouldn't be locked up and inaccessible to anyone but the carrier.

pyro6128

Reaction score
Because the phone is going to be so much faster without all of the preloaded crap constantly running. Plus root apps, backups, etc

spunker88

Reaction score
I want to get rid of the Verizon bloatware, and having it rooted will make custom ROMs a lot easier in the future when Moto/Verizon stop supporting new Android versions on it.

OP
AHiLdesigns

AHiLdesigns

Reaction score
Definitely am not disagreeing with you guys... valid points on all! Thank you. I must admit that they're points I can't really apply to myself though. I'm going to think outloud on it... feel free to bust my chops as you see fit! :)

My pragmatic side still is kind of chuckling at the idea that a product meant to deliver myriad usable apps would result in a consumer base who would rather root their phone to have apps built in than just use them as per the phones inherent composition. But I do have to agree its slightly lame to not have the ability to uninstall them.

The most pressing argument here of interest to me is the one regarding future use---when they stop supporting the OS on the particular model you own. See, it makes a ton of sense as a general consumer that when you fork out this kind of money that you'll get a lasting product. But as we know, realistically, this really isn't the case with the phones of today. If they're not making your phone to do new tricks with each new release, you've no want to upgrade. Sad, but true. So its thoughtful in a way to root your phone for that purpose I guess... but even then you'll still eventually land yourself in the void of technology obsoletion. Its just inevitable, even if its been extended by rooting.

The politics of ownership.... that argument is genuinely cool. But a bit boring to me personally. I really don't care about the ins and outs of contract vs cash. That's an ideal, and not even really one that could ground itself with a realist. In fact, its more giving the finger than it is actually attempting to make a change. But for me? I just want my phone to work as depicted, and as flawlessly as possible... because like I said before, obsoletion is always the end outcome with technology. There's never going to be an end-all-be-all of smart phones. Supply vs demand dictates that fact. Sobevven if we all literally owned our phones, you'd just end up storing it with your 8 tracks, atari, and polaroid cameras.

Fun thread! Next!! Someone sell me on this please, lol

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes but you also have to realize the speed at which these devices are upgraded, compared to how often the OS is updated.

I've wanted about 4 phones since I got my D1 almost 2 years ago. But it still works fine with the ability to update/ROM the phone to the smoothest ROM available. We have 2 year contacts. If I was stuck without root on this phone, I would have already upgraded again, because even vanilla android with some Verizon bloat would suck this into oblivion.

My $.02

OP
AHiLdesigns

AHiLdesigns

Reaction score
@guidot
Agreed! But I think its more important to note that we're not just talking OS when it comes to smartphones, we're talking technology on the whole---which by default includes hardware.

And yeah I totally hear you, I sat on my D1 with the same experience you did, wanting so many phones. I should have rooted. It would have made sense... but I didn't for inconsequential reasons. 2 years years is a hell of along time to wait, but it only is long by comparison. Specifically in comparison of your model vs the influx of better devices (which, to be fair to all, is actually consumer behavior training to keep you spending money).

Thinking of it like that, a person would naturally make due with what they had if all of the smartphones were evenly weighted, regardless the amount of years passed. We did in the 90's with pagers, lol. With the current competitive market, I think the trend has already turned to hardware essentials vs lifestyle compatibility... with the best selling phones being those landing said keynotes in one stroke to their demographic.

Which says to me, ultimately the hardware is going to keep getting better... which sums the consumer equation quite simply into: eventually your smoothed OS rom will never be able to compete in the patterned "5yr" countdown cycle to being uncomfortably behind the times.

This D3 is a strong little phone though, you might just prove me wrong. Stupid time-will-tell scenarios! I need a TARDIS. ;P

Reaction score
Here's the thing only a small number of android users root their phones. The majority of them don't even know about it. If you never visited any forums and went to any android web sites that talk about it you would know nothing about it. Its a big deal on all the forums that I go to and it gives the aperance that everyone does it. I find It funny when it dictates what phone people will buy now I see why people do it and I've rooted and did the rom thing on my dx for awhile but got bored with it. I got tired of looseing certain things that I liked on stock. Some of witch I could still use but not everything. I will root my d3 just to get rid of the bloatware but that it for me. I love android because of what it can do without having to root my phone that no outher phones can do. But I do see why people root their phones but its not for everone. I would just like to see an update more then anything.

OP
AHiLdesigns

AHiLdesigns

Reaction score
@spacecasespiff
Thank you for the sobering words. You know, I hadn't really thought much about the amount of people who root, so I find that pretty interesting! You must be right, because I've mentioned it to friends and always have to overview what it is, lol.

I must be more like you so far. Except I really don't mind the bloatware. Its not slowing me down any... but I only have 30 or so apps installed. This system is so sound compared to my D1, I don't really feel like I need half the apps I was using before for customization & workflow/productivity.