Cover "water damage" area on droid

olletsocmit

Reaction score
If you open your battery door there is a little circle to the left of your SD card. There are a couple red X's on white paper. this is how verizon tells if you dropped your cell in water. the X's change from red to a different color. i wanted to know id anyone thoguth it would be a good idea to cover the hole with tape. the tape would block water from toughing the paper with X's.

what do you guys think?

zegolf

Reaction score
If you open your battery door there is a little circle to the left of your SD card. There are a couple red X's on white paper. this is how verizon tells if you dropped your cell in water. the X's change from red to a different color. i wanted to know id anyone thoguth it would be a good idea to cover the hole with tape. the tape would block water from toughing the paper with X's.

what do you guys think?

Is tape really going to give it an air-tight, waterproof seal? What about the backside of the sticker? Something tells me that Verizon would have probably planned for people who might try to circumvent the water-damage notification.

GadgetRick

Reaction score
Let's just hope the Droid doesn't have the same problem iPhones have with their indicator. Many people have reported their indicator changing colors even though they never had it in water (confirmed by countless people). Apparently, if it's in a humid enough environment, it'll change the indicator (like a bathroom when someone takes a shower or a really humid day). When these people have problems with their phone, Apple won't replace it because they claim it was in the water (which voids the warranty).

Theirs turns red (when I saw the one on the Droid I got worried!) and some people have tried bleaching theirs back white with mixed results.

zegolf

Reaction score
Let's just hope the Droid doesn't have the same problem iPhones have with their indicator. Many people have reported their indicator changing colors even though they never had it in water (confirmed by countless people). Apparently, if it's in a humid enough environment, it'll change the indicator (like a bathroom when someone takes a shower or a really humid day). When these people have problems with their phone, Apple won't replace it because they claim it was in the water (which voids the warranty).

Theirs turns red (when I saw the one on the Droid I got worried!) and some people have tried bleaching theirs back white with mixed results.

We're also talking about the same company that won't honor a service contract because a persons Mac is located in a home with a smoker.

I thought the insurance covered water damage, anyway?

GadgetRick

Reaction score

We're also talking about the same company that won't honor a service contract because a persons Mac is located in a home with a smoker.

I thought the insurance covered water damage, anyway?
Don't know about insurance. I won't ever buy insurance on a phone again. It's a ripoff. I asked about it with the Droid. It was expensive (monthly) and a high deductible.

zegolf

Reaction score
$6 a month with a $89 deductible?

That's less than $250 over the course of 2 years which beats the hell out of paying $500 for a brand new phone 2 months into a contract if, for example, you toss it into a urinal (as I've done in the past).

comic0guy

Reaction score

That's less than $250 over the course of 2 years which beats the hell out of paying $500 for a brand new phone 2 months into a contract if, for example, you toss it into a urinal (as I've done in the past).

I had debated about insurance, but most things I have I never let get broken......people keep saying this type of thing about the insurance..........the funny thing is, the phone will not always cost 595(i think is the official price now), so down the road, in a year or two if the phone were to break it won't cost as much as people keep quoting, it may be closer to like $100-200

zegolf

Reaction score

I had debated about insurance, but most things I have I never let get broken......people keep saying this type of thing about the insurance..........the funny thing is, the phone will not always cost 595(i think is the official price now), so down the road, in a year or two if the phone were to break it won't cost as much as people keep quoting, it may be closer to like $100-200

I, too, debated this until I tossed my phone in a urinal. Nothing convinces you to buy insurance more than having to talk into a pee-soaked phone.

comic0guy

Reaction score

I, too, debated this until I tossed my phone in a urinal. Nothing convinces you to buy insurance more than having to talk into a pee-soaked phone.

Yea sounds about right in that situation......though personally can't ever imagine needing to use my phone when in front of the urinal or even in the bathroom at all

boatman2220

Reaction score
Don't forget being stolen, any other unforeseeable misadventure. Yes, I try my best to take care of my stuff but things happen.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't forget being stolen, any other unforeseeable misadventure. Yes, I try my best to take care of my stuff but things happen.

I couldn't agree more. I have seen too many things happen not to carry the insurance. If I drop my phone tonight. I'll have a new one on Tuesday. No wait no worries. No my insurance wll FedEx it. Otherwise I would have one tonight for $600. Sorry I don't think I want to have to spend $600 becuase i dropped my phone

angelman

Reaction score
I didnt get insurance initially but am now wondering about getting it after all. Can I buy it later on or can it only be purchased at time of sale. What are my options in getting insurance after purchase (it's been > 30 days now too)

I couldn't agree more. I have seen too many things happen not to carry the insurance. If I drop my phone tonight. I'll have a new one on Tuesday. No wait no worries. No my insurance wll FedEx it. Otherwise I would have one tonight for $600. Sorry I don't think I want to have to spend $600 becuase i dropped my phone

NvrEnough

Reaction score
I believe you can add the insurance on still. Give your local rep a call.

I bought mine and then went in to a store a week later and added it on with out a hitch.

zeira

Reaction score
You can only buy it up to 30 days after you got the phone, but I guess it doesn't hurt to try. I added mine after 20 days or so, they opened it to see if it had water damage and that was it.