Couple of questions before I root

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Matth3w, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I wasn't going to root because I really didn't see a benefit (not that there aren't for some people, just for me there didn't seem to be).

Well now that I found out about SetCPU and how you can set it to 125mhz when sleeping, I might do it just to extend battery life. My questions are:

1. Does anyone notice drop in performance with SetCPU when it comes out of sleep/125mhz, sort of like a computer coming out of standby while everything spins up?

2. When the official 2.1 comes out, what happens? You lose root, or it won't update, or you have to re-root or what?

3. How much battery life have you noticed that you save with it dropping to 125mhz on sleep?

4. Any specific apps that won't work on 2.1 that work on 2.01?

5. How stable is 2.1? I don't want to root just to get SetCPU and then FC everything.

I think that's it for now...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2010
  2. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    A little morning bump....

3. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6
    1. Does anyone notice drop in performance with SetCPU when it comes out of sleep/125mhz, sort of like a computer coming out of standby while everything spins up? I Have not Done this...

2. When the official 2.1 comes out, what happens? You lose root, or it won't update, or you have to re-root or what? Most likely you will lose root. It will not update if you blocked the otacert file.

3. How much battery life have you noticed that you save with it dropping to 125mhz on sleep? N/A

4. Any specific apps that won't work on 2.1 that work on 2.01? I had no issues running any apps on a 2.1 ROM vs. a stock 2.0.1

5. How stable is 2.1? I don't want to root just to get SetCPU and then FC everything. Some are better than others, best to do some research and read comments from other users.

4. Finnstang

Finnstang Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just because you root, doesn't mean you have to go to 2.1 either...you can stay on 2.0.1 rooted with setcpu.

5. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2010
  6. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6
    How to Block

su
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    cd /system/etc/security
    mv otacerts.zip otacerts.zip.bak
    mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

How to unblock

su
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    cd /system/etc/security
    mv
    otacerts.zip.bak otacerts.zip
    mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

7. Topsy

Topsy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Do your research, get comfortable with the process of rooting and unrooting (back to stock) and you can easily try all these things and form your own opinions.

Battery life from my experience is vastly improved by underclocking while the phone is sleeping, but results will vary on daily usage out of sleep mode to be honest so i can't give you hard figures.

8. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The problem is, the tried and true sticky, none of the files are there anymore and the post hasn't been updated.

I downloaded the updater from 4shared or whatever, renamed it to update.zip, and did the reboot in recovery mode or whatever but it won't install. It says something about not being able to install update.zip.

I held down the X and power while booting, hit the up volume and camera, got into the menu...but it also says something about a command error. If it's obvious what I am talking about cool, if not I can redo it and retype exactly what it says.

But what I really need is a stable ROM and files where the links actually work.

9. Topsy

Topsy Member

Ratings:
    +0
  10. d1pham

d1pham New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  11. thebowers

thebowers Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Make sure your are not naming the file update.zip.zip . To make sure go to folder options and turn off hide extensions.

12. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    This is much better than the sticky thread here. Thanks! I've got SetCPU up and running. Not sure how to get it to go to 600mHz though. There is definitely a slight delay when hitting the power button to bring it out of sleep though at 125mhz

13. myriad46

myriad46 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Were people having a problem with the battery draining while in sleep mode? I guess, if you have a lot of things that check in the background, they would be checking at a slow speed, potentially extending battery life, but, in standby with the screen off, it lasts a hell of a long time, anyway. Anyone care to share was "drastically improved" means in a sense of hours and days? Also, isn't 2.1 much better on the battery anyway?

14. Enter

Enter Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It only goes to 550 on a rooted phone, you need a rom to go past that. 550 works great for me, anything more is just asking for trouble even though people say it is "stable". The reason I say that is because the phone will get pretty hot just surfing the web on 550, now imagine it at 900 or even 1 g. It could do a lot of harm in the long run especially if you use it often. Don't bother with 2.1 as you will have to undo everything you did to receive the OTA 2.1.

15. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not bothering, I just want to see if this SetCPU will extend my battery a bit. And potentially get a screencap program, although I can't find that program that everyone uses when rooted on the market.