Crash and then hang at boot animation

John.Edwards

Reaction score
Something weird yesterday, the D3 has been flawless otherwise.

clicked on the camera Icon, the phone locked up. after about 5 minutes of waiting I held the power button for about 30 seconds and the phone started to reboot. thinking it would be a few minutes I put the phone down. checked again in about 40 minutes to find it hung at the boot animation. Had to do a battery pull.

I was using Launcher Pro, and it was installed automatically when I activated - I thought it was odd that i could not switch launchers, so I uninstalled LPP. So far so good, but I have to admit, I like the launcher Pro Plus features much better than the stock, but the stock is better than the other manufacturer UI's.

I will give this a try for a few days, if I get another hang like this I may need to return the D3, my Droid was stable albeit slow with a froyo ROM.

OP
John.Edwards

John.Edwards

Reaction score
Ok - the problem is not Launcher Pro. I have had another hang requiring a battery pull.

If I get one more reboot today, I may go back to the Droid, at least the battery cover was easier to get off.

UPDATE: I contacted Motorola and at their request I went through a factory reset and did not sync at start. I manually installed the software, and had to reconfigure just about everything.

Next step I will try to run without the SD Card, I am wondering if the slow SD card (class 2 from the droid) is causing some of the issue.

Last edited:
OP
John.Edwards

John.Edwards

Reaction score
OK - After the factory reset the issue occurred yet again. I am running without the SD card and so far so good, uptime for over 100 hours. I am thinking class 2 cards may be problematic on the D3 - even when used for media only.

When I start to run low on space I will get something faster and hopefully have better luck.

Silver Member
Reaction score
i've had this issue occur more than once. i also got a core dump in the middle of using the camera app. vzw is sending me a new phone.

VandyDroid

Reaction score
My D3 also reboots when trying to use the camera, not every time but often and was glad to see that someone else was experiencing it also. This is my second D3. I love the phone but the first one kept rebooting and the droid icon would just stay put and I would have to pull the battery to get it to restart. I want this phone but the quirky little things happening with it are annoying. I have talked with Verizon and they are very helpful and even suggested I look at another type phone!! I don't want another type, I want the D3 to work without the reboots when I try to use the camera...dancedroid

Chiief

Reaction score
I had just obtained a Droid 3 today and through a bit of googling this topic is what came up. The same problem just happened to me and I only had the phone for around 5 hours. I downloaded a few apps, linked my facebook and gmail account, and was putting songs on the phone (while charging it on the laptop of course) when it froze up and attempted to reboot for around 15 minutes. I ended up pulling the battery. I like this phone for the features but this is a big problem.

Do you recommend I stay with this phone or shall I try a new one (any recommendations)?

OP
John.Edwards

John.Edwards

Reaction score
I have not had to pull the battery since the reset, and only a single random reboot (due to weak signal). I did opt for using dedicated apps for social feeds, and did not configure the my accounts for anything but basic email.

For the most part I am happy with the phone, and plan to keep it.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Chiief

Reaction score
I have not had to pull the battery since the reset, and only a single random reboot (due to weak signal). I did opt for using dedicated apps for social feeds, and did not configure the my accounts for anything but basic email.

For the most part I am happy with the phone, and plan to keep it.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Well the store I purchased the phone from said I had 30 days to give the phone a test run. I am hoping mine fixes itself because this is my first smartphone and I really like it.

Thanks for the help.