Creaky?

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just an inherent problem that's caused by having an entire back being removed to take the battery out.

And being made of plastic.

Just another facepalm... like no cam button.... or battery pull release... none of which will make me trade this beast in

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
Just another facepalm... like no cam button.... or battery pull release... none of which will make me trade this beast in

Small annoyances... I would have loved to have been in the production meetings with a tazer so I could zap a few engineers... however these are not deal breakers IMO.

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree the creak is the least of my worries just trying to see if there is a solution. Maybe adding some cushion to the interior back of the phone would fix it.

If I were not neurotic it wouldn't bother me.:p

RoyEP3

Reaction score
I agree the creak is the least of my worries just trying to see if there is a solution. Maybe adding some cushion to the interior back of the phone would fix it.

If I were not neurotic it wouldn't bother me.:p

Neurotic person here! My phone has precisely located creaks that I cannot stand; so much so that I deliberately replicate the sounds over and over to convince myself it's bad enough to exchange it; and so that I can go to the customer rep at Verizon and poke at the creaks continuously until it bothers him enough to justify my return. Had to register on this forum just to even share my rant.

I poked around the back to see where the sounds were coming from and it in my case it seems that the creeks come from the walls of where the battery would go. If you rub your finger along those walls, you can pretty much replicate the sounds. It creates too much friction. I temporarily tore some scratch paper and put it along the edges and the creeks have gone away for now. Probably some scotch tape or electrical tape would smoothen out those walls so that the battery wouldn't make noise rubbing up against it.

J

JriderG

This same thing was happening with my Droid x the first week. I bent the battery case slightly so it would fit tighter. This fixed my problem, but I don't know about the bionic, never held it.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Im lacing it with dynamat

creaky

Reaction score
Damn, I thought someone was looking for me....

[witty pun concerning the current ROM and custom memory script on my device]

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Damn, I thought someone was looking for me....

[witty pun concerning the current ROM and custom memory script on my device]

Nah this isn't craigslist lol but good username i see people misuse mine as well :/

shankomatic

Reaction score
Verizon sells replacement standard battery covers for $4.99, so if it wears out you can buy a few spares cheaply. I am on a two battery rotation, so I should order a second on to have on hand.

Eallan

Reaction score
Neurotic person here! My phone has precisely located creaks that I cannot stand; so much so that I deliberately replicate the sounds over and over to convince myself it's bad enough to exchange it; and so that I can go to the customer rep at Verizon and poke at the creaks continuously until it bothers him enough to justify my return. Had to register on this forum just to even share my rant.

I poked around the back to see where the sounds were coming from and it in my case it seems that the creeks come from the walls of where the battery would go. If you rub your finger along those walls, you can pretty much replicate the sounds. It creates too much friction. I temporarily tore some scratch paper and put it along the edges and the creeks have gone away for now. Probably some scotch tape or electrical tape would smoothen out those walls so that the battery wouldn't make noise rubbing up against it.

Glad i'm not the only one driven insane by minor build quality issues.

The atrix made all sorts of noise, some clever application of scotch tap fixed it right up for me. I'll likely do the same with my creaky bionic (which drives me nuts).

My SGSII is all plastic, and there are NO creaks.

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Would scotch tape be safe? Maybe electrical tape but I don't want an overheating issue. Or melting!

I had an extra back from my OG Droid and I opened it today to see if I pulled off the additional backing it had if it still had some stick but it did not.

As far as those who have never had a Bionic - you can't bend anything the back is the phone phone. The solution might be just a few strips of electrical tape to stop the noise.

I'm sure 95% of people who are not as neurotic as me wouldn't even notice.

And by the way I'm pretty happy with the build quality except for this - they should have made it metal like the OG Droid but I imagine they were trying to make it lighter.

rza49311

Reaction score
Mine doesn't creak but both the volume rocker and power button rattle a bit.

Eallan

Reaction score
Would scotch tape be safe? Maybe electrical tape but I don't want an overheating issue. Or melting!

I had an extra back from my OG Droid and I opened it today to see if I pulled off the additional backing it had if it still had some stick but it did not.

As far as those who have never had a Bionic - you can't bend anything the back is the phone phone. The solution might be just a few strips of electrical tape to stop the noise.

I'm sure 95% of people who are not as neurotic as me wouldn't even notice.

And by the way I'm pretty happy with the build quality except for this - they should have made it metal like the OG Droid but I imagine they were trying to make it lighter.

I agree, other than this, the build quality is nice.

Scotch tape is fine. it's not very sticky at all.

I doubt it gets hot enough for anything back there (mine doesn't)

rza49311

Reaction score
Mine doesn't creak but both the volume rocker and power button rattle a bit.

Well, mine has started to creak, mainly around the camera at the top. Also, the verizon logo at the bottom has started to rub off.

Speeding Wheels

Reaction score
My extended battery cover creaks significantly less than my standard cover did.
Theres still a slight creak sometimes.. but not like it was before.

I'm still not a fan of the design of the back of the phone.. I really wish they had gone with the DX styling for the battery covers.