1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

could someone please clear this up for me?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by krise11385, Jan 23, 2010.

1. krise11385

krise11385 New Member

Is it possible to root my droid without using a computer? I have heard it is possible but I can't find exactly how with a step by step any were. If not does anyone kno of someone who lives in the Massachusetts / newhampshire area who could root my phone for me for a small fee? Thanks everyone as I'm sure u can tell I'm Dec a noob.
  2. krazykid6911

krazykid6911 New Member

I'm in norther ma (tewksbury) lol I can root it for you but I'm sure its possible without comp. Hit me up on gtalk rshawdee@gmail.com
  3. Newton122189

Newton122189 New Member

rooting shouldnt require a computer, download the file labeled update.zip(aka. droid-root.zip) and put it on the main level of your sdcard, you can use Astro to download it right on your phone and move it to the main part of the sdcard

Important Files | Sholes

then you can just do steps 3 and 4 and you will be rooted

3. Reboot into recovery mode by holding down the “X” button on the physical keyboard the whole time during boot until you come a /!\ symbol. Then, press the volume up + camera buttons to bring up the menu.
    4. Choose the option “apply sdcard:update.zip”. Wait for it to finish, reboot, and voila you’re rooted.

***HOWEVER***
    if you are going to root your phone, i STRONGLY recommend that you do what is detailed on this page

Installation | Sholes

it will set you up with adb working and with sprecovery, which will allow you to make nandroid backups, which are basically like restore points for android

so you dont need a computer to be rooted but i would strongly recommend doing everything listed on Installation | Sholes which does require a computer
  4. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

Yes this will work but you have to make sure you do it right...exactly how he just said!!
  5. tdawg5480

tdawg5480 New Member

i rooted my replacement droid at 75mph in a trator trailer without a pc, then installed busybox and custom recovery