crap i dropped my phone and broke it

magicman11

Reaction score
I dropped it on cement from my car window and theres a huge crack through the front facing camera and the earhole. I just bought it 3 weeks ago. what should i do?

drewdown757

Reaction score
do u have insurance on it? if so pay the deductible, if not i would sign up for it, i think verizons window for insurance is within 30 days of getting the new phone

OP
M

magicman11

Reaction score
do u have insurance on it? if so pay the deductible, if not i would sign up for it, i think verizons window for insurance is within 30 days of getting the new phone

how much is the deductible and do they give u a brand new phone in box or a refurbished one?

tcayton49

Reaction score
Yes, the window is 30 days. I'm not sure what the deductible is. I think its $100, but don't quote me on that. You may get a new or refurbished one, but with the phone only being released a few weeks ago, its most likley that you will get a new one, but it is completely up to the insurance company.

OP
M

magicman11

Reaction score
Is there any way I can get a replacement through the warranty?

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
The warranty doesn't cover damage only manufacturer defects. If you don't have the insurance, you need to take the phone in and show that there is no damage before they insure it. This is of course to deter fraudulent claims.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
how much is the deductible and do they give u a brand new phone in box or a refurbished one?
Yes, the phone is covered under insurance, if you don't have insurance, you can't add it now then file a claim (insurance fraud). It is not covered under warranty because it was not a factory defect that you dropped your phone and cracked the camera and screen.

You get a "Certified Like New" phone with insurance, which is clearly stated when you get insurance, and in this case you're getting a better phone than what your current phone's condition is.

bbtkd

Reaction score
Also be sure to read the fine print. None of the insurance plans guarantee that a replacement will be the exact brand and model. If they don't have one exactly like yours, you have to take what they say is comparable. Chances are pretty good that the Bionic will be popular enough that they will stock enough of them to avoid having to give people something else.

We've had to replace my daughters phones three times, one time they did not have her feature phone - but she ended up with a newer/better model.

Also - deductible depends on the plan. Some are higher but offer unlimited replacement. Some are lower but only replace twice. I've also heard that some insurance providers try hard to disallow accidents as misuse, which is not covered. One case I heard about is someone dropping their phone overboard while boating. The insurance company refused the claim, stating that taking a phone on a boat was misuse!

Last edited:

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Yeah, might just have to suck it up. And also don't think that if something did actually fail inside the phone you can get it replaced via warranty, because they'll send you a new phone....after you pay the full retail price of $600. Sorry dude, total bummer.

Near the end days on my voyager the camera had like 5 cracks in it and still worked exactly as it did before. Though they don't make 'em like they used to...

thirsty1258

Reaction score
Insurance fraud really? It's not like he is saying its stolen to get two phones. Breaking your phone and ordering insurance later doesn't sound like fraud.

sent from my thunderbolt

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
You can stop by your local windshield repair shop and I've seen them fix gorilla glass screens like new for cheap and is invis...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

lazarus2297

Reaction score
Insurance fraud really? It's not like he is saying its stolen to get two phones. Breaking your phone and ordering insurance later doesn't sound like fraud.

sent from my thunderbolt

?? Are you serious.. that would be the definition of insurance fraud..

Sent from my Incredible 2 using DroidForums

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score

sent from my thunderbolt

Yes, that is totally insurance fraud.

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
The fraud is indicated by the attempt to make a claim on a product that occurred while in a state of coverage when in fact the item was not covered at that time.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums