Cracked Brick.

droijo

Reaction score
Hello all,

A couple days ago cracked my gnex screen and has thus been a brick. I know it still works and when I connect it via mhl it still works perfectly I can see everything but since the screen and touchscreen doesn't work, I can't unlock and use it.

Do any of you have any solutions to this? I mean to control or get the phone out of lock screen to use? via the pc?

Note, the phone has already been replaced for the time being that I had but just curious since I can not use it, if I can access settings and just leave hotspot on or something similar.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you cracked the screen, that's not a brick. You probably just cracked it to a point where the screen and digitizer no longer function. Maybe you could try connecting a bluetooth mouse to it and use that? Idk.

**Or use USB OTG with a mouse. Bluetooth wouldn't work because you'd have to pair it and everything.

Last edited:
OP
D

droijo

Reaction score
Well, it's useless now, so to me it's a brick. :D

So seeing the usb otg, how can I make it work with the mhl adapter? Have you or anyone had success with using both?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
If you're just trying to get files off the phone you can just plug it into your pc and drag and drop.

OP
D

droijo

Reaction score
Well, like I said, the phone has been replaced. I ended up using a different phone for the time being. Replacing the screen and digitizer is not an option.

I am basically trying to see if I can get to the phone via the pc or something similar where I can get pass the lockscreen to go into settings and put the phone on hotspot. Or use it for movies, etc. I have the mhl adapter and I know the phone still works, but since the screen is cracked and the touch rendered inactive; I have no way of getting into the phone.

Do you guys have any ideas?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well, like I said, the phone has been replaced. I ended up using a different phone for the time being. Replacing the screen and digitizer is not an option.

I am basically trying to see if I can get to the phone via the pc or something similar where I can get pass the lockscreen to go into settings and put the phone on hotspot. Or use it for movies, etc. I have the mhl adapter and I know the phone still works, but since the screen is cracked and the touch rendered inactive; I have no way of getting into the phone.

Do you guys have any ideas?
In order to really use the phone through your PC you first need to install software onto it using the phone. With your screen unusable it's useless since you can't even confirm the install or load the app.

OP
D

droijo

Reaction score
In order to really use the phone through your PC you first need to install software onto it using the phone. With your screen unusable it's useless since you can't even confirm the install or load the app.

Exactly, thus why I'm asking if anyone have any ideas? Any apps that if I load onto my account via Google PLay on my PC will automatically run and turn off lockscreen? etc..

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Exactly, thus why I'm asking if anyone have any ideas? Any apps that if I load onto my account via Google PLay on my PC will automatically run and turn off lockscreen? etc..
I don't know of any apps and usually apps that have this capability aren't used for what you'll be needing it for. Usually these kinds of apps are trackers for lost phones.

I use AirDroid, but I don't think you can start the app unless you start it from the phone.

OP
D

droijo

Reaction score
Yeah I know, I was just curious if maybe someone here might have a cool app that can do something like that. Or something that will automatically turn on hotspot?

@shayne. The screen itself is around 200 give or take. Straight through samsung, the fix is 165. However, like I said; it's been replaced temporarily already and I don't plan on fixing it. My upgrade is soon so I'll wait it out rather than spend around 200 for an older phone.

shaynesgnex

Reaction score
Ouch, did not know the screen replacement was that high. My bad, just wasn't sure if you were looking to keep the nexus. Definitely better off waiting then.
For your problem, I've never seen or found a way to bypass the lock screen. I'm sure there's a way to do it, because is you can bypass a broken laptop or something, why not a smartphone that's pretty much the same. Not sure and maybe the more savvy folks know, would HDMI possibly work somehow?