Couple of questions about LiIon batteries

altspeed

Reaction score
Dallas, Lone Star Republic, North America, Terra
I need a little help with battery theory and an idea. I know a LOT about NiCads from years of serious play with RC stuff but I know that pretty much is inapplicable to LiIons, but...two things...1) it being established that LiIons don't develop cell memory and don't need conditioning don't you still optimize battery life by giving it complete cycles whenever possible? and, if so, what would be a good device for draining an external battery with a male micro usb out (motorola P893 universal portable power station)?

unbesorgt

Reaction score
From what I've read, the only reason to cycle a Li-Ion battery is to calibrate the phone's reading of the sensor. In other words it doesn't improve the battery itself, but rather the phone's ability to take an accurate reading. Deep cycling can actually shorten the lifespan of Li-Ion batteries, but it's a trade-off for improved accuracy. The consensus seems to be that you want to cycle it a couple of times when you first start using it, then once per month thereafter. The rest of the time you want to keep it between 40% and 80% as much as possible.