Could texting become Obsolete as a result of smart phones?

loop4zil

Reaction score

ShowTime

Reaction score
And I realize it's a young technology, but since maps updated with Buzz, I have yet to once see a helpful, or in any way interesting or useful buzz by anyone within miles and miles of me.... I'll stick with my texts.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Texting isn't going anywhere. Look at Google Voice, free texting. This is the direction for texting IMO. It'll be free through services like GV.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
IF it goes (or rather fades) it will be for something like chat clients not for email... With more and more phones requiring data-plans and chat clients being available for just about any device this seams the more likely substitute for immediate communication.

anel

Reaction score
now that texting is like chat or aim, why would you rather email? my opinion, no.. it just wouldnt make sense, instant messages compared to emailing.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
if anything i think smartphones have increased the usage of text's.

i dont know about you but i find it much easier to send texts using a full kb rather then a t9 keypad.

Dunc

Reaction score
I'm able to order my Droid in 3 days and it'll be my 1st smart phone. Can you use the data plan and some texting app which would allow you to drop your texting plan? I'm guessing it doesn't work like that.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm able to order my Droid in 3 days and it'll be my 1st smart phone. Can you use the data plan and some texting app which would allow you to drop your texting plan?

Yes. You can use Google Voice for this, just make sure when you get your Droid you do the set up on line correctly. You cannot use Google voice for MMS, so what you may want to consider is instead of dropping your current texting plan go with the 5.00 for 250 minute plan.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Seeing as SMS is limited to 160 Characters, i could see it possibly going away, but it's an easy way to communicate with others. I think a lot of people in here get SMS and MMS mixed up, your not SMSing a picture, your MMSing a picture or small vid. SMS is a simple text based message which is sent over the voice line, not data lines, that is why they only alot you 160 characters. MMS goes over data lines and doesn't have the same restrictions. To me SMS is an easy way to ask someone if they are doing something, or if they have time to do something else, in my eyes it's easier then having to dial them, to just ask 1 simple question. But of course that is my opinion alone.

OP
S

searayman

Reaction score
Texting isn't going anywhere. Look at Google Voice, free texting. This is the direction for texting IMO. It'll be free through services like GV.

but when it comes down to it what is the real difference between email and texting? Email allows for more words etc. I only see positives for email when comparing email to texting.

Silver Member
Reaction score
Seeing as SMS is limited to 160 Characters, i could see it possibly going away, but it's an easy way to communicate with others. I think a lot of people in here get SMS and MMS mixed up, your not SMSing a picture, your MMSing a picture or small vid. SMS is a simple text based message which is sent over the voice line, not data lines, that is why they only alot you 160 characters. MMS goes over data lines and doesn't have the same restrictions. To me SMS is an easy way to ask someone if they are doing something, or if they have time to do something else, in my eyes it's easier then having to dial them, to just ask 1 simple question. But of course that is my opinion alone.
once we're all on LTE and data is data (IE VOIP, etc), SMS and MMS will blur and there will be no distinction. texting will become akin to instant messaging and the boundaries between the two will be further shortened.

in fact, i could see IM going away, in favor of "online" cell phones, as opposed to proprietary chat clients.

just imagine, if your phone is on, you're accessible to the world. you could possibly use proximatey to a PC so that you can take calls and send texts through a desktop client.

mikespe

Reaction score
And I realize it's a young technology, but since maps updated with Buzz, I have yet to once see a helpful, or in any way interesting or useful buzz by anyone within miles and miles of me.... I'll stick with my texts.

You're joking right? Young Technology? It was released YESTERDAY! People still need to figure out what it is and how to best use it. When My Space came out it took some time in a small market (college campuses) to get going...then Facebook came and people didn't know what they should do with that...then Twitter...all variations on Blogging which you don't hear about too much anymore...

I can see Buzz being used as a dating site (OK stop laughing!), Job Search, finding missing children...I think it is very innovative in that it is way ahead of its time. I bet Buzz will take off slowly then reemerge under a new name (or even the same name) when the public is ready...

Texting has its place in our lives and is simple to figure out for the "less tech savvy" people. Buzz and the other social sites tend to take more time to develop because of a larger learning curve....I think Googe Wave will disappear very soon and Buzz will take it's place...