CPU stuck at certain speed when charging

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by drpaul07, Jul 27, 2010.

1. drpaul07

drpaul07 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a stock 2.1 rooted droid and i recently started using setcpu to overclock when i play games and emulators and such (i'm using a p3droid kernel that goes up to 1GHz).

Setcpu works fine except when it is charging through the AC, it gets stuck at 600MHz and won't go up or down no matter what my charging settings are. I read through droidforums and found something that might explain why:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad/39948-setcpu-bug-2.html

Is this still an issue for you all? Or has there been a fix? Apparently this only happens when you charge it through the wall, and not when being charged using the usb on a laptop or computer. Can this cause any damage to the cpu if the speed is stuck at 600 while charging? What do you guys do about this?

2. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    550MHz is what VZW ships it at.
    600MHz is what Motorola says it's supposed to run.

If you fix your "charging profile" or don't use profiles it won't be sitting there.

However, it's not a problem in any case.

E

3. drpaul07

drpaul07 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well even if my max and min are both 250 for my 'charging profile' and i set it as the highest priority, the cpu speed still gets stuck at 600 and never moves from there. Its always the third cpu speed on whatever your kernel is it seems. You guys should test that out, cuz it seems to be a pretty common problem (when plugged into the wall, not a computer). So even if its consistently at 600 MHz all night long while charging, this doesn't cause any problems?

I know an unrooted droid runs at 550. Does it consistently run at 550 or does that fluctuate as well depending on its usage?

4. scoder

scoder Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Remove all profiles, or just the charging profile and this should not be an issue for you.

5. drpaul07

drpaul07 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm ok. Well i've tried the things you're telling me to do. Disable all profiles, set max and min to 250, then it jumps to 600 when i charge. If i have only charging profiles disabled, still jumps to 600. The widget will show Max:250 Min:250, but speed will show 600. I wouldn't have posted anything if the fix was that easy. But i appreciate your help and responses. I'll do a little more searching around. Thanks.

6. scoder

scoder Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Which rom/kernel are you using? Maybe there is a default setting in the rom which overrides SetCPU?

7. drpaul07

drpaul07 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am just stock 2.1 rooted. I used a low voltage p3droid kernel with max OC of 1GHz. The third frequency slot was 600. I switched today to a low voltage Chevy kernel with max OC of 1.1GHz. The 3rd slot there is 550. And the exact same thing happens with this kernel too. Just sticks at 550 when charging no matter what the settings. Otherwise everything works great with the kernel. Just this one thing thats bothering me a bit.

This is what someone said from that link i put:
    "This isn't a SetCPU issue - this is something at a much lower level with the Droid. I've noticed it as well, and reading your post made me realize that charging from AC is the trigger.

You can set CPU speeds manually by pushing the values into the scaling_max_frequency and scaling_min_frequency files inside the virtual filesystem /sys. This is effectively what the SetCPU app is doing.

When plugged in, the CPU has a hardware-enforced MINIMUM speed. Not a maximum! No matter what you set your scaling options to be, the Droid will not go below a certain speed, even if you set the maximum speed to be lower than that. That speed seems to be either 500Mhz, or whatever is in frequency slot #3 (which for me happens to always be 500Mhz)."

So maybe this is only an issue with 2.1 roms. Hmm.

8. xmguy

xmguy Active Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hello,

I just realized I too am having this issue. When I charge my D1 (running 2.2) it will lock on 550Mhz. Remove from charger and it works fine. I don't want my phone running at 1 Ghz overnight when docked and not in use. Any ideas? What Rom I'm using and Kernel are listed in my sig. THANKS!

9. dbol

dbol Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think this is a big deal. What OMAP3 temps are you showing when you wake up?

10. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There is a hardware limit on the Droid. Not necessarily a bug, just a strange undocumented behavior. I discovered the details through trials, others have found the same results. It is not a bug in SetCPU or any particular kernel or ROM.

No matter WHAT kernel/rom you are running, the droid has a MINIMUM speed of 500Mhz when it is charging. Even if you set both the minimum and maximum to be less than that, you will find that the processor overrides that and runs at 500Mhz.

The kernel does still play a role, though - the processor can only run at specific speeds specified by the kernel. If your kernel has a 500Mhz slot, it will run at that when charging. If you don't, it will run at whatever the next highest speed is - could be 550, could be 600, could be even higher, depending on the kernel.

Bottom line - make sure your kernel HAS a slot somewhere between 500 and 600 or so, because when you plug it in, that's where it's going to run, regardless of any governor, profile, or manual frequency scaling setting. If your kernel has 250, 400, 900, 1000, 1100 or something bizarre like that, it means that when you are charging, you will run at a minimum of 900, since that is the lowest speed above 500. I do not know what would happen if the kernel does not have a slot above 500Mhz, but I wouldn't recommend trying that.

Search tags for this page
android cpu is down freq when charging
android maximum cpu frequency charging
android stuck min frequency
charging mhz android
cpu speed locked when chariging
frequency lock while charging on any kernel
max cpu freq stuck android
minimum cpu frequency stuck in android

what is charging mhz in android

why my cpu stuck at certain speed