Cropping pics and google bar

blackterry

Reaction score
How do I set pictures to the wallpaper without having to crop them I don't want just my daughters nose in the picture.

And

How do I get rid of the Google search bar that is on every single screen that I never use.. ??

Lucas5

Reaction score
I think you'll probably need to resize the picture of your daughter so that it doesn't get cut off. Quickpic, a free picture viewer in the market, might be able to resize the picture and set it as your wallpaper in one shot. i think. you can't get rid of the google search bar unless you install another launcher. (alternative launchers: Apex Launcher, Nova Launcher or ADW both are free)

OP
B

blackterry

Reaction score
Why didn't I ever have to resize photos with my Razr..??

Those launchers you're talking about do they void warranty..?? What are the advantages of using a aftermarket launcher..??

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
No, using another launcher does not void your warranty. Apex, Nova and GoLauncher are the most popular with ICS/JB. With another launcher you can do much more customization including getting rid of the Google search bar, changing icon, changing size of icons & widgets, etc.

jaseman

Reaction score
How do I get rid of the Google search bar that is on every single screen that I never use.. ??

You can get rid of the bar by going in to setting, apps, all and disable "Google Search". You may have to uninstall any updates before you can disable it.

Redsnk95

Reaction score
You should be able to long press on the Google search bar and then move it up to the X-Remove. I have the search bar only on one screen right now.

I am curious about the wallpaper thing, because I hate that it crops the picture.

lowboydrvr

Reaction score
The wallpaper systems of the Droid Razr and Droid Razr HD are different. The original Razr's wallpaper was larger than the screen and actually moved when you changed screens. On the Razr HD, the wallpaper is now static (thanks in part to the settings screen being on the left of the home screen). Since these systems are different, wallpapers that worked on the Razr will probably need to be modified to "fit" the Razr HD.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
As far as cropping pics for wallpapers, download the app "Wallpaper Wizardrii" from the Market, awesome wallpaper setting app.

And for the Google search bar, if you are using the stock launcher, its there forever, you can't do anything about it. Moto doesn't let us customize the home launcher like we want to.

I would suggest looking at either Nova Launcher or Apex Launcher if you want more control.

Redsnk95

Reaction score
Thanks for the app recommendation, will check it out.

Update: Thanks the app worked great, still need to test it out more. But I was able to get a good picture of my daughter as the wall paper finally!

jaja714

Reaction score
You can get rid of the bar by going in to setting, apps, all and disable "Google Search". You may have to uninstall any updates before you can disable it.

Works like a champ but it doesn't give you access to that newly empty real estate at the top of the screen. That is, you can't move other widgets (like Circles) in that spot. So, I reenabled Google Search as it is useful sometimes ... especially for people using my phone who are unfamiliar with Android OS.

NOTE: If you previously disabled Google Search and want to reenable it, it may no longer appear in alphabetical order within the ALL APPS list. If that happens to you, scroll to the very bottom and Google Search should be there.

lowboydrvr

Reaction score
Works like a champ but it doesn't give you access to that newly empty real estate at the top of the screen. That is, you can't move other widgets (like Circles) in that spot. So, I reenabled Google Search as it is useful sometimes ... especially for people using my phone who are unfamiliar with Android OS.

NOTE: If you previously disabled Google Search and want to reenable it, it may no longer appear in alphabetical order within the ALL APPS list. If that happens to you, scroll to the very bottom and Google Search should be there.

Even if you uninstall (disable) the Google Search bar, the top part of the screen is dedicated for that purpose and cannot be used in the normal launcher. The only way to recover that space is to use a 3rd party launcher (i.e. Nova).

jaja714

Reaction score
Even if you uninstall (disable) the Google Search bar, the top part of the screen is dedicated for that purpose and cannot be used in the normal launcher. The only way to recover that space is to use a 3rd party launcher (i.e. Nova).

Yes, that's kinda what I meant when I said "but it doesn't give you access to that newly empty real estate at the top of the screen.".

Watchdog

Reaction score

I did this, but then lost my voice recognition ability on the keypad for texting, etc. I re-enabled because I like not having to finger type...

But I had already filled my screens the way I wanted and was worried that my icons would be moved around. They weren't. The Google bar came back narrower so everything fit.

Watchdog

Reaction score
You should be able to long press on the Google search bar and then move it up to the X-Remove. I have the search bar only on one screen right now.

I am curious about the wallpaper thing, because I hate that it crops the picture.

I tried to long press the Google bar away and it didn't work. It wouldn't engage at all.