CPU Controls and setCPU

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I now that the CPU controls are not a replacement for setCPU, but a compliment.

I have watched my boot animation fly, then slow down somewhat on boot.

Is that setCPU taking over and it throttling down during the boot process due to something I've set?

If I don't have setCPU set at boot, then it seems to me my profiles are not taking, etc. (I may be wrong).

CK, again, I turn to you on this, you have yours set fairly well. Soes one have both turned on?

I must be missing something, but want the oot to fly, and have my profiles taken without having to go into setCPU every reboot.

OP
RW-1

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes.

So I know that is likely what is causing the slowdown, right?

If I uncheck that, do setCPU profiles still go into effect after boot, or are they tied into it being checked?

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by slowdown...don't use the built in cpu controls and set cpu together. Use either one or the other by itself.

What are your profiles?

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
If I don't have setCPU set at boot, then it seems to me my profiles are not taking, etc. (I may be wrong).
If I recall correctly you can still have SetCPU fire up after boot, with out having to check the "Set on Boot" box, if you put the widget on your home. Just leave the widget set at "Passive" to save on CPU. When the widget fires up, so will your profiles.

OP
RW-1

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Pdroid:

min: 250 max: 100 ondemand (I now turned set at bot off)

Profiles:

CPU tmp: >45C 600/250 ondemand pri 100

Charging/Full: 600/250 performance pri 100
Charging USB/Full: same as above
Charging AC/Full: same as above

Screen Off: 600/250 powersave pri 100

batt < 71 900/250 ondemand pri 60
batt < 61 800/250 ondemand pri 70
batt < 51 600/250 powersave pri 80

Advanced:

300000, 50, 0, 0 not set at boot.

What I mean by slowdown; have custom droid X boot animation, flies at beginning, then when home keys light up and screen dims slightly, it slows down noticably, however I can say this ROM boots up much faster than anyhing else I've had.

Motocache, reloaded widget on passive, will I still get temp readings real time, or is that now passive as well?

I also note that after rebooting I still got that slowdown, might just be me, however if passive, why do I get a SU notif when opening setCPU? I told it to remember the first time.

Reaction score
Can i just ask for the benefit of those that might not know (like me). But why would you use SetCPU when Sapphire has its own throttling profiles?

OP
RW-1

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sapphire has min/max and governor settings, however it does not have profile capabilities such as screen off, charging, and most importantly to some, batt/CPU temp ...

Right now I've turned off set on boot for the main screen of setCPU.

I also set my mins to 400 after reading and agreeing with CK on the fact that if the CPU is set to 550 stock, then running 400/600 at a min is not going to tax it, but will solve wake issues (which I haven't had) and maybe ADW redraws (which I haven't had either so far. (Anyone do a real test to see 400/600 min's vice 250 for batt life?)

Advanced screen though I want ot update my numbers, forgot what CK had set in fom another thread? And if those are applied at boot?

Lastly, if my widget is loaded and passive, I know I won't see what it is actually running at (hence maybe advanced need not be set at boot) but how about the temp display? And would tempmon work with this sapphire kernal? lv 250/100 ...

Last edited:

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
FWIW:

I have the CPU controls in GEM settings disabled.

My SetCPU default profile is 600/1000.
All other profiles (sleep, charge, etc.) are 125/400.

Set on boot is checked.

I guess I have noticed a bit of a "slowdown" sometimes on the boot animation, but I'm not sure that's kernel related - the system is loading files, processes are initializing, etc. To be honest I don't really watch the boot animation intently. ;)

My actual phone performance is fast and responsive.

bodean

Reaction score
Not sure the benefit of 600/1000 for default. I always have 125 for a min.

FWIW:

Set on boot is checked.h

I guess I have noticed a bit of a "slowdown" sometimes on the boot animation, but I'm not sure that's kernel related - the system is loading files, processes are initializing, etc. To be honest I don't really watch the boot animation intently. ;)g

OP
RW-1

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've played with it, and I'm going the same way.

Since I want profiles, then internal GEM off, setCPU on set at boot.

I'm ok, and shouldn't look at the animation either :) The phone boots quite fast.

I do note now with gem off and only setCPU that my initial widget loads at 600 max, then in about a minute swithes up the max to 1k. Don't think that was that way with Gem on as well, but don't want the two conflicting.

