Corrupt video after battery died.

droid deconstructor

Reaction score
Well, I was in Alaska on a ski plane and pretty much I recorded a video until my droid eris battery died. My phone froze while taking video after I received a warning message that my battery was at 15%. Now, when I try to play the video on my phone or on my pc it gives me two different error messages. when I try to play the video on my phone it says that the video cannot be played. When I try to play the video on my pc using quicktime it says that there is a bad public movie atom. I have tried other programs like windows media player, and vlc but no go. This video means the world to me since I shot it on a once in a lifetime trip and I would love to recover it. Any advice will be better than the position I am in now.

D

dvdcatalyst

if it isn't too big, and you don't have any private scenes in it, toss what you have in my email. I'll have a go with it, and see if I can make it work for you.

edit 01-2014: I no longer do file-repair.

I no longer have the time for doing file-repair.

The process is quite complicated and time-intensive, and even then chances are very slim for it to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D

droid deconstructor

Reaction score
The 3gp video is 318MBs. So it will be difficult to send it to you by email. I have been doing some research and so far have found a program by the name of Avidemux. It has played the video without audio so far. The end of the video kind of blurs and fades out. This does bring light to the tunnel because I didnt think there was much hope.

D

dvdcatalyst

The 3gp video is 318MBs. So it will be difficult to send it to you by email. I have been doing some research and so far have found a program by the name of Avidemux. It has played the video without audio so far. The end of the video kind of blurs and fades out. This does bring light to the tunnel because I didnt think there was much hope.

A little too big for email I guess.

While I do have a few trick up my sleve, I would suggest to look into mplayer/mencoder in combination with the -idx switch. It gets pretty complicated, since its commandline-based, but if there is one thing that would make things work it would be those.

The process is quite complicated and time-intensive, and even then chances are very slim for it to work.

EspensAunt

Reaction score
Bad public movie atom

Good afternoon,

I have a video which is priceless to me. It should show my brand new nephew coming home from the hospital for the first time but unfortunately when I try to play it, I also get the bad public movie atom. I have tried everything withing my capabilities to get it to work but so far the only thing I get is the audio. : ( Is there any chance in heck you might have more ideas? When you mention commandline, I instantly glaze over; I would have no idea where to begin.

I would forever be grateful for any other help or ideas you may have.

Thank you so much...

D

dvdcatalyst

Good afternoon,

I have a video which is priceless to me. It should show my brand new nephew coming home from the hospital for the first time but unfortunately when I try to play it, I also get the bad public movie atom. I have tried everything withing my capabilities to get it to work but so far the only thing I get is the audio. : ( Is there any chance in heck you might have more ideas? When you mention commandline, I instantly glaze over; I would have no idea where to begin.

I would forever be grateful for any other help or ideas you may have.

Thank you so much...

if its not too big, and isn't too personal, you can email it to me or provide me a (private) download link using something like DropBox, I'll see if I can come up with something to make it work. I can suggest a few other things to try, but if the word "commandline" is already scaring you, I doubt that any of my ther tricks would be doable :)

email me at dvdcatalyst at gmail dot com.

EspensAunt

Reaction score
I would have no problem sending it but it's 183MB... It's a bit large to email. At the end of my work day I could probably upload it to a webserver and give you a direct link that way.... would that work?

D

dvdcatalyst

I would have no problem sending it but it's 183MB... It's a bit large to email. At the end of my work day I could probably upload it to a webserver and give you a direct link that way.... would that work?

Its a little big for email, but if you can provide me a link to it, I'd be happy to give it a shot.
I can not promise I'll be able to make it work, but I will give it my best shot.

When you have it uploaded, just send me an email or a PM on these forums, rather than making the link publicly available.

EspensAunt

Reaction score
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I will send you an email later with the link. I appreciate your help and understand that it may not work but I've got my fingers crossed. :)

D

dvdcatalyst

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I will send you an email later with the link. I appreciate your help and understand that it may not work but I've got my fingers crossed. :)

You are very welcome, I'm always happy to help.

brandonfish

Reaction score
Same Problem

Hey! I'm having the same exact problem, is there any way you can take a look at my file? I put it DropBox, how can I get it to you. Thanks in advance.

D

dvdcatalyst

Hey! I'm having the same exact problem, is there any way you can take a look at my file? I put it DropBox, how can I get it to you. Thanks in advance.

Hi Brandon,

I am sorry, but unfortunately, I couldn't get Espens video file to work. I spent a couple of days using various different methods to try and get it to work, and I only managed to get the very first frame of the video to display. I did manage to get the full audio to actually play.

If that would work for you, I'll gladly provide instructions on how to do it, but thats basically as much as I can do with a corrupted 3gp video file.

kamylka13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One
Hello, maybe someone here will be able to help. The same happened to me, recording a video and phone died. I have the corrupt file however all I need to recover is the sound. Any advice would be super appreciated as I was collecting evidence against my abusive neighbours and this clip had some valuable "noise" on it.