Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
oi9uZOL.jpg

Microsoft just updated it's beta version of Cortana (1.0.0.204). This update will allow users to replace Google Now on their Android home button (either by pressing and holding or dragging up) with Cortana. This will no doubt help make Cortana better integrated with the Android operating system, but even then there are some limitations.

DHAUqQr.jpg

For example Google Now can be activated by saying “OK Google”, but voice activation for Cortana is not possible at the moment due to hardware limitations. This prevents Cortana from constantly listening for its activation phrase, but we reckon this is good enough.

Microsoft hasn’t mentioned when the official version of the app will be available, but one could expect it to arrive shortly. Once the official app is released, all of the features you get with Windows Phone will be available for Android users to enjoy.

Unofficial Microsoft News

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I tried the beta for a while, then gave up. Partly because of the need to put an icon on my homescreen. If I could launch it with the home button, I might be more apt to give it a fair shake, especially now that I'm running Windows 10 on my PC.

But, if you leave the beta community on G+, apparently you have to wait for another invite to rejoin, so I lost out. I tried clicking the link to join in the email I originally received, but no luck.

I still don't think Cortana could ever completely take GN's place for me, especially since I'm running GN Launcher, but I do like that she's got at least a little bit of a personality.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Also, kudos to you @wicked for posting stories I was about to read elsewhere more than once today. Me: "I'll open this in a new tab and see what other stories they've got"...refresh DF..."Oh. Wicked's posted about that. I'll read it there." ;)

OP
wicked

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I tried the beta for a while, then gave up. Partly because of the need to put an icon on my homescreen. If I could launch it with the home button, I might be more apt to give it a fair shake, especially now that I'm running Windows 10 on my PC.

But, if you leave the beta community on G+, apparently you have to wait for another invite to rejoin, so I lost out. I tried clicking the link to join in the email I originally received, but no luck.

I still don't think Cortana could ever completely take GN's place for me, especially since I'm running GN Launcher, but I do like that she's got at least a little bit of a personality.

Same here. Tried it also but went back to Google Now.

Also, kudos to you @wicked for posting stories I was about to read elsewhere more than once today. Me: "I'll open this in a new tab and see what other stories they've got"...refresh DF..."Oh. Wicked's posted about that. I'll read it there." ;)

Thanks! David is out of the office so I'm trying my best to get some of these stories out as fast as possible.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I tried the beta. Couldn't get it to work, uninstalled.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I could see people who're newer to android that adopt Windows 10 and give it a try maybe being sold on the idea of using it on their phones, but people like us on this forum are mostly already entrenched in GN if we're going to use any service like this.

I don't mind not being able to launch by voice from anywhere, but when On Tap comes around, if it works as well as they demoed, all alternatives to Google Now will be dead to me.