1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Corrupted Camera/Gallery "AGAIN"on my Galaxy Note 2

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note 2' started by Batman8, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Batman8

Batman8 Member

As much as I love my GN2, it is driving me crazy as I keep finding that my stock Camera & Gallery apps are corrupted. I went into the Gallery to look at photos that were showing up fine, and suddenly all I see are my movies and black/blank icons in the gallery where all the pictures were (but the little number still shows how many pictures are there although you can't see them anymore). If I try to then take additional pictures with the stock camera I still get nothing in the gallery but the movies.

I then went into the file management app to check the pictures and they are all still on my SD card and show fine through that app. I tried clearing the cache AND data of both the stock camera and the gallery app but that didn't help. I then tried a restart and pulled the battery out along with removing and replacing my SD card and SIM card but that did nothing either. I then called Verizon who had no ideas so they put me on a 3-way call with them & Samsung and they asked me to put the phone in Safe Mode (where only the basic app are loaded) but that didn't help either! Their next suggestion of course was a "factory data reset" which can be very painful...

This was all during the first time that it happened, and I thought that it might be from one particular app/game that was causing it, so I deleted that app but still had to perform a Factory Data Reset to get the camera & gallery working. Of course a few hours later it happened again!!!!

I don't believe it is the SD card since I have tons of other data on the 64GB card and all the other data works fine (music, movies, game data, docs, etc. all load fine). I have tried other camera and picture apps from the Google Play Store/market and they all work fine too. This is driving me nuts so I felt I had to reach out to the tech support folks who has always been more helpful and informative than VZW and that's been you all. I've gotten more problems resolved here in the forums over the years than anywhere. Have any of you run into this?

I sure hope one of you has the answer to this one. I love this phone, but I am sick of dealing with resetting it, and I hate not having my stock apps working. If I can ever get everything loaded on it and set up like I want, I plan to make a full TB backup and a Nandroid backup too (if Rom Manager ever supports the VZW Note 2).

PLEASE HELP! Thanks.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  2. pool_shark

pool_shark New Member

I remember back in the day if you deleted pics using a file manager the gallery didn't like it much and would cause those blanks.
    Clearing cache and data, and running sdrescan would fix it.
    But that was in the Droid 2 days, I haven't had that problem since that phone.
  3. Batman8

Batman8 Member

Yeah, I remember those days too...I think I was using my DX or Bionic at that time. But I haven't deleted any pics (with a file manager or otherwise) so this issue isn't as simple to resolve as it was back then. Thanks however for the response Pool_Shark! I hope somebody comes up with a solution soon...this is nuts.
  4. huskur

huskur New Member

My best guess is you have a bad SD card. I know you said it was 64GB but what class is it?
  5. huskur

huskur New Member

You need to change the SD card before anything. Make sure you get a class 8 or 10. Try it.....bet it solves the issue. I have seen this before in the forums
  6. Batman8

Batman8 Member

Thanks for the input Huskur. I use Sandisk Ultras and everything is still working fine with all other apps and files still load just fine too. When you heard of this happening, was there any sort of app/utility that corrected it or was the card just replaced? Thx.
  7. Natey2

Natey2 New Member

I recall a bug in the stock gallery indexer a long time ago that caused this kind of issue. If the actual image files are OK, it must be the thumbnails that are corrupted, because that's what the gallery displays. There are ways to get it to rebuild the thumbnail files.
  8. Batman8

Batman8 Member

That sounds about right Natey2, but can you please share with me the "ways to get it to rebuild the thumbnail files?" I am all ears!
  9. Batman8

Batman8 Member

Hey Natey2, I did some research on rebuilding the thumbnail files and found some interesting posts all over the net. One of them however DID solve the problem, so before any of you that are having this issue performs a daring Factory Data Reset or try to reformat your SDcard to resolve this, first you might want to clear the data on your Media Storage app in the settings! Basically go to "settings/application manager/media storage/clear data" then reboot and wait about 5-10 minutes for your data to refresh itself. Be warned that I also lost all of my music playlists when doing this, but it did correct the problem with my Gallery AND stock Camera so that they both work again. I was able to later restore my playlist with TB since I'm rooted.

Also, I take no credit for this information since I'm just passing it on to hopefully help someone else going through the same thing. If I could remember who actually solved the issue I would surely give him/her credit since the forum folks have proven once again to be smarter than BOTH Verizon AND Samsung with their own product (knowing it better than they do which is amazing).

