cpu heats up very easily

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by bmb0205, Mar 12, 2010.

1. bmb0205

bmb0205 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am running Bugless beast V.6, smoked glass V.2 theme and home++, and chevy's 5 slot 1ghz kernel on my Droid running at 800mhz max. I'm using the paid TempMonitor to see how hot I'm getting, and I am very easily hitting 42-45 C when downloading a heavy game, or browsing one web page (on here, for example) or playing a game or listening to music on Pandora. I feel like I'm getting to the mid 40's way too easily for 800mhz. I am using a hard see through plastic case (2 pieces), but am getting very similar temps even with it off.

For example, right now I'm downloading ToonWarz at 800mhz and my CPU temp is at 45C and my battery is at 37C. No other apps running

Is there anything I can do to help keep the temp down? Would a different kernel run differently and help with the temp (if so what should I look for?), or is my Droid just not capable of OCing safely? It's kind of a bummer because I feel like it's running slow opening apps and that I need the OC :(

2. bmb0205

bmb0205 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just switched to 550mhz max, and hit 45C while loading a forum webpage without my case

is it possible apps are running without me being able to see/tell? I've been told app killers aren't the greatest to use

3. jasonb

jasonb Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    45 celcius is nothing to worry about. Once you start getting into the 50's then start worrying. Chevy's kernels run the coolest of any kernel I have tried, and I've tried them all. AdamZ low voltage kernels run about the same though.

4. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Your temps are fine... You don't need to worry. Remember this is NOT a computer and there are no heatsinks or fans... in essence the case acts as the only heatsink causing it to get warm but temps below 60C are completely fine. It doesn't take much to ramp the temp but you should level off well before you get anywhere near 60C+ (and the actually tech specs on the chip state much higher, I can't recall the exact temps though, but it's HOT!!).

5. bmb0205

bmb0205 Member

Ratings:
    +0

Alright thanks guys. My highest I believe was 47C, even with my failsafe set to 550mhz at 40C. I feel as if I was at lower temps using Chevy's 10 slot at 800-900 mhz, but I heard those are unsafe so I switched to the 5.

6. jasonb

jasonb Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just switched from chevy's 10 slot to chevy's 5 slot and the temps seem to be pretty much the same. I have been running both at 1ghz and haven't hit 50 celcius yet. With AdamZ old kernel I was seeing 52, sometimes even 55 at times.

Also SetCPU's failsafe is for the battery temp, not the cpu temp. I set mine at 40c and have only seen it kick in twice since switching to chevy's kernel.

#6 jasonb, Mar 12, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  7. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    The 10s are fine... Taz stirred up the pot for some reason with no proof and most of the kernel devs have said though his theory makes sense it's HIGHLY unlikely and they have seen NO proof of it in the code... Chevy still runs 10-slot kernels (least last time I checked) but started making 5-slots for those that would rather play it safe... Also set your governor in SetCPU to 'Conservative' if you want, it ramps/steps up the CPU less and can help with the heat (the recommended 'on-demand' setting jumps you to your max and then attempts (though poorly) to step down, but it seldom does).

8. bmb0205

bmb0205 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    55!? Damn....I just wish my Droid could handle 1ghz+ with no problems :(

9. jasonb

jasonb Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What's it do at 1ghz?

10. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
  11. bmb0205

bmb0205 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm... just tried it again and it hits 45 when browsing just like at 550 and 800. I guess it doesn't matter and I'll just keep it here haha

edit* 47C.....48C

#11 bmb0205, Mar 12, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  12. jasonb

jasonb Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm on the web right now on my droid typing this. I've been browsing the forum for about a half hour straight and my temps at 1ghz (on-demand) are in the 35 to 45 degree range. It goes up to about 42 - 45 while loading pages, and then drops down to as low as 35 during the short periods between loading pages.