Creating your own themes/images with MM

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by mootsucks, Mar 4, 2010.

1. mootsucks

mootsucks Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone point me in the right direction to making themes and different icons/whatever and how to implement them. I'll be sure to give back to the community w/ what I make!

Edit: Woops, thought I posted this in the theme section. Can someone move this?

2. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    How to MetaMorph/Theme - xda-developers

They know what they are doing.

Good luck.

3. mootsucks

mootsucks Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Does this apply to the droid as well? I know xda is HTC only

4. mootsucks

mootsucks Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That post on xda doesn't have much, and the videos are pretty convoluted.

I was reading How To: Creating Metamorph Themes - ModMyMoto - Software Modding Forums and Updates for Motorola Phones, which made sense; but its for the Cliq.

Does anyone have a blank theme for the motorola droid that I can build off of, and edit/implement it as I see fit.

For example, if I want to just change the slider image, I could:

1) open up the slider image
    2) edit and save it
    3) put that one file on the droid
    4) change the phones image

Thank you!

5. kevdog

kevdog Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd just download any Metamorph Theme and take a look at it. The first file you want to look at is the .thm file (use notepad++ or similar tool). Then go into each directory and you can see how its layed out.. Usually all of your changes are within the /res/ folder.

You might need to spend 20 minutes just looking at an example. Its very straightforward. The editing the images is actually the hard part.

6. mjones1052

mjones1052 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is the stock metamorph theme. It should include all of the major pieces. Also, what you can do is do an ADB pull of your phones system/app folder and you will find all the stock .apk's in there. you can extract each using 7zip and pull the res/drawable folders out.

Also, be sure to pay close attention to the .9 files. You can make some really whack looking themes if you don't do them right. And to do them right you need the Android SDK which includes the draw9patch program. And the eclipse SDK with the Android plug-in so you can push the draw9patched images through it to stretch them.

Just google search for for .9 png editing and you can find some tutorials. Basically, .9 patching stretches the image. Android devices use images this way because it allows it to store very small images and stretch them when they are used depending on the app and the device it's being used on. The draw9patch program actually tells the OS where to stretch it. You will draw some dots down the right and bottom completely. Then on left and top you will put either 1 or 2 dots depending on how the image needs to be stretched. Just check out some tutorials and you'll get it.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010