Thanks again all, and good luck.
  10. pool_shark

pool_shark New Member

That was part of the fix from the old days, so basically nothing has changed, except the instances of the problem are few and far between.

I don't understand why it took you so long to resolve this anyway.
    Why didn't you just pull some bat tool out of your utility belt. :)
  11. Batman8

Batman8 Member

Hey Pool_Shark, I'm glad to see some folks still here from the old days to refresh all of our memories of the fixes from back then. I'm so glad to now get the Gallery and stock Camera back that I'm trying hard to overlook the 156 screenshot images that still just won't display in the Gallery at all. If anyone knows why that is, don't hesitate to let me know.

These days my bat utility belt is working just fine, it's just the bat computer (G Note 2) that's on the fritz recently. :cool-b:
  12. pool_shark

pool_shark New Member

Did you try sdrescan?
  13. Batman8

Batman8 Member

Tried it but it didn't help. Thanks though.
  14. asablue

asablue New Member

I had this happen to me talked to a tech person from Minnesota and he had me check my sd card on my home computer and it worked
    there so he had me down load everything to my desktop and reformat my sd card and reloaded everything back onto my sd card and it
    works perfect now.
  15. moshi

moshi New Member

settings/application manager/media storage/clear data

Hi
    Thank you guys for the information.
    I have a similar problem, only that the corrupted files are the video that i had taken with the Note camera. Others videos that i've been shared with, played ok. The stills photo are ok too.
    I also noticed that if the video file isn't big enough, it can still be played. but files over, say, 350 Mb are always corrupted.
    I'm sure it is something to do with the SD card, since when I replaced my card with my friend's card, the problem roamed to his device... more than that, if i dismount the SD card from my device, the videos file are fine.
    I already formatted the SD. It helped for a while but the problem returned.
    However, i'd like to try the above solution (unless anyone has a better idea), but I can't find the "media storage/clear data" at "settings/application manager/".

Could someone direct me to the "clear date" app? do I have to install it or is it part of the system?

thank's again
  16. lipak

lipak New Member

In setting/application manager there will be 3 sections 1. Downloaded apps 2 . Running 3. All... Media Storage (in fact all system apps) will appear in ALL section
    click on there you will see 'clear data'

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  17. sly808

sly808 New Member

galaxy note 2-corrupted photos/videos

Hey! When you did that did it also erase your corrupted pics. Any suggestions on recovery?
    Thanks!
  18. moshi

moshi New Member

cant find the "media storage/clear data" menu

Hi.
    i must be doing something wrong.
    attached is a screen shot of my "settings/application manager". one can see there isn't "media storage" at all.
    what am i doing wrong?
  19. Tom_Syntex

Tom_Syntex New Member

Corrupted Gallery

For about 6 months I've been having problems with my Note II deleting my playlists. Sometimes they would last a few weeks, sometimes only a few days. Annoying, but not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Then about a week ago, my Camera gallery stopped working. Just a blank page would appear where my albums used to be. The pictures were still accessible thru the file manager, but that was a pain to use. And sometimes when I went to open the gallery, the camera app opened instead. So now I had to get serious and fix this. I could not let my wife with her iPhone 4 trash talk my Note II.

I thought about trudging into the AT&T store for technical help, but figured unless I got extremely lucky, they would just say 'factory reset' and move on. So I came here.

When you said that the fix would erase your playlists, then I figured we were on to something. Your solution did indeed work perfectly.

These phones have become so complex, I doubt if there is anyone who actually understands how the software works to this level of detail in every situation.

I registered today for this forum for the sole purpose of saying thank you for your help. Even though your issue is now a year behind you, thanks so much for posting the solution for the rest of us.

Have a great holiday season.

Tom
  20. jimg50

jimg50 New Member

Its due to backup plus you have to disable it. I spoke with Verizon and told them to take that app off but they refuse. I have had the same problem it sends pictures to the web and take some of your phone and I can't retrieve them under Application Manager you need to stop the application do of force stop.
Search tags for this page
galaxy note 2 camera not working
galaxy note 2 gallery not responding
galaxy note 2 gallery not working
galaxy note 2 gallery problem
galaxy note 2 picture problems

galaxy note gallery problem

note 2 gallery not responding
note 2 gallery not working

note 2 gallery problem

samsung galaxy note 2 gallery problems

samsung galaxy note camera problem