Couple of issues/bugs I have found.

Uber_Tiny

Reaction score
Since launch it has been non-stop use on my lovely Droid 2. I have really been putting it through a lot of testing. I have at this point only come up with a couple bugs that in my experience are the most annoying.

One:
Touch screen issues with charger plugged in and battery at full
This is annoying, but not the most annoying issue. I like to make sure I don't drain the battery while making my phone do tricks, but what I have found is when the battery reaches it's full capacity and the power connector is still connected, the touch screen goes haywire. By this I mean when you touch the screen and try to do things like scrolling it will jump back and forth and act as if you are tapping the screen all at the same time which randomly selects stuff. This happens in all parts of the phone. From viewing the internet or scrolling through applications or settings, it doesn't matter. However, as soo as the power cord is disconnected it stops this behavior.
Two:
Wireless issues
Yeah we are back on that wireless issue. This one is a bit different than the normal one and I might say that it happens to be the one that most annoys me. I use my wifi pretty much constantly with my phone. I put my phone down for a little bit which makes it go to sleep. Even with the wireless set to never turn off it continues to do so or at least forgets how to connect. When I try to do something like look up an application in the Android Market or do a fast search on the web it will not do so because it comes up with no connection to a network. It does not even revert back to using 3G, it does not allow you to pass go and will not give you the two hundred dollars, har har har. It stubbornly sits there like a redheaded stepchild shaking it's head firmly saying NO, even though it shows that it is connected in the phone and in the router. I can even run a wireless network scan with the application WiFi Analysis and it shows all the available networks and the strengths and they fluctuate which means the wireless is working. I have looked at everything I can to get this to stop. From setting up a static IP in the phone to making sure it isn't a setting in the router, but to no avail has it made one bit of difference. I even went in to the battery settings and changed it over to be a battery killer and keep everything running even if the phone goes to sleep. Still the same issue. Plugging the phone in and setting it to never turn off the screen while plugged in still doesn't fix it. It seemingly stops communicating correctly to the router after not touching it for a bit. The only way to get it back is to turn the wireless off and then back on. A step I should not have to do. Also, using any of the Wi-Fi sleep policy's does nothing, even the one to never shut off when plugged in.

Now you might say it's a setting in your router which is what I thought at first too. I figured it was a communication issue when the phone cuts off the wireless and the router doesn't know how to properly sync back up. However, this issue happens on 4 different routers that I have been able to test on. All of different brands and one in particular is a high dollar business Cysco wireless access point (Aironet 1250 series).

The first one is definitely a bug in the software. The second one is a toss up of being a bug or a software setting somewhere I have yet to find. Even if it was a software setting somewhere, you would think it would be well documented at this point on how to fix the issue.

My wireless settings:

• Router: Dlink DIR-655 Wireless N
  • Connection: current -WPA/WPA2 PSK (used every other type of wireless connection that I could come up with and if anyone has a suggestion I am all ears)
Make note that both of these issues have been going on since the phone came out of the box. So any rooting that could have been done or applications installed since then shouldn't be of concern.

Last edited:

pool_shark

Reaction score
I use mine while plugged in a lot (even after it reaches 100%), I have never had an issue with my screen going crazy.

I don't use my wifi much, but when I do, it works perfect, never disconnects until I turn it off.
I have a linksys wrtg5 at my house and a dlink 524 at my girlfriend's.

OP
Uber_Tiny

Uber_Tiny

Reaction score
I use mine while plugged in a lot (even after it reaches 100%), I have never had an issue with my screen going crazy.

I don't use my wifi much, but when I do, it works perfect, never disconnects until I turn it off.
I have a linksys wrtg5 at my house and a dlink 524 at my girlfriend's.

The wireless works great while it's being used. It's if you put down the phone and come back after a while the wireless will not work until I turn it off then on again. However, it still sees available wireless connections. I'm beginning to think it has something to do with security settings in the router.

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
Have not seen either issue...I don't think these are "everybody" bugs...

Are you using the D2 charger, or third party?

The wifi issue you report may be related to particular router-router settings/D2 combinations.

I can put my phone down and come back to it later and wifi is still connected/still working. I've also found that my D2 goes between wifi and 3g seamlessly, something my D1 did not do so well...when I leave in the AM to walk my dog I leave range from my wifi signal and it switches over to 3G w/out issue...my D1 would get "stuck" and not handle that well sometimes.

I just replaced a router that would connect and stay connected to my D1 or D2, but all data transfer would fail after five-ten minutes. New router, same security settings, problem is gone.

I believe there is some finickyness w/the Droid and certain routers. But I haven't seen a general inability to maintain a connection when coming out of sleep.

metroplex

Reaction score
You can tell the WiFi to go to sleep when the screen turns off, but it didn't work for me. I also found that turning WiFi back on (when manually shut off) is sketchy.

I ran into an error message with the charger ON while checking the battery usage stats. Once I yanked the cord, everything was fine again.