Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
FoxKat said:
And so what's stopping you???? :icon_ devil:

Lol.... fear of being suspended for abuse of the like button ;)

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
nickram97 said:
OK so i see all of these post about the razr droping from places well i can top that.......:mad: i didn't even drop mine i have only had mine for a few weeks now and it pressure cracks on the inside of the phone i took my phone out and all i see is a tone of cracks inside the phone so i run my finger across the screen and there is nothing but a scratch and i thought this gorrila glass was suppose to be all that well right now i am very pissed off and dissatisfied with this phone right now!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

This seems more to be a warranty issue and not an insurance issue. Sounds like maybe the battery swelled and put pressure on the glass from the inside. Maybe it got too hot. Take it to a Verizon store and explain what happened. I can't imagine that it would not be covered under warranty.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
OK so i see all of these post about the razr droping from places well i can top that.......:mad: i didn't even drop mine i have only had mine for a few weeks now and it pressure cracks on the inside of the phone i took my phone out and all i see is a tone of cracks inside the phone so i run my finger across the screen and there is nothing but a scratch and i thought this gorrila glass was suppose to be all that well right now i am very pissed off and dissatisfied with this phone right now!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Pressure cracks are the hardest to understand for some, and I am very sorry for your experience. In your case however, the Gorilla Glass didn't crack, it was the display. That is NOT made of Gorilla Glass and IS succeptible to rupture due to excessive flexing or a strike in the right spot. The very fact that the Gorilla Glass didn't break but the display did is more proof of its extra strength. Still, it's very thin and that's both a good and bad thing. Good because with thinness comes increased flexibility without failure. Bad because it doesn't withstand flexing and add protection from flex to the display.

There have been many threads about peoples' phone displays breaking due to carring them in their front or back pockets and getting twisted or bent while doing things like reaching down to pick up something, or sitting on them. I have to laugh at how many times I see (mostly) girls walking along with their iPhones sticking out of their back pockets. I wonder how many wind up broken.

Another thing that perhaps lends this phone to greater risk from display breakage is that it is so thin altogether, that it therefore also becomes rather flexible when compared to other thicker-form factor phones of the past and present. Even though the laminate manufacturing and assembly is supposed to strengthen the entire phone - and it does, it still will bend and since the display is NOT Gorilla Glass, it is more succeptible to fracture due to flex.

One more possibility is that the battery inside may have swelled slightly (as is considered normal to swell upto 10% during lifetime), and that additional pressure from inside could be the cause. And yet there is still another possibility. When glass is cut, the edges if viewed under a microscope look like the edge of a rock outcropping with cracks and jagged edges and not the smooth surface we see with the naked eye. Each one of these tiny cracks at the glass's edge is an accident waiting to happen. The stress at those "fissures" is just a tiny flex in the right way at the right place away from a crack completely across the surface. We have to remember, we're carrying around a thin pane of glass...

Imagine if I asked you to carry in your pocket, a rectangular piece of window pane. You'd tell me no, because you'd be concerned that at the first sign of pressure it would snap and might cut right through your pocket into your leg. You'd be right. So we have Gorilla Glass to thank for both making us feel more confident to do so, and for protecting us when the display does break that it will hopefully not break with it and keep our leg whole.

We push and push for cutting edge technology and then when a company produces a RAZR (no pun intended), we find that we have to change our way of using that technology as the old ways don't work so well anymore.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
nickram97 said:

I'm sorry about your experience. BUT.. your not the first, nor will you be the last.

I love moto build quality but as devices get thinner and thinner, and wider and longer... you quickly reach a point where the phone or device has a rigidity issue.

This device doesn't have the same frame as say a Bionic or any of the previous generation moto phones. The phone flexes when put under torsional stresses.... and guess what gives...... the internal screen.

Not to point a finger in anyone's face but.... this is a thin device. That's why I keep mine in an otterbox defender. For just this reason...... when Samsungs flexible screen is perfected and others are implementing their version, these phones will be much more durable.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
FoxKat said:
Pressure cracks are the hardest to understand for some, and I am very sorry for your experience. In your case however, the Gorilla Glass didn't crack, it was the display. That is NOT made of Gorilla Glass and IS succeptible to rupture due to excessive flexing or a strike in the right spot. The very fact that the Gorilla Glass didn't break but the display did is more proof of its extra strength. Still, it's very thin and that's both a good and bad thing. Good because with thinness comes increased flexibility without failure. Bad because it doesn't withstand flexing and add protection from flex to the display.