This is what happens when one starts playing around and not just playing ... :)

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the benefit either except that when using the phone I don't want to operate below 600.

Certainly hasn't made my battery life suffer.

Not sure the benefit of 600/1000 for default. I always have 125 for a min.

FWIW:

Set on boot is checked.h

I guess I have noticed a bit of a "slowdown" sometimes on the boot animation, but I'm not sure that's kernel related - the system is loading files, processes are initializing, etc. To be honest I don't really watch the boot animation intently. ;)g

nYdGeo

Reaction score
Profiles and Priorities

Pdroid:

min: 250 max: 100 ondemand (I now turned set at bot off)

I assume that the 100 above is actually 1000? If not, you're limiting the phone to 100MHz of course. I don't think this is the case which is why I suspected a typo.

Profiles override these settings, but only within the values set here. In other words, setting a profile to run at 900MHz when the max value on the main page is 600MHz will not work. The speed will be limited to 600MHz by the main page setting until you reboot. After a reboot, if profiles are enabled and the fastest profile calls for 900MHz, the max will be set to 900MHz

Basically, if you are going to use profiles, and I highly recommend them, just set the Min on the main page at the lowest speed listed in any profile (the slowest the phone will ever run), set the Max at the highest speed listed in any profile (the fastest the phone will ever run), and just leave them. Don't bother checking the set at boot box because its moot.

Profiles:

CPU tmp: >45C 600/250 ondemand pri 100

Charging/Full: 600/250 performance pri 100
The top "Charging/Full" is the same as the two underneath it, so you don't need them. Also, this is the only time when I have my phone run its maximum (overclocked) speed.
Charging USB/Full: same as above <--Don't need
Charging AC/Full: same as above <--Don't need

Screen Off: 600/250 powersave pri 100
You have 5 items above all at 100% priority, so unfortunately, none of them is really able to do anything.
batt < 71 900/250 ondemand pri 60
batt < 61 800/250 ondemand pri 70
batt < 51 600/250 powersave pri 80
I cannot tell what your goal is above.
Advanced:

300000, 50, 0, 0 not set at boot. (If this is a US phone, I hope that's really 30000! My phone's poling rate is 20000, followed by 60, 0, 0, not set at boot)
QUOTE]

I have a different phone, but I'll use mine as an example to hopefully clarify profiles and priority. The default speeds of my phone range from 245MHz - 998MHz. However, I have the minimum speed in all of my profiles set to 128MHz and the fastest profile maxes at 1190MHz, so on the SetCPU Main screen, I have the Min set to 128MHz and the Max set to 1190MHz The 'set at boot' box is not checked.

On my profile page I have the following:

Enabled: checked
Notifications: not checked (leave me alone!)
Profiles: (CPU Scaling on all profiles is set to "ondemand")

Temp > 50c = 499 max (a very slow max speed to allow the CPU to cool
128 min as quickly as possible if it exceeds 50c)
Priority 100 (nothing more important than not burning it up!)

Screen Off = 245 max (the lowest factory speed - save lots of power)
128 min (one step below factory - saves some power)
Priority 95 (this is the state that our phones spend the most time in)

Charging/Full = 1190 max (highest 100% stable speed with no heat issues)
128 min (ramps up quickly enough to set it this low)
Priority 90 (stable, not overheating, and not worried about power!)

Battery < 20% = 499 max (lowest speed that phone is still fully functional)
128 min (ramps up...saves power...etc)
Priority 75 (This could have been 85 or 89 and would work the same.
I left room for additional profiles just in case.)

Battery < 100 = 998 max (not plugged in but fully charged, all the way
128 min down to 20% charge, runs at factory max)
Priority 70 (the meat and potatoes of bettery time.)

I hope that this helps to clarify the basic use of profiles and priorities. I do not claim that mine are perfect, optimum, or 'the way to go'. They just work great with my Evo. Some variant of these should work well for yours, but you may very well find a far better set for your phone Good luck and have fun.

Thank you for your time.

OP
RW-1

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, there were typos there. Sorry.

The batt charge profiles are to ramp down the speed as the batt discharges, the pri's are set in opposite order so that the higher level doesnt override the lower ones.