Cover "water damage" area on droid

Jason

Reaction score
Let's just hope the Droid doesn't have the same problem iPhones have with their indicator. Many people have reported their indicator changing colors even though they never had it in water (confirmed by countless people). Apparently, if it's in a humid enough environment, it'll change the indicator (like a bathroom when someone takes a shower or a really humid day). When these people have problems with their phone, Apple won't replace it because they claim it was in the water (which voids the warranty).

Theirs turns red (when I saw the one on the Droid I got worried!) and some people have tried bleaching theirs back white with mixed results.

I thought the insurance covered water damage, anyway?
I'm sure it does too. My dad dropped his phone in the toilet and they gave him a new one

RadiantX

Reaction score
I thought I remembered a Verizon rep telling me that you can add insurance at any time, you just can't make a claim within the first 30 days of adding it. For obvious reasons...

I have had the insurance on all my "smartphones" I went through at least 6 Treos in a 2 year period, **** happens. My "total coverage" insurance doesn't have a deductable, I've never had to pay one.

Droids

Reaction score
..........the funny thing is, the phone will not always cost 595(i think is the official price now), so down the road, in a year or two if the phone were to break it won't cost as much as people keep quoting, it may be closer to like $100-200
Very true. Of course you may drop it tomorrow and shatter the glass, in which case it's >$500 to replace it. I think it's a good idea to carry the insurance for the first year, then consider dropping the coverage if replacement phones can be picked up fairly cheap.

BCrawford

Reaction score
I got the best buy black tie with the Droid. $10 a month, no deductible, covers accidental and water damage. Well worth it IMO.

civEX

Reaction score
Did you get the $6 insurance or the 7.99 one? I figure I don't need the extended warrenty since I plan on exchanging for a new phone. Any thoughts?

Lafond

Reaction score
I had the water damage sticker activate on my RAZR after owning it for a year or so. Honestly don't know when it happened, but I know I never got it wet. I have seen people selling new stickers pop up over eBay for those, but the design and complexity of the location has changed since the RAZR days.

Plus I could never drop it in water, replace the sticker, and go in claiming something was wrong. If I did it, my fault, my dime. Just saying I've seen them floating around the web.

thelion

Reaction score
I am always very careful with my devices. That said, I was in a minor accident two days ago and....the Droid is a bit on the broken side. The screen is cracked severely and I will be using my insurance to get a new one (the phone's insurance as my car insurance will not cover it).

Crap happens. I have never broken a phone before but boy am I grateful that I had the insurance or I would be out nearly $600 to replace this phone. I paid the $89 deductible and will have paid 1 month of premiums. Not bad, a new Droid for under $100.

schoond

Reaction score
I am always very careful with my devices. That said, I was in a minor accident two days ago and....the Droid is a bit on the broken side. The screen is cracked severely and I will be using my insurance to get a new one (the phone's insurance as my car insurance will not cover it).

Crap happens. I have never broken a phone before but boy am I grateful that I had the insurance or I would be out nearly $600 to replace this phone. I paid the $89 deductible and will have paid 1 month of premiums. Not bad, a new Droid for under $100.
I dropped my Motorola Droid phone in the toilet. (sigh). I have the full warranty coverage and started the process to request a replacement for the $89 deductible. I've had the phone for just under 6 weeks. The insurance company (Asurion) says the Motorola Droid is no longer available as a replacement and my choices for a replacement are the Eris or the Devour. I put the replacement order on hold to research which phone to choose. Both say they are low value options to the Motorola Droid. So,,, they want me to pay $89 for a phone that I did not want nor did I buy in the first place. Not. I'm heading to my local Verizon store to chat with the manager and offer him $89 for a replacement Motorola Droid phone. These are clearly still available. They are the featured "Buy one, get one free" model on Verizon's home page. Not sure what is up with the insurance company insuring Motorola Droids when they cannot replace them. That's a battle for another day. :angry:.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I had debated about insurance, but most things I have I never let get broken......people keep saying this type of thing about the insurance..........the funny thing is, the phone will not always cost 595(i think is the official price now), so down the road, in a year or two if the phone were to break it won't cost as much as people keep quoting, it may be closer to like $100-200

in 2 years the phone will most likely be in the upper 400 dollar range.

take this for thought.... the original blackberry curve that came out 4 years ago still costs 379 to replace it...

dont take this the wrong way but if your sweating over 6 dollars a month then maybe you shouldn't own a smartphone.

dolpns13

Reaction score
If you open your battery door there is a little circle to the left of your SD card. There are a couple red X's on white paper. this is how verizon tells if you dropped your cell in water. the X's change from red to a different color. i wanted to know id anyone thoguth it would be a good idea to cover the hole with tape. the tape would block water from toughing the paper with X's.

what do you guys think?

You could give it a try, but if you are doing it just to TEST to see if the tape is water resistant, I would advise you dont.

btw-the white paper with the red x's on it turns completely red when it gets wet. I dropped my old 4400 in a puddle and thats what happened to the paper.

Ice_Cold

Reaction score
I have Ins. And a cracked screen and Asurion wants to send out a eris instead of a Moto Droid claming there isnt any stock anywhere and Moto stoped making the phone. Seriously thats like going from driving a mustang to driving a pinto

swallman

Reaction score

I dropped my Motorola Droid phone in the toilet. (sigh). I have the full warranty coverage and started the process to request a replacement for the $89 deductible. I've had the phone for just under 6 weeks. The insurance company (Asurion) says the Motorola Droid is no longer available as a replacement and my choices for a replacement are the Eris or the Devour. I put the replacement order on hold to research which phone to choose. Both say they are low value options to the Motorola Droid. So,,, they want me to pay $89 for a phone that I did not want nor did I buy in the first place. Not. I'm heading to my local Verizon store to chat with the manager and offer him $89 for a replacement Motorola Droid phone. These are clearly still available. They are the featured "Buy one, get one free" model on Verizon's home page. Not sure what is up with the insurance company insuring Motorola Droids when they cannot replace them. That's a battle for another day. :angry:.

That is total BS! Neither of those phones is anywhere near as good as the Droid. Don't know how they can get by selling insurance like that for a phone they can't even replace.

dolpns13

Reaction score
I have Ins. And a cracked screen and Asurion wants to send out a eris instead of a Moto Droid claming there isnt any stock anywhere and Moto stoped making the phone. Seriously thats like going from driving a mustang to driving a pinto

dont they have a contractual obligation to send you a Droid. You should request they purchase a new one from Verizon if Asurion cannot supply you with one.

dolpns13

Reaction score

Please keep us posted.