credit card # stolen on market, BEWARE

evilsock

Reaction score
i got a wal mart visa just for droid since apps cannot be billed, have many apps with no probs, then i got one or 2 from UK, (still trying to find out wich one it is), then all of a sudden i notice 99 cents i didnt charge, once or twice, then all of a sudden 29.94, 30 bux, another 30 bux, gone from random places and websites in UK, this is no joke i will provide any help/proof needed, no slander of google or market here , people just need to be aware this happened, bc it mocked app prices for a month before i caught on , check your statements!!:icon_evil:

DebDroid

Reaction score
Oh wow! I am sorry that happened to you! That's a good idea getting a walmart visa, though

OP
evilsock

evilsock

Reaction score
did that bc ive had identity stolen before and yes it works great for driod market, untill it gets stolen, lol, but im glad US apps are not reporting any probs, ill just keep i music tao and all the foreign apps i have and cut off any over seas transactions on card, great option to have, thanks wal mart!

OP
evilsock

evilsock

Reaction score
very smart to get a prepaid visa...are you liable for the illegal charges?
nope im getting it all back i just had to fax a report of the ones i did in fact pay for from UK and all the others have different info so its obvious when it doesnt say "google checkout" as 99 percent of all other charges state.
this needs to be a sticky, btw

Retribution

Reaction score
This really doesn't make any sense to me, yeah sure the timing is a bit strange and the location( are you sure the apps were really from the uk or you just guessing because the price was in euros?) anyhoot the reason I say its strange is because when you purchase an app from the app store you are providing your credit card info to google checkout and not the developer of the app... anyhow my two cents.

OP
evilsock

evilsock

Reaction score
This really doesn't make any sense to me, yeah sure the timing is a bit strange and the location( are you sure the apps were really from the uk or you just guessing because the price was in euros?) anyhoot the reason I say its strange is because when you purchase an app from the app store you are providing your credit card info to google checkout and not the developer of the app... anyhow my two cents.

there is no other way bc this card was bought only for my droid, i have not used it one other place, after i entered the ## in my droid on google i put it in my safe, where its been ever since, and i have spoken with wal mart and visa , 2 of charges were in a retail store in UK , not online, so im pretty sure i havent been to the UK, and the ones that were not in retail stores were in UK as well , so yes this happened 3 days ago and i waited for visa to confirm they were false charges before i posted,

Last edited:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
This is HIGLY unlikely.

Google Checkout uses the same SSL securities banks do and there is no peer to peer transactions that take place.

alf

Reaction score
Had same thing happen, only a couple of .99 and one for 1.99 no 30.00 yet. but it did happen. I let it go thinking maybe got billed twice for some reason, and they were all over seas apps?

Retribution

Reaction score
Ok well I am at a loss for an explanation. There would be much bigger problems if Google checkout security was breached there has to be another explanation

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
While it does have SSL certificates it doesn't mean it's 100% safe. Seeing as how i doubt any of us truly know how google checkout fully functions. Do they act merely as a proxy and still provide those companies with your CC info, or do they charge you and send the money to the companies who sell the apps? Is there certain things in the middle of doing either of those or at the end that could compromise a CC, i'm sure there is. Nothing on the internet is 100% safe, if someone wants it, they will find a way to get it.

For instance, the Iranians who hacked into the video feed off of the UAV's that Air Force flies with 30$ over the counter software. And heck that's the military.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok well I am at a loss for an explanation. There would be much bigger problems if Google checkout security was breached there has to be another explanation

It may not be that google checkout was comprised at all, it could be the vendor he bought it from.

Retribution

Reaction score
Well that's the thing google checkout works similar to paypal, the vendor doesn't even get ur email address let alone ur credit card information.

zasran

Reaction score
I thought the point of google checkout is that the vendor DOES NOT see the creditcard info. At least that's what http://checkout.google.com/ say (before you sign in):

Shop with confidence.

Our fraud protection policy covers you against unauthorized purchases made through Google Checkout, and we don't share your purchase history or full credit card number with sellers.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wow this is kinda worrying. I hope nothing like this happens to me. I got a call from my bank about some fradulent charges but it turns out it was just me going on an android market spree lol. I hope they'll stil notify me if real frdulent charges are happening.