Creating and Restoring Backups - Complete Guide

rfranken

Reaction score
Thought I'd try this out on my DX with pretty much stock everything.

Backing up seemed to go fine, but restoring the backup seems to be hanging at dalvik-cache. It's been under an hour, but possibly over 30 minutes. I'm a bit concerned, but I don't want to screw with the restore process if I don't have to.

How long do I wait before I give up the ghost and pull my battery? And how crippled is my phone going to be?

As a newbie to this - Not. Thrilled.

yikes...seems like more and more people are having similar issues to what i have/had. you can read what i did above...but yeah..i am NO expert in any way shape or form. just a guy looking for answers like you.
I dont ever recall someone saying how long before one should give up on a backup....i'd like to know too. Longest i've waited is 45 minutes before i battery pulled. but lately i only wait 10 minutes before i give up.

doniago

Reaction score
I ETA'd on my last post, and I seem to be up and running now, but this was a great way to make a newbie pretty trigger-shy about high-level phone tricks. I hope anyone else planning to do this will read our posts before assuming the procedure works.

OP
maderschramm

maderschramm

Reaction score
I've had this thread re-opened by the moderators. I apologize for any inconvenience users have had in attempting to restore backups - that said, these instructions are currently the only way to flash backups onto the droid x.

The issues experienced are due to bugs in the clockworkmod recovery system.

I'll edit the op to reflect these issues some have been having and provide a warning to those who follow the instructions.

As always, none are responsible for end user phones on these forums but the end users. If you're trigger shy that may be a good thing - messing around with the /system files of your phone can lead to tears.

doniago

Reaction score
I'm just glad I didn't actually lose any data when I had to restart my phone after the restore froze it.

But yeah, until those bugs are addressed it seems as though there really should be a warning in place.

I look forward to the recovery system being fixed!

...as of this post I don't see any changes to the OP, which concerns me a little bit.

Thanks for the update!

Carpetman

Reaction score
To see how the backup feature functions you must first change something in your system: e.g. delete something off your home screen, a widget, anything. Do this now (make it noticeable to you - delete your clock or something).

• Go back to Koush's Boostrapper app
  • Click Boostrap Recovery
  • Click Reboot Recovery

You're back in clockwork recovery again.

• Navigate to "Backup and Restore"
  • Select "Restore" - this is where all your system flashes are kept, you should only have one.
  • Navigate to it, press the camera button. It will ask for confirmation
  • Select "Yes - Restore"

It will begin restoring your phone. It may take a minute. Once again do not do a battery pull. When it's finished you will be on the main menu. Select "reboot system now". It will boot you back into the operating system; however, now you're back to your flashed system file - you'll see the widget you had previously deleted returned to normal!

Video Demonstration:
YouTube - Bootstrap Restore

Reboot your phone. It will go right back into your regular interface - no clockwork recovery. The reason for this is in order to boot into the clockworkmod recovery the .apk checks for a minute file that basically tells the phone to redirect to the recovery - on a successful reboot with clockwork (if you have the .apk installed) it will delete this file so you don't boot back into clockwork unless you want to.

Backups are stored on the sdcard in /clockworkmod/backup - you can name them to anything you want in order to help you remember what backup they are (e.g. clean 2.2 or ssx)
When I go to "restore" you say there should be only one. I have 10. Now what do I do?

doniago

Reaction score
Just wanted to say that, after having some time to rebuild my enthusiasm, I tried this process again, and it appears to have worked without any problems this time around. Looks like the best advice is to make sure your backup has integrity before doing anything very serious (not bad advice in general really).

My biggest system change in the meantime may have been switching from Launcher Pro to Go EX, as under the former I was experiencing a lot of spontaneous reboots...not blaming the launcher, but am saying that switching launchers made the issue go away.

owwo

Reaction score
Just wanted to chime in with my DX bootstrap/restore experience.

I followed the steps and my rom (Apex 1.4.0) was up and running beautifully. Proceeded with restoring and got hung up here:

ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.0.6
Checking MD5 sums...
Restoring system...
Restoring data...
ManageAppsInfo.txt

I've also got a thread going on another forum that links other threads with the same problem. Some claimed to have resolved this issue, but didn't bother updating their posts with the solution.

Koush's Droid X Bootstrapper - Restore Problem

owwo

Reaction score
Well, I've just given up on the bootstrap restore and will be dl'ing my apps again from the market. Hopefully, somebody will be able to post how they resolved this issue.

doniago

Reaction score
Mind if I ask what launcher you're using? I had a similar problem using LauncherPro, but using GoLauncher my restore (the one time I tried it) worked fine.

I don't see why the launcher would be an issue, but it was the only major thing I'd changed on my phone.

mikey4226

Reaction score
new nandroids are not working

I'm not sure why, but it seems like after 2/6/11, none of my nandroids have worked. They all get the md5sum error when attempting to restore. I did rename them, but I made sure I didn't have any spaces in the name. Does anyone know why my current backups aren't working?

doniago

Reaction score
Just curious - what launcher are you using? I don't know if it's at all related, but I had problems when using Launcher Pro that went away when I switched to Go Launcher. Again, no idea whether it's in any way related, but could be I suppose...

mikey4226

Reaction score
I uninstalled and reinstalled Droid X Bootstrapper app and made another backup this morning. I just cleared system data and cache and tried restoring it now. It started the process, but it's hung up, here's what's on the screen:

Checking MD5 sums...
Restoring system...
libicudata.so

It's been there for about 10 mins now and hasn't progressed...any ideas? should I battery pull and SBF again? This is getting pretty annoying, so any suggestions would be a huge help!