There have been many threads about peoples' phone displays breaking due to carring them in their front or back pockets and getting twisted or bent while doing things like reaching down to pick up something, or sitting on them. I have to laugh at how many times I see (mostly) girls walking along with their iPhones sticking out of their back pockets. I wonder how many wind up broken.

Another thing that perhaps lends this phone to greater risk from display breakage is that it is so thin altogether, that it therefore also becomes rather flexible when compared to other thicker-form factor phones of the past and present. Even though the laminate manufacturing and assembly is supposed to strengthen the entire phone - and it does, it still will bend and since the display is NOT Gorilla Glass, it is more succeptible to fracture due to flex.

One more possibility is that the battery inside may have swelled slightly (as is considered normal to swell upto 10% during lifetime), and that additional pressure from inside could be the cause. And yet there is still another possibility. When glass is cut, the edges if viewed under a microscope look like the edge of a rock outcropping with cracks and jagged edges and not the smooth surface we see with the naked eye. Each one of these tiny cracks at the glass's edge is an accident waiting to happen. The stress at those "fissures" is just a tiny flex in the right way at the right place away from a crack completely across the surface. We have to remember, we're carrying around a thin pane of glass...

Imagine if I asked you to carry in your pocket, a rectangular piece of window pane. You'd tell me no, because you'd be concerned that at the first sign of pressure it would snap and might cut right through your pocket into your leg. You'd be right. So we have Gorilla Glass to thank for both making us feel more confident to do so, and for protecting us when the display does break that it will hopefully not break with it and keep our leg whole.

We push and push for cutting edge technology and then when a company produces a RAZR (no pun intended), we find that we have to change our way of using that technology as the old ways don't work so well anymore.

Dang... I was slow on the draw here lmao. But..... I concur....^^^^^

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Let us know if it is covered under warranty. Like FoxxKat and 94 says, it could be due to flexing by being in a pocket, purse or even setting something on it but that, to me is still a design flaw, therefore a warranty issue. If the phone is not capable of withstanding those situations then it should have some kind of warning on the packaging, especially considering people have been carrying their phones in their pockets since the beginning of cell phones so it is likely they will continue to do so. I don't think the phone was meant to be treated with kid gloves and it is advertised to be strong. Sure, dropping it to the floor is your fault, but everyday typical use the same as anyone does with their phone without any problems should be covered, especially that it is marketed to be "strong. " Placing your phone in and out of a clip on holster could cause flexing. Take it to Verizon. I believe it should be covered. Let us know.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Dang... I was slow on the draw here lmao. But..... I concur....^^^^^

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!
\

Das why dey calls him Quicks Draw McCaws....

No, wait...I'm FoxKat, AKA Agent 86, AKA...oh...whatever! :biggrin:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
FoxKat said:
\

Das why dey calls him Quicks Draw McCaws....

No, wait...I'm FoxKat, AKA Agent 86, AKA...oh...whatever! :biggrin:

Baahahahaha

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

satarecah

Reaction score
As for the screen shattering glad you got it figured out but I would say NFL receiver might be out of your job list lol

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Wow, you have a great car dealer, mine is close to incompetent. They've tried to charge us for warranty work. Once my wife's car had a recall and after the work was done they left a part off. She took it back and they made fun of her and said that she was making the car act up on purpose!

Sent by my new Droid Razr Maxx

TedaTac1

Reaction score
So this morning I woke up to my phone (droid razr) having the screen cracked on the inside of the screen/lcd (screen also would only appear with green and/or purple static look). I headed to Verizon immediately and now I will be getting a new phone covered by warranty.
Now, I've been sitting home for about 14 hours with a phone that is beeping (the alarm was set on it and all we can do is hit the power button to snooze it for 5 (or so) minutes.
I was told it has been an issue with the razrs lately, so I was wondering if anyone else has had the issue recently?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Welcome to DroidForums. This is not a problem I have heard of before so i believe it is a malfunction of your particular phone. Have you tried rebooting the phone to get it to stop or disabling it by going into the clock app to turn the alarm off?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Welcome to the droid forums..

TedaTac1

Reaction score
Phone won't do anything. The buttons to control volume of incoming calls works, only for the ring volume. The only other button that does anything for us is the power button and that's actually less then the volume control button. If we hit the power button for a moment it will snooze the alarm clock if that's going off, otherwise it just brings us to a screen containing green or purple static or a black screen. We've tried holding the power button for a different periods of time, but it won't doesn't do anything. A bunch of guys at verizon tried different things, because the alarm was going off when we were there, and they were unable to do anything to turn the alarm off.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Try holding volume down and power button for about 10 seconds until the phone reboots.