credit card # stolen on market, BEWARE

parsonsproject

Reaction score
Ah dang now I'm getting worried. Got my droid yesterday, made a single market purchase for $2.99, and today see three other $1.00 charges on there in addition to the $2.99... online banking still shows those as processing so not sure what the description is yet, but... :unsure:

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
I've had my Droid for a little over a month. I have yet to purchase a single app. I have been loosely following this thread and based on what I read here I'm very hesitant to buy anything. I find it hard to believe Google checkout is unsafe and have used it on computer before, but there seems to be a lot of these stories so it's hard to ignore

parsonsproject

Reaction score
Haha so I checked this morning and the $2.99 app and all 3 $1.00 charges are gone. Those $1.00 just could have been tests to ensure the account was valid, but, right now I don't have any charges for the app, have to check back in a day or so...

OP
evilsock

evilsock

Reaction score
So far, we have no real evidence that this actually happened. How do we know that evilsock isn't an evil sock puppet out to damage Google's credibility?

And don't pull the old "an evil sock puppet would never use evil sock as their name". You probably believe the Google "Don't Be Evil" motto too, don't you? :)

Anyway, even if true, there's lots of ways to steal these card numbers, including simple guesswork. I've heard that in the case of store-bought gift cards, people will copy down a bunch of numbers, and then they'll keep trying the numbers until someone buys them and activates them. So maybe it's not Google Market that's compromised at all, maybe it's these Walmart credit cards.

tom

tom
Honestly I think it was something besides Google Checkout. Maybe Walmart or something with the user's computer (idk how you activate these).

yes thats it , anyway back to reality, ill scan the fax from walmart when they finally put it back in my acct. to make anyone happy and im not slandering google, read the post i said i was mad 1st few post and hasty, re read it and it said they were sorry my card was compromised on their system, not saying its their fault, nor do i care whos fault, just making everyone aware. as many have stated if a hacker wants your info it doesnt matter the sites creditability, i.e. paypal, amazon, and many others have all been hacked. this thread is to make every app hungry person like me who has 60 - or so apps in and out of my phone a month, it would be easy to miss a charge of 99 cents here or there, but it would add up and if not caught start 30 dollar charges like mine. so just letting everyone know to check their statements.
but the evil sock puppet thing might be true too. :icon_evil:
no really my 17 year old cat that passed last years name was socks. people allways said he was my evil twin bc we were attached at hip, there u go

OP
evilsock

evilsock

Reaction score
I've had my Droid for a little over a month. I have yet to purchase a single app. I have been loosely following this thread and based on what I read here I'm very hesitant to buy anything. I find it hard to believe Google checkout is unsafe and have used it on computer before, but there seems to be a lot of these stories so it's hard to ignore

dont let it, its no more un safe than any online transaction. u have a droid, use it. visa backs any fraud charges with full refunds up to 1000 bucks after that they keep 50 bucks, just do what i did, get walmart money card JUST for droid market. there is option online to have email sent after every transaction. hook it to your gmail on your droid. bang, any email u get u didnt do, (if it ever happens, bc out of 600,000 droids sold and im 1st to complain) just call wal mart. yes it was a pain but dont let it keep u from all the apps that make the droid what it is.

OP
evilsock

evilsock

Reaction score
Haha so I checked this morning and the $2.99 app and all 3 $1.00 charges are gone. Those $1.00 just could have been tests to ensure the account was valid, but, right now I don't have any charges for the app, have to check back in a day or so...
the 1 dollar or so charges are holds not charges, they just send those out to make sure u got the money in there and if u dont refund app in 24 hours then they charge. its all in the fine print in google checkout

nag228

Reaction score
For what it is worth, I just recently had my Paypal account broken into and a payment made to a company called NCsoft Europe. Paypal notified me about 30 seconds after this happended and suspended my account automatically. Kudos to them for catching this so fast. I then had to call and reset my password and security stuff. They suggested I use a security key, which they are mailing to me. They also suggested I use a second security key, which whenever I login to my paypal account I must also enter a 6 digit key that they send as a text message to my phone. The code is only valid for 1 minute or so. Next login the process repeats with a new code. I highly recommend this for Paypal users.

I've been using a paypal security key for a couple years after fraudulent activity on my account. I also use the paypal plugin which I can generate temporary credit card numbers for single or multiple purchases. I generate single use card numbers for online purchases where I can't use my paypal account. This is the only way I shop online. Although I have to use google checkout for the market, the credit card number was generated via the paypal plugin.

NanDroid

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
I've been following this, and it does worry me. I am trying to find the best solution. Maybe the Paypal key?

I had forgotten this, but I bought some disc recovery software online. A year later, I get a statement with a $75 charge. I could not figure out what it was for. After searching, I found out it was for an update. Update?? I did not get or ask for any stinking update. American Express took care of it with no hassle. Thank you to AE.

My Mastercard declined one charge and called me about it for an out of country charge. It was a good charge, by me. I was glad to know they were sitting right there, real time, watching. When they called, I was away from the phone. I checked the message, called them and asked why my card was declined. They explained that it was an unusual thing and wanted to verify. This all occurred within 10 minutes of trying to execute the charge. I was glad they did this, but at first, it was bewildering. Thanks Mastercard.

As, I told a member, years ago, a drunk hit me. Cops gave him my insurance info and his to me. About two months later, insurance company called and wanted info on wreck I was in a few days earlier. I was not in any wreck a few days earlier. Long story short, guy had kept my info, ran a red light, hitting two cars and gave them MY name and info. Insurance company got the FBI involved (skinny ties with Arrow shirt guys), and they sent him to big boys prison. This was many years ago. I never trusted anyone after that.

It may be fine to use a credit card. But, I may investigate the temporary setup with Paypal,

moosc

Reaction score
yes that is what happens the ping your account pending then in a day or the full price of your app will be debited

pmas

Reaction score
Beware: Android Market and Credit Card Fraud

Just a little "heads up" to all.:
I have a credit card specifically for the market. It is not used anywhere else and never was. I have paid for several apps. I have had my Dorid for only a month.
I received a call from my credit card company's fraud department. They asked me about several charges to my card that were placed on Jan. 15/16. They were all internet based transactions, and they were not mine. Luckily, I am not responsible for the several hundred dollars in fraudulent charges, but it is quite an inconvenience.
My advice is simple:just be aware that the apps and developers in market are not controlled or screened. Though the market is full of respectable devs, there are scammers/criminals as there are everywhere these days.
Use caution.

voodoodaddy

Reaction score
there have been several threads about this. Ive personally only bought 1 app and all these stories are enough to keep me from buying more any time soon. Seems the majority of the problems are coming from app developers in the UK I think, or at least non-US based transactions.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Merged............

billyk

Reaction score
Not sure if this was mentioned earlier, but you should check to see if your bank offers a "Shop Safe" tool that allows you to have a one-time-use "proxy credit card" number for your online purchase that is approved for the specific amount of that purchase. Many leading banks now offer this option and it's the only way to go.

Still doesn't address the criminal activity on the market though. It just makes it so they can't get a dime from your account.

ink

Reaction score
Has anyone who's had this problem after using the market checked the permissions of the apps on their phone? Maybe another app has account permissions?