CPU overclock ability for droid x

SL-1200

Reaction score
Most interesting.

I must apologize to you from pete's forum cause i went and bought an X :\ :icon_ banana:

Just remember people, the EVO 4G has been overclocked to 2.3Ghz... (correct me if i'm wrong) but i'm pretty sure i read that somewhere. So its not hard to believe we could see 2Ghz once our community works their magic.

I believe the EVO (Snapdragon) has been overclocked to 1.267Ghz so far. Seeing that the original Droid's 600Mhz OMAP has been more than doubled in overclocked speed, it would be insane to see the X's OMAP doubled to more than 2Ghz!

Last edited:

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Basically however I believe the point of the talk from the other posts is this:

With the locked bootloader you won't be flashing a new OC'd kernal onto the X.

But ... You would have to edit parameters in the current kernal to OC it once rooted.

mike919

Reaction score
Basically however I believe the point of the talk from the other posts is this:

With the locked bootloader you won't be flashing a new OC'd kernal onto the X.

But ... You would have to edit parameters in the current kernal to OC it once rooted.

Thats what i gathered as well... we can still hold out hope that someone will crack it... I'm truely not holding my breathe.

Have we gotten ACTUAL verification that its digitally signed? from someone that HAS the phone in hand???

Phatdaddyz01

Reaction score
The Milestone has a locked bootloader, yet it has been rooted & overclocked. There is actually a free app in the Market (Milestone/Droid Overclock), that allows the Milestone to be overclocked with SetCPU without flashing anything. I used this app on my Droid when I first rooted, because I wasn't sure how to install kernals and it worked great. I believe that it only works for 2.1 though, I tried it when I went to BBv0.4 & it didn't work.

SO, if this is possible on the Milestone with a locked bootloader, it should be possible on the X.

wingdo

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity what speeds could you clock to with that app?

erikfig

Reaction score
Its depends on the kernels you use.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

wingdo

Reaction score
Its depends on the kernels you use.

Wait ... so the milestone with a locked bootloader can still get other kernels installed on it? I must be totally missing something here. I thought the bootloader had to be unlocked for kernels / ROMs to be flashed.

wingdo

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity what speeds could you clock to with that app?

The max was 1.2. I dont remember the other slots.

OK, just to make sure my feeble brain is getting this correctly at 1:45am, the Milestone's default kernel can be OC'd to 1.2 GHz? I may have to rethink my decision to pass on the X if root is broken on it.

qoncept

Reaction score
Wait ... so the milestone with a locked bootloader can still get other kernels installed on it? I must be totally missing something here. I thought the bootloader had to be unlocked for kernels / ROMs to be flashed.
The bootloaders are encrypted. That makes reflashing it harder, not impossible. Finding a way around these obstacles is what hackers do. Blows my mind when people see a new obstacle and suddenly think it's impossible. It's like traveling the whole Oregon Trail, then stopping at the last river crossing because "it's impossible."

lschmitt

Reaction score
The X will be rooted sooner than we may think. There is nothing that will "kill" the phone if the wrong firmware is on it. The only thing is that you will have to have the correctly signed bootloader in the new, rooted, ROM. If the wrong bootloader is attempted to be put on the phone, it will simply take you back into recovery until the correct one is loaded.

Also, the Droid X processor has more than enough room to be overclocked. Any processor can be overclocked if it's done right.

**The Droid can be overclock to 1.3Ghz now too**