Costco and Gnex

jerroedr

Reaction score
Has anyone taken the plunge using costco? What does it come with? Are there other places that have better offers?

Kurupt

Reaction score
I did my new every two at costco for the Bionic, for the simple fact is i i have 90 days to play with it before I commit for two years. On the 87th day I exchanged it for the GNex. Other than that all I got extra was a travel pack case, kinda junk but that's not why I got it at costco.

OP
jerroedr

jerroedr

Reaction score
Yea, costco is awesome enough just to go there to support them and have their support too... my xbox from 3 years ago, if it red ringed right now, or hell if i decided I didnt want it I could go get a refund for the 350 or whatever and buy a newer better one for less... with more.... costco rules, but i digress, the extras were not anything special?
Was it 289?

Kurupt

Reaction score
yeah 289 my bad, I am about to go exchange some bed sheets I got from there that turned to crap after they were washed. I love costco. And no the extras were nothing special at all

PhiQuanTu

Reaction score
I bought from Costco too, just for the 90 days direct replacement warranty (not refurbished). I think we only get 14 days to switch phones like other places though. Their extra accessories for this phone are craps. The included screen protector is a square piece of clear plastic. You have to cut it into to suit with your phone's screen, which sucks.

OP
jerroedr

jerroedr

Reaction score
oh my lord, really? that bad? do they honor the verizon renewal discount? does it come with a car charger?

hydro556

Reaction score
Pretty cool that Costco is that flexible with the returns on phones. How many days does Verizon give someone to return a Nexus that they bought on their New Every 2 renewal?

Kinda screwed up that Costco is more flexible than Verizon, unless I am missing something.

OP
jerroedr

jerroedr

Reaction score
costco is all about the customer, with no care about verizon

Reaction score
Here is what I got! It comes with a case, crappy screen protectors, and a wall/car charger thing with a long cord along with the stock usb wall charger combo. And Costco return policy is 90 day 14 day exchange no restocking fee. You can finagle a 90 day exchange by returning your phone and get the same one with a new receipt and going to a different costco for the exchange:icon_ devil:. I ditch the bionic this way and love my nexus

IMG_20120102_082206.jpgIMG_20120102_082226.jpgIMG_20120102_082950.jpg

GoBears

Reaction score
Damn, Costco sounds cool. Closest one to me is over an hour away. Still might be worth it for electronic purchases though. Is it yearly fee there?

EDIT: Nevermind found the membership page

OP
jerroedr

jerroedr

Reaction score
no, its 50 bucks, but they have literally literally everything.. yes. two literallys. eye doctor hearing aids tire center food clothes office stuff video games computers tvs everything... oh and gas thats like 5 cents cheaper than everywhere per gallon

jrbmed08

Reaction score
I bought mine from Costco on the release day.

There are definitely some advantages to getting a smartphone at Costco. The 90-day exchange is great, and they will honor it, no questions asked. People have brought back phones with smashed screens within 90 days and gotten replacements. And you still have Verizon's 1-year warranty...the Costco 90-day period doesn't make VZW's warranty null and void. If you have a Costco Amex, you're getting cash back on that $290 purchase. And while the accessory pack for the Nexus is kinda lame, they have given out better accessory packs for other phones, and I won't turn down extra stuff, even if it's crappy. The horizontal pouch case is actually exactly what I was looking for since I carry my phone on a belt while I'm at work. But the biggest advantage for me as a CA resident was that Costco taxes you on $289, whereas VZW charges tax on the full retail value of the phone ($750 or something). I believe this is specific to California.

Costco will not honor a NE2 discount or work discounts that VZW will. I lost my NE2 by purchasing at Costco, and while I can still use my $50 work discount for smartphones if I buy my next one directly from VZW 2 years in the future, I couldn't apply it to the Costco price. So actually the phone would have been cheaper for me to buy at VZW if it weren't for the tax thing. With the cheaper tax at Costco but the more expensive price without my discount, it actually worked out to be almost exactly the same price from both places, but without the accessories if I bought directly from VZW.

They do not have a 30-day return policy like someone mentioned earlier. It's 14 days, and if you bring the phone back even one day later to return it rather than to exchange it, you can't get your contract reversed and will only be able to buy phones at full retail price for the rest of your contract. I found this out the hard way 12/30, 15 days into my contract, when I tried to return it because of a major problem. Also, if you return the phone, you also have to return everything that came with it, including all chargers/headphones and the accessory pack. I'm not sure how this works if you exchange rather than return it.

Costco also gets only limited quantities of each phone. My local store had 6 Galaxy Nexus phones. I bought the last one on 12/15, and it hasn't been restocked since then. This has created a big problem for me, since I got a defective one and need to exchange it, but I can't find a Costco that still has it in stock. I even looked at two Costcos in a state 3000 miles away since I was there on vacation.

I hope this helps clear up some of the issues about buying from Costco. I think they're a pretty good place to buy a phone, despite the limited selection.