Creator of Humorous Fake Steve Jobs Blog Calls New iPhone and Apple "Boring"

jseah

Reaction score
there is an adapter that can be used for the old style dock connector. There are thousands of aftermarket accessories for the iphone, all utilizing that old connector. I wonder how many people will buy the i5 thinking that they can keep using their old accessories, only to find out that they have to use a new adapter that just kinda looks out of place. sure the adapter will work with some stuff, but others just can't have the same functionality with that adapter sticking off the bottom of it.

For those who have purchased spare chargers and cords, the adapter will work fine. However, for those who purchased those expensive, but popular, speaker docks or the less popular extended battery packs, the adapter won't work well with it.

jayman350

Reaction score
Plus the adapter isn't included with the phone. Its a 29$ extra that you have to pay for!!!!!!!!

what, did you expect them to just give it away? This is Apple after all :icon_ devil:

For those who have purchased spare chargers and cords, the adapter will work fine. However, for those who purchased those expensive, but popular, speaker docks or the less popular extended battery packs, the adapter won't work well with it.

yeah thats exactly what I was thinking, ihome-type docks and the like will all need to be replaced with a newer version. Not a big deal for some, but could be a huge deal for others.

The market has been so flooded with i-accessories for so long, and people have taken them through multiple device versions with no problems. I think Apple could hurt themselves (but probably won't) by rendering all of those items useless.

Paul_Aris

Reaction score
Yes, Apple is usually pretty good about inovating new technology but they are also very good at being the first to drop older technology before everyone is done with it and it never seems to hurt them. For example, I remember when every PC still came with a 3.5" floppy drive and apple just cut them out of all of their products.

The 2 biggest things 1. when they dropped OS 9 to go to OS X which was unix based. 2. When they dropped the old Chip sets to adopt the intel chip sets. I mean these were so radically different it would have put most companies out. Apple was able to do it and rather seamlessly on top of it. I doubt a new charger/data connector is going hurt them at all.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
OS X and new chipsets didn't render peripherals useless. Granted the income of the average iPhone users is generally at a level that dropping a bit on new accessories won't kill them, but I don't know anyone who feels happy about having to update multiple accessories at once. Regardless of disposable income having to buy hundreds of dollars in new hardware isn't going to sit well with anyone.

Paul_Aris

Reaction score
OS X and new chipsets didn't render peripherals useless. Granted the income of the average iPhone users is generally at a level that dropping a bit on new accessories won't kill them, but I don't know anyone who feels happy about having to update multiple accessories at once. Regardless of disposable income having to buy hundreds of dollars in new hardware isn't going to sit well with anyone.
I

I'm not a iphone user so I am not sure but why would someone have or need hundreds of dollars worth of hardware with an iphone? Now a new OS or a new chipset renders a lot of your old software useless which is thousands of dollars. Especially if your running the Adobe design suites and things like that. Apple had to get all of their developers like Adobe, Macromedia, microsoft and a alike to right all new sofware that would run on these new OS's and chipsets. That is a huge task and the software was needed by many professionals. Like I said Apple is good at it.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What? You guys don't like the new iPhone? I'm sorry, we can't hear you over THE FOO FOO FIGHTERS!

jseah

Reaction score
I

I'm not a iphone user so I am not sure but why would someone have or need hundreds of dollars worth of hardware with an iphone? Now a new OS or a new chipset renders a lot of your old software useless which is thousands of dollars. Especially if your running the Adobe design suites and things like that. Apple had to get all of their developers like Adobe, Macromedia, microsoft and a alike to right all new sofware that would run on these new OS's and chipsets. That is a huge task and the software was needed by many professionals. Like I said Apple is good at it.

There are tons of different powered external speakers/stereos or alarm clocks where the user can plug in their iPhone or iPod Touch and wake to their music. These can cost anywhere from $20 to over $100. Since the iPhone/iPod plugs into the unit like a docking station, the plug redesign have basically made these worthless since they really won't work well with the new adapter. Read the following article:

Design Thrills Apple

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Lightning port seems silly and dumb to me. Most people are gonna just buy the adapter, not a plethora of new devices. Also, most people aren't going to want to buy a ton of new adapters. With that, having only one or two is going to just be a nuisance having to take it out for all your different iPhone accessories. Plus, it's small and can get lost easier and things of that nature. So to me it's a bad move.

Paul_Aris

Reaction score
I never really liked the old adaptor. They should have just done Mirco USB years ago. But the new one does look to be a smarter move the old. Also, I like how it doesn't matter what direction you plug it in. I always get my micro usb the wrong way at first it seems.

Paul_Aris

Reaction score
Best Display on a phone yet. I am guessing the .3 smaller size will still be better with how clear and the resolution of this display. True 16:9 aspect ratio, Full SRGV color specification. Touch sensors are integrated into the display itself making it thinner, brighter and 30% more sensitive. How many companies take a phone with the same features and reduce it size (Volume) and then add a bunch of new features and fitting it into this smaller size? Sure a lot of these features are what others already offer but they also have larger clunkier devices because of it. Its 802.11 N as well.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I never really liked the old adaptor. They should have just done Mirco USB years ago. But the new one does look to be a smarter move the old. Also, I like how it doesn't matter what direction you plug it in. I always get my micro usb the wrong way at first it seems.
Why would they go to Micro USB? That would mean that you could use chargers and transfer cables from anyone rather than further having to buy into the Apple ecosystem :p

Apple apparently has created the world's first LTE smartphone that DOES NOT support simultaneous LTE data + voice.

iPhone 5 won't support simultaneous voice and data on Verizon or Sprint | The Verge

I
t sounds a bit misleading, but it isn't going to be much better on AT&T. When you make a call on the AT&T version, LTE won't work either and will only work with HSPA+.
More fail for the iPhone 5. The AT&T exclusive thing was one thing before, but to continually end up with only one major carrier, especially when it isn't the predominant carrier in the U.S., having capabilities that others don't is silly, though I would assume that T-Mobile could make voice and HSPA+ data happen as well.

Regardless, the iPhone 5 remains an incomplete release in its current form. If Samsung, HTC, and others can manufacture devices to the specs necessary for each of the carriers who sell them, why can't Apple? Not the way to compete.

I also wonder what will happen with iPhone 5 sales in Japan considering that almost every other manufacturer makes a variant of their devices that is waterproof specifically for the Japanese market and seemingly that is something else that Apple has neglected to do with this release.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, I retract everything I've said. Apparently we were all wrong and the iPhone 5 is amazing:
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdIWKytq_q4[/video]

James9109

Reaction score
I'll probably buy the iphone since its reliable, haven't had much luck with my droid that I have had for over a year and a half. :mellow: