couple of questions regarding icons

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by drek, Jun 2, 2010.

1. drek

drek Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So here's my conundrum. I like the Home++ bottom bar, it's nice and effective. However I like the ability to use change the icons and Pandahome seems to be the best/easiest for that (although when I change an icon it doesn't work?). Is there anyway to use Home++ with custom icons? Please keep in mind I am a noob, lol. I've had this phone for 72hrs and got it rooted and loaded with BB 1.1 yesterday.

2. Skaggz

Skaggz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You can extract the Home++ apk from your phone using adb or Root Explorer. On your computer open it up (its just a zip archive). In the Res folder, you'll see some drawable folders. In one of those (most likely Drawable-hdpi), you'll see the icons you want to replace.

When you're finished, zip it back up and change the extention to .apk

Push it to /system/app on your phone
    Set permissions to rw-r--r-- (chmod 644)
    Reboot
    Enjoy

3. fizeke136

fizeke136 Member

Ratings:
    +0

I had a question. I used this method you suggested and I was able to change the icon in the launcher. However, when I go to the Market or "settings->applications->manage applications" the app is no longer listed there. It still works when i press on it in the launcher but I was just wondering if it "disappears" from the Market or App menu because of something I did wrong or is this supposed to happen? I'd appreciate any help you could offer. Thanks.

4. Skaggz

Skaggz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Its not in there because it is now a system app. You need to select Filters--All.

It also doesn't appear on the market for the same reason. If you find it on the market and click Install, it will give you the popup that it asks if you want to update the app. If you do update, it will most likely overwrite the changes you made. Somewhat of a sacrifice for being able to customize things you shouldn't.

Hope this helps.

5. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +3
    awww drek!! i guess noone realized you've only had you phone 72 hours!! you can change your icons by getting "Bettercut" or "folderorganizer" from the market.

Actually if i recall right, with pandahome, you can just "long press" on your icons and you get an option to change the icon. Good luck and if you need any real time help feel free to add me to google talk. :D

6. fizeke136

fizeke136 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It does help a lot. Thanks!

7. drek

drek Member

Ratings:
    +0
  8. Skaggz

Skaggz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just to be clear.

1) Are you wanting to change the white icons at the bottom of the screen?
    or..
    2) Are you wanting to change the icons for apps you have on the desktop?

If #1, follow my directions above, I thought thats what your question was about.

If #2, Long press on the homescreen, select shortcuts, select BetterCut, select activity. Select the app you want to change, change the icon and/or the display underneath.

edit: I see you're not using an icon pack from the market. You'll need to place your icons on your SD card and be sure you are able to view them in the gallery. Then when you select 'Change Icon' in BetterCut, select the 'Pick Picture' option. You should be able to find it from there.

9. drek

drek Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm working on scenario number 2. Do they have to be .png or .ico? All I see if I select .png is black boxes. If I select .ico I see nothing....

10. drek

drek Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Still not working, when I select a .png file for the icon it doesn't set it nor does it allow me to leave the gallery view. I know this should be simple but for the life of me it is not working.

Do I need to be long clicking the image file or should I just have to tap it?

11. drek

drek Member

Ratings:
    +0
    bump. Please, anyone?

12. drek

drek Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Bumping again... someone has to know the answer.

I can see the icons I want to use in the gallery but I can't get Bettercut to use them. When I select one of the pictures it does nothing, it also won't let me leave the gallery view.

13. drek

drek Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Daily bump. Still need hhelp using custom icons with Bettercut, I select the picture from the gallery but it doesn't do anything and won't let me leave the gallery. Someone, help, please.

14. drek

drek Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Daily bump. I can do this until the mods lock it, hell freezes over, someone helps, or it works via FM. Please... I know someone knows what I'm doing wrong...

15. CorCor67

CorCor67 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +2
    You should just have to tap it, have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling bettercut? What are you using for icons, can you attach one so I can try on my phone? .png is what I always use, never tried a .ico

EDIT: Disregard the question about attaching...I found the link :)
    EDIT#2: Ok, can't find a link to dl the individual icons...got one to attach?

Search tags for this page

lg l55c icons

make lg smartphone icons bigger
quiz regarding symbols showing sweets