1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Creating an app to enable USB host..

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by deaf leppy, Jan 30, 2011.

1. deaf leppy

deaf leppy New Member

Some friends and I had an idea the other day..
    We were at a place where the wireless network was encrypted with WEP, and we happened to have a netbook with us.. and a BackTrack live CD.. but no portable CD drive to read the disc. Nevermind why we wanted to boot the CD ( ;) ), but what I'm wondering is..

Would it be possible to make an app that enable a phone to act as a USB host, so that I could put an .iso on my SD card, enable the app, and boot my computer from the disc image on the "USB device" - my phone?
  2. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

This is not what USB host mode is designed for. USB host mode is for doing things like attaching a USB keyboard/mouse/etc. to the phone itself.

What you are trying to do would require an app that would be able to take an ISO, make it mount itself via the underlying Linux OS on the phone as a virtual CD/DVD device, and then present that mount point to the PC as a bootable USB device. I am not sure this would be at all easy, due to the fact that different PCs implement bootable USB in different ways.

It would be cool if it were possible, however, like I said; USB host mode isn't going to help you at all in this case.
  3. deaf leppy

deaf leppy New Member

Thank you a lot for the info, it'll be much easier to find information on this now that I know what I'm actually trying to do. >.<
    Any suggestion on a starting place?
Search tags for this page

app to enable usb host

enable usb host on android
enable usb host on htc thunderbolt
htc thunderbolt enable usb host
usb host htc inc2
usb host not enabled