Could someone help me please??

anay

Reaction score
I was wondering what the data push ment? If I don't have a fetch sched. does it me that the emails should be sent to my phone as soon as it hits my email or does it mean it would be pushed back untill later? Thank you :)

pool_shark

Reaction score
If I understand correctly, fetch is pop3 push is imap, so it depends on your email service provider.

OP
A

anay

Reaction score
Ohhh thanks you two.....I was wondering for the longest time ;)

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Push is great. Gmail is pushed. Here's a little paragraph that is actually part of an "Improving Battery Life" writeup that I did sometime ago:

I don't know what email app you use, but try this. It saves battery power and in most cases emails arrive quicker. This scheme will have you using only the Gmail app on the phone for all email accounts whether they are pop3 accounts or Gmail. Go to the Google Gmail inbox on your computer and log into the Gmail account. On the top right of the screen is an option called Settings. In there is an option to have the Gmail program poll your regular, non-Gmail accounts. Provide the email address and the password. The Google Gmail program will then poll your other accounts on a frequency from 1-5 minutes and push the email immediately to your phone. The polling frequency is determined by each account's activity - more emails = faster polling. It will always be no less frequent than every five minutes. This saves battery power because on the android OS pop3 accounts are polled at a frequency of 1-30 minutes and that really eats battery. Because the phone goes and checks those accounts for mail whether there is mail there or not.

OP
A

anay

Reaction score
Ok just to be sure.... if I have all email accounts open on my phone then delete them go to my gmail account log them that way and check that I want push instead of fetch....ok I'm going to try that thank you :)

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok just to be sure.... if I have all email accounts open on my phone then delete them go to my gmail account log them that way and check that I want push instead of fetch....ok I'm going to try that thank you :)

You don't actually have to delete the accounts on the phone. You can just set the polling frequency to Never. That way they are still there if you want to painlessly switch back.

Good luck.

OP
A

anay

Reaction score

You don't actually have to delete the accounts on the phone. You can just set the polling frequency to Never. That way they are still there if you want to painlessly switch back.

Good luck.

Sweeeeet.....thank you

OP
A

anay

Reaction score

Good luck.

I have another question...after all the settings have been changed in the gmail account, do the messages that go to the other accounts go to just the gmail or will I get a notification like befor from each email account?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Good luck.

I have another question...after all the settings have been changed in the gmail account, do the messages that go to the other accounts go to just the gmail or will I get a notification like befor from each email account?

You will only get a notification from the app that receives an email. The other email apps will be set to Never retrieve emails so they will be no notifications from them. In the Gmail account you will get a notification for all emails that arrive.

chrstdvd

Reaction score
I put this thread on my favorites. Flyfisher provide link to ur original post so I can provide it to others. This topic comes up on many forums, (please)

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I put this thread on my favorites. Flyfisher provide link to ur original post so I can provide it to others. This topic comes up on many forums, (please)

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

There isn't an "original post" as I've always put that paragraph in as a response to email questions by others. I've been using that same paragraph for quite a while. It's actually one of the items in a writeup I did concerning battery life. Just use the paragraph, I don't care as long it helps folks here and there.

I first heard of using Gmail to poll pop3 accounts about 7-8 months ago and immediately started doing it. I've been doing it ever since.

insanedreamer

Reaction score
I wish things other than gmail could be pushed. I use a couple of other email services, and I just really wish it could be :(