Couple of questions from a newbie with droid 2

newbie2droid2

Reaction score
Hi!

I got my droid 2 yesterday, have been playing with it for a while, will try to root it today. Some questions that I have been thinking as I get ready to take the plunge, hopefully someone can help me:

1. What app are you using to track the data used (in PP), so as to make sure one is not going over? Some have mentioned about 3G watchdog/Traffic Info/Traffic stat..not sure which one is the preferred one.

2. How do you remove the bloatware from droid 2? What apps do you remove to clean up the system?

3. Is there a way to transfer contacts from iPhone or Mac's address book to my droid2?

4. Is it true that if I update the software on Droid, then it is possible that the root will not work? If yes, will the software update be automatically pushed or I will be asked if I want to install it? Is there a way to block auto software update? The current software on my droid is 2.2.

5. What ROM are using on droid 2? Any step by step instructions for a newbie?
(I have been spending too much time reading, so getting confused).

6. Is it possible to use iTunes to load music on the phone (SD card)? If yes, how? If not, how can I transfer music as my collection is on iTunes in mac.

7. I connected my phone to PC in USB mode. Didn't install the Motorola drivers. In my computer, I only see the contents of the SD card (e.g., browser, android, download, mms, etc.), but not of phone's internal memory. Is it because I did not install the drivers or something else?

8. Is it ok to use Windows 7 based PC to download the root (Z4root) and other files to transfer to SD card on phone?

9. If I remove some apps, and then install a different ROM, what happens? Will I need to re-delete those apps?

10. The signal bar on my droid2 is only showing 2-3 bars. I thought Verizon will be better than ATT. I am running the original ROM. Is this normal with droid2 or I need to make some changes?

Sorry for so many questions, but I am a newbie to android, so worried about messing my new toy.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

ssjvegeta003

Reaction score
Before you do anything to your phone, if you are ever at any point in the future planning on rooting/ROMing, I suggest you get bootstrap and titanium. While you can get sbf to get a "clean" factory phone, what you have right now is a "clean factory" phone. Bootstrap will allow you to create a backup of your phone as is, which is in a good state right now. Titanium will allow you to back up apps + saved data.

Removing apps is never really a good idea, seeing as you can't recieve updates if you should want them and deleting can cause problems, even with bloat wear. I suggest you freeze them, which will remove them from your app drawer, if you are looking for a cleaner interface.

AFAIK, your phone will push through an update, which will you will then need to get a update on the typical one button rooting programs, but code line rooting should still work no matter the update.

In order to browse your phone as if it were a USB device, you need to set the connection to "USB Mass Storage". You can then browse through all your phones folders.

Anytime you go from ROM to ROM, you will factory reset through your bootstrap, so apps missing won't be a problem. In fact most ROMs will remove the bloat wear, and it isn't a problem transitioning from ROM to ROM.

Signal bar is dependent on your location, and generally in more secluded areas, you will get better reception on Verizon then AT&T, but in a major city, there is no difference. Certain ROMs, like Gingerbread, as opposed to Froyo, which most ROMs are based on, can improve connectivity in 3G (as lest according to google's GB vs Froyo differences).

ROMs are really easy to flash back and forth, but I am currently running Liberty 2.0.1 with a theme, and have enjoyed this particular ROM the best, but the Liberty team will release a stable GB ROM soon, and I plan on switching to that (it's already out for the X)

OP
N

newbie2droid2

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Droid Firefighter: I already rooted my toy..just couldn't wait.

ssjvegeta003: After rooting, I used bootstrap and have created backup.
What is sbf? sorry, I am a newbie, so still learning the lingo.

I will try to flash with a new rom later. For now, first of all need to get my contacts transferred.

Reaction score
1. I have unlimited data, so I don't track my usage. Droidwall is an app I hear about sometimes, though.

2. You need to be rooted, and you either need to know linux commands, or you need to acquire titanium backup pro, which lets you freeze bloatware. that's my recommendation. If you remove the software completely, you remove all chance of receiving an OTA update in the future (including the one to Gingerbread, if it ever happens). Titanium freezes it so it doesn't run, but you can reinstate stuff if you ever need it.

3. Whatever program you use for contacts should give you the option to export your contacts as a CSV (Comma Separated Values) file. Then you go to contacts.google.com and import that CSV file, and all your contacts will be pushed to your phone. Once a contact is placed into your google contacts, they're in your phone, and available online whenever. When you buy a new android phone and sign in, all of your contacts will be pushed to it. Google does the best job of backing up contacts, IMHO.

4. Yes, sometimes new OTA updates break root. You get asked if you want to download and install it, you can ignore it. Also, generally, updates are released on these forums so that you can do the updates manually if you prefer.

5. I use Fission on my D2G. You have many, many more options for your D2, though. Liberty gets good reviews. As for install instructions, each ROM has its own thread with directions.

6. Supposedly apps like doubletwist work for this, but I just put my phone in USB mass storage mode and drag and drop my MP3s onto the SD card. It's the quickest, easiest, most reliable way.

7. The reason you can't see the phone's internal memory is because you're not supposed to be able to. Once you're rooted, you can access that memory with ADB shell on the computer, or with a root file explorer (like.... root explorer, or estrongs file explorer) on the phone.

8. Sure. Just know that if you ever have to SBF your phone, windows 7 machines have been known to not like RSD Lite and its drivers, for whatever reason.

9. Depends on what the apps are. Most ROMs come with the bare minimum of apps, so that shouldn't be an issue.

10. It's a known issue with the Droid line that the signal bars have almost no relation to actual signal strength. If you get good service and don't drop calls, it doesn't matter what the bars read.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
1. I have unlimited data, so I don't track my usage. Droidwall is an app I hear about sometimes, though.
2. You need to be rooted, and you either need to know linux commands, or you need to acquire titanium backup pro, which lets you freeze bloatware. that's my recommendation. If you remove the software completely, you remove all chance of receiving an OTA update in the future (including the one to Gingerbread, if it ever happens). Titanium freezes it so it doesn't run, but you can reinstate stuff if you ever need it.
However you can SBF back to stock and get the update I believe.

8. Sure. Just know that if you ever have to SBF your phone, windows 7 machines have been known to not like RSD Lite and its drivers, for whatever reason.
Never had an issue here. I just make sure the SBF is in C:\moto and it does just fine. I do know RSD lite is picky about spaces in the file and path names but I think thats OS irrelevant.

Reaction score
However you can SBF back to stock and get the update I believe.

Never had an issue here. I just make sure the SBF is in C:\moto and it does just fine. I do know RSD lite is picky about spaces in the file and path names but I think thats OS irrelevant.

It's not. Trust me. I've been on these forums for awhile, and I read pretty much every post in the D1/D2/D2G forums on multiple sites.... Windows 7 and Windows Vista are both way pickier about RSD Lite and its drivers than WinXP.