Creating an Ad-hoc network for tethering

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jbwiden, Aug 27, 2010.

1. jbwiden

jbwiden Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just rooted using Motocache1's procedure. I verified I have root access and downloaded wifi tether. I set it up and my SSID shows up on my computer but I can not seem to connect to it. Any pitfalls that I may be missing?

restarting phone does not help.

Thanks,
    Jbwiden

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  2. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Can you describe the problem with a little more details?

Are you using Windows (known problem in some drivers)?
    Are you using MacOS (don't ask me)?
    Are you using Ubuntu Linux (known problem in some NetworkManager)?
    Did you enable access controls (known not to work)?
    Did you enable WEP or WPA (has issues)?
    Did you try Barnacle Tether (some report it better. I haven't tried it)?

What do you do to connect (click on the ESSID in _what_app_)?
    What happens when you do that?

Rather than make lots of guesses... feel free to share your details, and we'll go from there.

FYI I use Ubuntu 10.04 and only one time out of about four will NetworkManager successfully connect. I just keep clicking to connect until eventually it works. Sometimes if I'm bored I
    1. /etc/init.d/network-manager stop
    2. iwconfig wlan0 essid "AndroidTether"
    3. ifconfig wlan0 up
    4. dhclient wlan0

That manually seems to work 4/4 times.

E

3. jbwiden

jbwiden Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I was much too vague:

lenovo t410
    Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
    intel centrino ultimate-N 6300 agn (just updated drivers an hour ago, no luck)

Have tried on open and WEP
    access controls ussualy disabled but i have enabled them to see if it would help
    Tried barnacle but no luck
    I "click" on it in "access connections" I think it is a app from Lenovo (not microsoft)

It fails before the status bar reaches completed. It seems to be complaining about no DHCP response

Tried connecting many times with no success at all.

Edit: It just connected as I was typing in some more details... well hopefully it will be reliable. But I am pessimistic after it taking >3.5 hours to connect

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  4. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    ADDED AT THE END: Are you sure you're running a kernel which supports tether? Specifically the kernel needs two modules (nat and something else, I forget).

If you are running the stock kernel, you need to flash a new kernel. You can do this without changing your ROM or doing anything else. I use ChevyNo1's kernels. Others have said that P3DROIDs or CVcpcs are good. Pretty much any kernel from any ROM DEV on here is going to be better.

If you're NOT running the stock kernel, and have already either installed a new ROM from here, or a kernel, disregard this suggestion.

Ok, I'm no Windows expert but here are some suggestions.

Droid:
    1. Disable access controls
    2. Disable encryption (WEP /WPA)
    3. Change the ESSID so that we can eliminate Windows having cached something funky and retrying it. (AndroidTether2 should be fine ;)

Windows:
    1. Wait for the ESSID to show up.
    2. Open a command line window (windows-R, cmd<enter>)
    3. In the cmd window type ipconfig /all and look at the Wireless settings just to make sure _something_ shows up.

4. Keep hitting up-arrow and <enter> in that window to keep repeating that command

5. Click on the available networks and select your new ESSID (AndroidTether2?)

6. Keep hitting up-arrow and <enter>. We're looking for the input and output packets incrementing. We're looking for an IP address being assigned.

Your comment about DHCP was cut off, but this is what made me think of maybe switching kernels. DHCP is part of what the WiFi-Tether program does, so if there is bidirectional communication with your Droid, this would "automatically" work.

Regards,

Ehud
    Tucson AZ

5. jbwiden

jbwiden Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Note the edit at the end of my post:

It just connected as I was typing in some more details... well hopefully it will be reliable. But I am pessimistic after it taking >3.5 hours to connect

6. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe you're not going to be the poster boy for "I'm a person with low standards and Windows 7 was made for me" ;-)

Congrats on getting it to work. That also tells us that the kernel DOES support this. Remember also that the Droid isn't the world's strongest WiFi access-point. I generally have it 1-2ft away when tethering.

Regards

Ehud

7. jbwiden

jbwiden Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Really only 1-2 ft that is pretty pathetic. But I guess it makes sense strong Tx on wifi would probably burn up the phone in no time.

Thanks for the help,

Josh

Search tags for this page
banicale could not ad hoc
barnacle could not set ad hoc mode of wlan0

barnacle could not set ad-hoc mode of wlan0

barnacle wifi tether could not set ad-hoc mode of wlan0

could not create adhoc network wlan0 barnacle teather galaxy
could not set ad hoc mode of wlan0

could not set ad-hoc mode of wlan0

how to configure barnacle wifi tether
samsung galaxy ace forum