CPU and App Management - How does BB 1.0 handle it?

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by Stemage, May 5, 2010.

1. Stemage

Stemage New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using several applications to keep an eye on apps and temperatures. My battery life is averaging about 20 hours. I know guys are happy running their CPU's hot, but I've had enough experiences with overlocking on my home PC to learn that any increase in temperature for prolonged periods can decrease the life of your hardware.

That being said, I'm REALLY thinking about switching from Cyanogen to the new BB since I hear it's so fast, but I'm being told to no longer use app managers and SetCPU. That's a bit odd to hear, and without knowing what the ROM is doing to my hardware (not as concerned with the app side), I'm a bit unnerved at the idea of coming over and losing the tight control over CPU activity that I currently have.

All I really want to know is what is the methodology behind BB's CPU and App management? Can we know some basic details? I have my failsafe set to turn on at a measly 106degF because there's simply no need to run any hotter than that - ever. It would be nice to know what BB's failsafe is just so I know. Summer is almost here, and environmental temperatures are going to play a roll in our overclocking habits, whether we like it or not.

With complaints in the main thread about temperatures and battery life alongside compliments on how AMAZINGLY snappy the new ROM is, I can't help but think it could tax my phone more than I'd prefer. But I certainly don't know that without asking. :) This is the first ROM I've seen that totes CPU self-management and will actually DISABLE SetCPU because of it. That's a pretty sweet step! It would be great to learn more!

If this has all been posted somewhere else, my apologies. I didn't see it in the main thread.

2. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Plain and simple it handles it wonderfully. I was a bit skeptical last night when I went to BB v1.0 and removed SetCPU as well. I also installed the Bekit 800Mhz 7slot LV kernel. Anyway, I used the phone for 2 hours non-stop. Browsing, gaming, facebook, texting, GPS, MP3, Camera and Video, youtube, Skyfire streaming. Essentially beat the tar out of the Droid. I hit 52c for a moment but stayed at 50c the majority of the time. It idles at 21c. Now as for battery life, I can't comment just yet. After a few days of my normal usage I will be able to give an answer.

As for process/task managers/task killers PLEASE don't use them. Really I cannot stress it enough that they are a bane to Android in general. Same goes for battery savers that auto-regulate the APN. Both require and use more battery than are generally supposed to save and usually cause more problems than they are supposed to eliminate. I speak on this from alot of testing and alot of experience. Also spending a few dollars buying them and testing them.

EDIT: Now mind you I stayed at 50c for almost 1 hour. During that time I had MP3s playing over the speaker, texting, Facebook w/ pic updates, skyfire streaming AND gaming. AT THE SAME TIME. I don't think I ever used my home button that much in my life.

3. powerwagon

powerwagon Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I jumped from Cyanogen 5.0.6.2 to BB v1.0 and will probably be going back to Cyanogen later today. BB has been ok, definitely not the speed king that everyone is making it out to be. I'm a little suspect of the "in house" memory management tools, as my phone has progressively been getting slower and slower over the last day. Apparently there is a file within root explorer you can delete that gets rid of Pete's mem mgr. Just my two cents.

I would stick with what you have unless you just like to tinker around with different roms like I do :)

4. nphil

nphil Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Why would you want to disable setCPU especially now that it supports CPU temp monitoring?

As for the "keep 50MB free" option, that is accomplished by modifying the minfree file. You can use an app like autokiller/automemorymanager to the same effect. (No, you don't have to keep the app running either, it just modifies the minfree file for you)

5. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well there seems to be a common theme here. People who do what they want and install or keep SetCPU and try whatever kernel besides the Bekit ones and complain about problems. Then there are those that follow Pete's instructions to the letter and seem to have no apparent issues at all. I am seeing a pattern emerging. hmmm..... :icon_eek:

6. powerwagon

powerwagon Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I should have explained myself a little better...I deleted Pete's file and am using Auto Memory Manager along with SetCPU. I didn't like the way my phone was running with out the above mentioned apps.

7. Stemage

Stemage New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would never run my phone at 122f for more than a few minutes. The default failsafe in SetCPU is 120f for a reason. That's HOT. I rarely peek over 105f running 1000 in performance mode with Cyanogen.

I use Startup Manager to prevent start of apps on boot and Auto-Memory to hijack Android's own app management system. Those aren't running regularly. Juice Defender has done very well for me - much better than NOT using it.

8. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Out of curiousity did you do a full wipe prior to installing BB v1.0? Which kernel? Etc.. Just wondering, that's all.

9. powerwagon

powerwagon Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Why would you say don't use task/memory managers when that is exactly what Pete has running within BB V1.0? Doesn't make sense. My phone runs like **** without some type of task manager/memory manager... there is a noticeable lag within 30 mins. of getting rid of it. This is not imagined, this is real lag. In theory Android should not need this, but in reality it does.

10. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am coming to the opinion that too many people are reliant too much upon suggested max temps and performance barriers rather than looking into it themselves. The MAX operating temperature for the battery is 60c or 140f. The MAX operating temperature for the OMAP 3630 is 70c which is 158f. Now the OMAP is also capable of extreme operation for short periods up to, drum roll.... 105c which is 221f, yes hot enough to BOIL water. Am I suggesting you make coffee or tea with your Droid? NO. Is running at 50c under constant heavy use bad. NO. Believe it or not the engineers at Motorola thought all this through before the guy wrote SetCPU. :)

11. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +933
    Current Phone Model:
    Nokia Lumia Icon
    Powerwagon you having to use a task killer to get your device to run good is a sign that something is definitely wrong with your set-up.

I don't advocate the use of Task Killers neither (they cause too many problems than they solve) and my device has zero issues with lag, slowdowns or reboots.

You may want to look into what you are doing. Relying on a task manager to get your device to run good is a sign that something is not right with your set-up.

12. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    QFT. :clap:
    I couldn't have said it any better myself.

13. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    i agree with the task killer thing. i've never used one and have never experienced lag because of not using one. the only lag i've ever experienced is when i've run the stock kernel. at the 800 or 1GHz kernel, lag is nonexistent, no task killer needed. My only concern with BB V.1 is the temperature but like Darkseider said it could just be because I'm seeing what I haven't seen before and that's what's worrying me. On V 0.9, even with heavy use I wouldn't go above 105F. On this one, when it's in standby I'll be between 65-77F. But the minute I turn on the screen it'll jump to 85, then climb to 93, then hit 120, before it levels off again at around 90-95 while I'm using it. My concern is just the temperature spikes. It is healthy that it jumps 40 degrees in like 15 seconds, then drops back down? Otherwise, this rom is great.

I know its rated upto 158 degrees, but i guess its all psychological. Don't like seeing it that high, so i automatically assume that somethings wrong

14. Darkseider

Darkseider Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    See I am used to having my Droid run hot. I barley use it throughout the course of the workday. On my train ride home though I abuse the bugger and since day one have always had it running between 50c - 55c for extended periods of time without any ill effect at all. Something can be said for TI and Moto engineers.

15. droiddadi

droiddadi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You have the option to delete /system/xbin/pete file and start using setcpu and task killers if you want complete control.