Couple FYI's for Razr

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
1) If you use corporate email, and the server requires you to have the phone's contents encrypted, you need to make sure that you first add a security pin to the phone's security settings! If you don't, and it does not prompt you to, it will set up the email account, tell you it has to encrypt(gives you no choice to opt out), and it will unmount and "check the SD card for errors". This will go on for hours... like 9 hours in my case, and cannot be aborted, stopped, etc... You can reboot the phone, doesn't stop it. Pull out the card and put it back in, doesn't stop it. Makes it so that the SD card is not mounted, not able to be formatted or used at all, like it isn't there. Only way out is to delete the email account,, turn off decryption, pull the card, reinstall it and then format it. So if you need this kind of email, SET THE PIN FIRST. It doesn't tell you too, you have to stumble on it and spend a day figuring out what is going on yourself apparently.

2) When you do this, your exchange server is set up as an Admin of the phone, and you cannot change any settings for that Admin, it is completely controlled by your exchange server admin, including the ability to lock your phone or wipe it from remote. You lose that control over your device, they can do what they want with it.

3) Your SD card will only work in your phone. If you take it out and put it into a card reader, it will not work.

4) Because of the encryption, you can no longer shoot video at 1080p, the phone limits you to 720p and there is nothing that you can do about it, unless you delete that email account and decrypt your storage and take back control of your phone.

5) Once your phone is encrypted, none of the root methods that I have tried seem to work. I have not tried rooting and then adding the email account yet, may try that later...

dkelly701

Reaction score
I wonder if you would have to do all of that if you use Touchdown instead of the stock Android email. I have used Touchdown and have found it well worth the money. You can download it and use for 30 days for free. Below is from the description on the Android Market

Corporate Data Separation: TouchDown keeps your corporate data separate from your personal data. Without TouchDown, your employer can actually flatten your phone to factory defaults. With TouchDown, they can only remove corporate data belonging to them, leaving behind your personal information.

https://market.android.com/details?...sImNvbS5uaXRyb2Rlc2suZHJvaWQyMC5uaXRyb2lkIl0.

vonfink13

Reaction score
you dont have to do any of that stuff with touchdown...you just need to know some certain info and passwords and you are in..i set mine up in less than 5 mins yesterday....

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
you dont have to do any of that stuff with touchdown...you just need to know some certain info and passwords and you are in..i set mine up in less than 5 mins yesterday....

Touchdown works, I will be buying this app, thanks!

One question, is that I cannot figure out how to get it to pull all of my email, it only shows the past 3 days. And I don't know how to get it to pull my calendar into my Go Launcher Calendar widget. Any idears?

dkelly701

Reaction score
Open the settings and go the to Advanced tab. You can set how many days to synchronize there. Lots of other setting there too.

vonfink13

Reaction score
Touchdown works, I will be buying this app, thanks!

One question, is that I cannot figure out how to get it to pull all of my email, it only shows the past 3 days. And I don't know how to get it to pull my calendar into my Go Launcher Calendar widget. Any idears?

couple things about TD...you really have to dig around in settings to get what you want...i think they have 4 tabs of preferences and settings...i have mine set up to push my e-mail and to show 2 weeks of emails...mine has no trouble syncing with my google calendar....also...they have a free/30 day trial version you can test out..it doesnt have all the bells and whistles of the paid version but you can get a good idea if it is gonna work for you....i love it....i had it on my og droid for a long time and it was one of the first apps i dl'd when i got my razr....

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, I tried TD and frankly, didn't like it. Too clunky, too many options, not clean and simple. It is just very cluttered, and I didn't like having to maintain two email clients and calendars. So I uninstalled it, and had my admin just go onto the server that required the encryption, and set the server to automatically forward all emails and calendar requests to my other corporate email that doesn't require encryption.

Now everything comes to one email account, when I accept a meeting invite it adds it to my Go Launcher calendar along with my Google appointments, and everything works just fine.

With encryption now turned off, I can go back to recording video at 1080p(encryption limits it to 720p), and any pics, videos or downloads are now transferable to my PC over the USB cable. With the encryption turned on, if you snap a pic with the phone and try to copy it to your PC's desktop, the file is not readable. Total PITA. Glad I got it sorted.

howzball

Reaction score
Another FYI:

Maybe this happens on other Android devices just never on any that we've owned but, the bottom row of button including the home keys aren't backlit and I haven't found how to enable them even if there is a way..?
It's sad but that is maybe the most frustrating thing about the whole device and a deal killer for my GF. Old eyes ain't what they used to be.

On my Og Droid and the D3 and even the Galaxy Tab these keys are all lit up so you can see the back, home etc keys. Not on this bad boy.

Sorry but looks like this one's going back.

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Another FYI:

Maybe this happens on other Android devices just never on any that we've owned but, the bottom row of button including the home keys aren't backlit and I haven't found how to enable them even if there is a way..?
It's sad but that is maybe the most frustrating thing about the whole device and a deal killer for my GF. Old eyes ain't what they used to be.

On my Og Droid and the D3 and even the Galaxy Tab these keys are all lit up so you can see the back, home etc keys. Not on this bad boy.

Sorry but looks like this one's going back.

You mean the buttons on the bottom of the phone? Home? Back? Menu and Search? Mine light up. I wonder if there is a setting buried somewhere that got disabled on your phone?

howzball

Reaction score
You mean the buttons on the bottom of the phone? Home? Back? Menu and Search? Mine light up. I wonder if there is a setting buried somewhere that got disabled on your phone?

Yeah, those buttons.
I dug through the menu for nearly an hour and haven't found what it might be. I'm going to assume they're just broken.

I knew there was no way Motorola could have just overlooked this so I'm glad to hear that they Are suppose to work and I'm not crazy.
I don't feel bad about returning it now.

OP
SquireSCA

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Would it be under the display settings, or maybe power saving? Do you have the phone set for auto brightness, where perhaps if it is bright out the phone assumes you do not need the backlights? Have you tried it in the dark, or turning off the auto brightness and just setting it to 50% or something manually?

NoBS

Reaction score
Mine are not lighting up either. Changing the display from manual and adjusting to highest intensity did not solve the problem.

howzball

Reaction score
I was able to make her Razr's keys light up but not really sure what it was that did it and they don't light up just by running your finger over them. I tried it in a total dark room too just to see but no joy.

I can push the sleep/power button and they'll light up for a few seconds. Sometimes they'll simply light up while screwing with the phone. Obviously something is wrong with it though.

Maybe we just found a bug?

This would happen to her since she has just spent 2 years with an OG Droid whose screen has always had touch screen issues. The issue where when talking on the phone the screen wouldn't go off and you'd randomly mute yourself. She was very hesitant about getting another Droid too, I talked her off the iPhone ledge but this may have just made her jump.