1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Could Use Some Assistance, Please

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Marine One, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Marine One

Marine One New Member

I've got an original Driod Phone, purchased in December 2009. About 8 months ago I rooted the phone using Droidmod, right after they changed their name from Sholesmod (Build Number 164 (1.0)) and have been using it with their ROM ever since. I've overclocked using SetCpu, and usually keep the max set at 800 MHz.

All was working well until about 3 months ago when the phone started randomly shutting down or freezing up. It doesn't do this often, but just often enough to be annoying, and always requires a battery pull to reset.

I've gone to the Droidmod web page searching for answers but it's like a ghost town over there, so I'm wanting to try loading another ROM to resolve this stability issue. It's been so long since I fooled around at all with this phone that I don't know what to do next, which is where I could use some advice, so here goes:

What steps are necessary for me to change my phone to a different ROM?

Will I first need to back up my apps?

Do I need to uninstall the droidmod rom?

When I click on the DM Updater app, it tells me an update (to Version 0.1.2) is available. Do I need this to go forward with changing my ROM? I'm guessing not because I can get my phone to SPRecovery, but am just not sure and don't want to screw anything up.

When I go into SPRecovery, then Install, it gives me the option to "choose a ROM from SD card." It looks like what I need to do is to choose and then download a ROM to my SD card then use SPRecovery to install that ROM. It also has a selection "allow update.zip" which I am guessing is the update for the DM Updater app, as I downloaded it awhile back but did not go through with the install. The question is, should I?

The phone is still running version 2.0.1, which brings me to another question. Are all ROMs compatible with 2.0.1? My guess is that once a phone is rooted, all ROMs should be capable of being installed and run on the operating system, but I'd appreciate some feedback on that before proceeding.

Lastly, what would be a good "next ROM" for me to try? I'd like to get something that approximates Froyo/2.2 but really need something that will run both fast and smooth. From the reading I've done it sounds like 2.2 runs slow on some phones.

I'm guessing there are probably some here who won't appreciate my "training wheels" approach to all of this. In retrospect I'll be the first to admit that taking the Droidmod "easy" approach to rooting my phone was probably not the wisest way to proceed, but what's done is done. I appreciate any help and patience that can be provided.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Tallica

Tallica Premium Member Premium Member

Wow you are waaaaaay behind if you are running 2.0.1

to backup your apps get titanium backup from the market.

to change Roms download the Rom you like from here: Custom Roms(most are 2.2 Roms which i recommend) then download it and put it on the root of your sdcard (not in any folders) rename it to update.zip , make sure it's not update.zip.zip (as some windows versions hide file extensions), reboot to SPrecovery, wipe Data/factory reset x2, wipe cache partition x2, install, allow update.zip (screen will just flash), install update.zip, reboot
  3. Marine One

Marine One New Member

Thanks for the quick response. Your answer prompted a few more questions so I sent you a PM.
  4. Marine One

Marine One New Member

A big thanks here to Tallica. He answered all of my novice questions regarding installing a new Rom, and I was successfully able to install CNARITY--Smoked Glass Themed V.10 Froyo 2.2.1 this morning. What a difference from what I was running before.
    This forum rocks!!!!
  5. CJM

CJM Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

Take your time to look around the forum. If this is your 2nd rom then you haven't seen nothing yet. TAKE CAUTION, it can be addictive.

Swyped from my Droid using DroidForums App
  6. Marine One

Marine One New Member

Yep, I can see that! dancedroid
  7. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

Id recommend checking out the new Cyanogen builds, theyre pretty awesome.