Corrupt and useless SD-CARD

vernon27

Reaction score
Hello All,

Device and Software Information:

Samsung Galaxy S8+ (Model: SM-G955U) running Android 8.0; Prior Version: 7.1

Purchase date: April 2017

Recent software update: G955USQS3CRE2 on May 24, 2018 at 1:22 AM

Prior to the most recent software upgrade my sd-card (which I have had for over 7 years) was working fine.

This card was used in previous devices with no problem. Ever since the most recent software update on May 24, 2018 at 1:22 AM the sd-card (ScanDisk Ultra 60 gig) is no longer working. When I removed the sd-card and placed it into another cellphone that cellphone does not read the card. The card was then inserted into a laptop card reader (using the sd-card adapter) and Windows (no matter what version) still does not read or even recognize that the card is inserted. Removed the card and inserted it into an Apple computer and still the same issue. I inserted the same card into other Samsung cellphones (Note 8, Note 3, S7) and still none of those devices read the card or even recognize that the card is even present.

Took an sd-card from another device and inserted that card into my S8+ and the phone recognized that sd-card. Removed that sd-card and inserted my original sd-card back into the S8+ and the S8+ did not recognize the card. Tried to use Astro to read the card and Astro did not "see/find" the sd-card,

So despite the fact that this sd-card worked for 7 sears and have been moved from one device to another the card no longer works and appears to be corrupted after the most recent software update.

How can I get my S8+ to read my sd-card which was working for years until the most recent software update. The sd-card is not encrypted and has never been.

Regards,

Vernon

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
sd cards are easily corrupted, so many things can corrupt them. One way is if you pull it from the device too soon before it finish writing. Also, they only have only so many read and writes. there is alway a chance your card reached the end of its life.

One more thing you can try, place the card back into your computer and go into disk management and see if it shows there without a drive letter. if so, assign one. if not. then the card is most likely dead.

OP
vernon27

vernon27

Reaction score
Hello me just saying,

"One more thing you can try, place the card back into your computer and go into disk management and see if it shows there without a drive letter. if so, assign one. if not. then the card is most likely dead."

I tried that and no computer can "see" the card. When this occurred and after troubleshooting the issue I concluded the card was corrupt and therefore useless. In fact, the card will not even format in any device that it is insertedinto; including my S8+.

Just furious that the card failed just after the most recent update.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I had a similar issue a while back. I had over 10 GB of music on my SD Card and one day I saw a Notification on my phone that my card was unmounted. I turned the phone off, removed the card, re-inserted and turned the phone back on. Android then notified me that the card had to be formatted. Not wanting to lose my music the night before a business flight I shut the phone off again, removed the card and tried to copy files off the card in my laptop. Nope. Denied. Windows said the files were corrupt and would not even format the card. I put it back in my phone and tried to format it. Nope. Denied. I had to spend a few hours putting some music back on my phone - internal memory for the flight home the next morning. I haven't put my music back on a SD Card since that night, I keep it all on internal memory and use my SD Card for pictures only. Which i regularly backup with Photos and my external hard drive.

OP
vernon27

vernon27

Reaction score
I had a similar issue a while back. I had over 10 GB of music on my SD Card and one day I saw a Notification on my phone that my card was unmounted. I turned the phone off, removed the card, re-inserted and turned the phone back on. Android then notified me that the card had to be formatted. Not wanting to lose my music the night before a business flight I shut the phone off again, removed the card and tried to copy files off the card in my laptop. Nope. Denied. Windows said the files were corrupt and would not even format the card. I put it back in my phone and tried to format it. Nope. Denied. I had to spend a few hours putting some music back on my phone - internal memory for the flight home the next morning. I haven't put my music back on a SD Card since that night, I keep it all on internal memory and use my SD Card for pictures only. Which i regularly backup with Photos and my external hard drive.

After trying everything I can think of to get the card to work; in the end it was a fruitless effort. I concluded that the card was beyond repair; I cannot even get it to format in the phone let alone on a pc/laptop and neither device "sees" the card. Fortunately, I make regular backups of the contents to an external drive but to think that the card worked for 7 years and then just became corrupted after the most recent software update made me conclude that the card may have been going bad even though it showed no signs.

Either way, I have purchased a new card and will hope this issue does not occur in the future.