1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

could this hurt my phone? (physically)

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by tktouch12, Jan 27, 2010.

1. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

i'm paranoyed of my droid making some sound during class. there are so many things that could, im a little worried. i keep it on vibrate/ silent, but i just really dont want to get it taken away.
    i made something to fix this, but i dont know if it could hurt my phone some way physically if i keep using it.
    i took an old pair of headphones, cut off the cord and was left just with the 3.5 plug. i cut it down as far as i could, so all thats left is the plug and a little rubber around the middle, then a little copper sticking out the top. i put a dab of hotglue on the top so i wouldnt poke/ scratch myself. i then put it in the headphone port, and it makes my phone think i have headphones in, so nothing will make sound. its really nice, and makes unlocking the phone easier. i'm worried that the current running through could build up and hurt my phone somehow. could this?
    thanks
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  2. iPirate

iPirate New Member

Have you used it and it works?

I don't see how it would hurt anything, as long as none of the wires are touching.
  3. kaboyd

kaboyd New Member

As long as you turn the ringtone, notifications, and media volume down it shouldn't make a peep. But to answer your question, I don't see how it could hurt your phone at all.
  4. TheOldFart

TheOldFart New Member

Assuming that you took care to make sure that the wires are not touching, you have an open headphone circuit. I really don't know if this could cause any problem with the small headphone amp, but why don't you just turn the phone off during class. It doesn't take that long to turn it on again after class.
  5. jphudy

jphudy New Member

To be sure, try this:

From an electrical standpoint, use a multimeter to test for continuity (i.e. a short) between any two of the contacts on the extended part of the plug. If there is no short, the circuitry of your phone should be safe.

From a physical standpoint, I doubt that leaving the plug inserted could cause the jack to become lose, but can't say for sure.
  6. Briankbl

Briankbl Member

By how you described it, it sounds like you are running a risk of starting a fire or something lol. I was worried about my phone going off at work and then I found out about Locale. Locale is a very handy app. You can set the app to silence your phone when you enter a specific gps area/location. So, if you forget to silence your phone when you get to work/school, the Locale app has your back. And of course you can use it for many other things as well.
  7. s3v3n0ut

s3v3n0ut New Member

I think that's actually a clever little fail safe! If there are no speakers drawing power, I don't see how it can hurt.
  8. JamesX

JamesX New Member

Press and Hold the power button, then when the menu comes up, select Silent Mode.

It will turn all the volumns off.
  9. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

Yes it works, yes I could turn the volume down, but just in case, and it keeps dust out.
    Also, ya, I was wondering about this from an electric standpoint.
  10. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

Yes it works, yes I could turn the volume down, but just in case, and it keeps dust out.
    Also, ya, I was wondering about this from an electric standpoint.
  11. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

Whew!

And I was afraid you had Duct Tapes your little buddy to keep it's mouth shut ...:icon_ devil:

Seriously, it won't hurt it, but just set to silent, same thing.
  12. lschicky

lschicky New Member

Put a little electrical tape over the ends of the wires, but yeah it should be fine.
  13. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

Ok, so just make sure the ends don't touch. But I cut it all the way to the metal. I cut the cords completelyh off, so I guess they couldn't touch if they aren't there.
  14. lschicky

lschicky New Member

unless metal touches the metal that you cut down to, Hence covering with electrical tape. it should insulate it so that doesn't happen
  15. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

Cover the end and you shouldn't have issues, as others have said... but why not just put the phone on silent? Just a question... :)
  16. Zecpull

Zecpull New Member

Better yet...On the Front :Lock Screen..instead of sliding to the right to Lock..You slide it to the left to Lock sound off..
  17. sos567656765

sos567656765 New Member

I really like this idea and i dont see anyway that it would damage the phone as long as the wires arnt shorting out. I have tried putting it on silent but i have a bad habit of grabbing the volume button when taking it out of my pocket thus turning on the sound.
  18. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

i added a pic if anyone is curious.
    i know i could just silence it, i do, but i do other stuff in class, and i never know with as many apps installed as i do, plus it does keep dust out.
    anyway, i covered the top with hot glue, so the metal is covered by the glue
  19. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

another reason i would want to do this: i throw stuff into my calendar and put random notifications, and last time i checked calendar notifications (and alarms, which i have a lot of) arent disabled in silent mode
  20. Houndstooth

Houndstooth New Member

Yeah, there is a lot of sound that isn't disabled in silent mode. There are quite a few threads on this so good idea to you.
Search tags for this page

will rooting hurt my phone

will running with my galaxy 4 phone hurt it