Couple of questions before I buy

krpiper

Reaction score
Hello. I was thinking about buying the Thunderbolt but I think I will get this phone instead. I am upgrading from a Droid 1.

1. How is the battery life? Is it acceptable to get through a full day? Or should I buy a extended battery? Like this one Set Your Location

2. How is motoblur? I am a big Launcher Pro user, can I install LP "over" blur?

3. My Droid 1 gets really hot when I use it a lot, like with the screen on for a long time, or playing angry birds, but especially when I'm on a phone call. Does the D2 fix this problem.

4. Any difference between the D2 and the Global? The local Verizon store has Global's, wasnt sure if it was worth finding a non global.

5. Your thoughts, Pros/Cons

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
welcome to the forum

Hello. I was thinking about buying the Thunderbolt but I think I will get this phone instead. I am upgrading from a Droid 1.

1. How is the battery life? Is it acceptable to get through a full day? Or should I buy a extended battery? "battery life is how much usage u put into it. rooting helps. making sure u check ur personal settings. u can get ext battery to last even lo.her. again depends on ur usage" Like this one Set Your Location

2. How is motoblur? I am a big Launcher Pro user, can I install LP "over" blur? "I believe it does work"

3. My Droid 1 gets really hot when I use it a lot, like with the screen on for a long time, or playing angry birds, but especially when I'm on a phone call. Does the D2 fix this problem. "be sure to end apps u were currently running . some games do eat up ur battery and yes will eventually get hot"

4. Any difference between the D2 and the Global? The local Verizon store has Global's, wasnt sure if it was worth finding a non global. "except for the fact that its main use is more towards business phone that has global so u can take it anywhere assessable and processor is little faster"

5. Your thoughts, Pros/Cons

Swype with an Aloha from Hawaii

MegaThrasher

Reaction score
1. If your a heavy user you'll probably want the ex. battery.

2. LP can be installed over, but Motoblur lags bad so you'll probably want Fission.

3. Mines only gotten to 109.4 and that's because I was tethering in my pocket. 3g gets it hot but not usually that hot.

4. D2 has more support from the Dev. community and battery might last longer idk.

I would wait for the TB as it should probably have a huge following if it ever comes out.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global running Fission 2.4.3

OP
K

krpiper

Reaction score
Could I have you install Launcher pro (its free) and see if it works.

Also how hot does the phone? Mine hits somewhere around 35 degrees

MegaThrasher

Reaction score
Launcher pro was what I used before Fission so it works. 109.4 F is around 43 C. Cell radio makes it hot but not usually that hot again I was tethering in my pocket.

OP
K

krpiper

Reaction score
Yeah mine has never gotten that hot, like 41 after tethering. Its usually on a phone call around 37 C.

MegaThrasher

Reaction score
I haven't noticed any heat after phone calls. But I don't make phone calls too often.

Slipshod

Reaction score
Mine used to get really hot before I put Fission on it. Battery life is still kinda poor even with extended bat, Fission, and polling turned down as low as I can go. I'm a heavy user, and have to recharge once in order to last until midnight.

Music playback also clicks/pops for many folks until you root and turn on stagefright. which breaks camcorder playback.

OP
K

krpiper

Reaction score
Is the extended battery noticeable? Also does it add extra thickness?

Also can someone explain fission

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

kickyindahead

Reaction score
Fission is a different rom from team defuse .. i run fission 2.4.3 on my D2G with LPP and it is super zippy .. no over clock/under clock here .. and it seldom gets warm .. extended battery hardly noticeable .. kinda gives an extra grip to the back .. i like it .

OP
K

krpiper

Reaction score
Does this fission work with the droid 2 global? As that is what the Verizon store has

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Asphyx

Reaction score
My advice is if you do not need to leave the country and will never use the GSM to just go for the CDMA D2 instead.

The D2G is a great phone but if you don't need GSM no point in getting it.

kickyindahead

Reaction score
i totally agree... although i really had no choice of getting the d2g because it was the only droid that the store i went to had in sock with a slider keyboard. I dont care for the virtual keyboards that much myself. The phone i really wanted was the r2d2.. but if i would have waited another week or so i could have gone to the main verizon store they just put in and got it . but i was in a hurry to switch providers and change my phone number .. long story.
And as Asphyx said. if you dont need to leave the country... you dont need the global.. but you can always switch it to cdma .. but in my perspective .. ya never know if youre going to need to leave hte country ..