Correct Folder Structure for SD Card

phillipsjosh2415

Reaction score
I read a post on one of the Droid/Inc forums where someone gave the correct folder structure (or at least their ideal one) for the SD card on the DInc. The poster said that either the DInc or the Android OS (I don't remember which) is very particular about where certain files are stored and he/she recommended and listed a certain folder structure. I can't find that for the life of me. I have searched for hours on various forums.

Can anyone point me to that post or thread if they also remember reading it?

Or at least can some of you list the folder structure that you use on your DInc SD card?

Thanks.

northnet04

Reaction score
I'm sure there will be some really intelligent and enlightened follow ups to this but in my limited experience, the apps will put stuff where they want to on the sdcard. I haven't had to worry about it one bit.

YMMV

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there will be some really intelligent and enlightened follow ups to this but in my limited experience, the apps will put stuff where they want to on the sdcard. I haven't had to worry about it one bit.

YMMV

I'll second this one. The only times you need specific locations is for additional alarms, notifications, and ringers. After that, I let the OS do what it pleases.

Tinsammich

Reaction score
Usually if you put the SD card in the phone and go to settings and format it, the phone will create the correct file structure for you. Give it a shot and let us know if it works. :)

OP
phillipsjosh2415

phillipsjosh2415

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I understand what each of you are saying, but my concern for folder structure has more to do with where I store stuff such as music, sound clips, photos, documents, etc on the sd card. I know the apps and the OS will do what they are programmed to do. I guess I should have made it more clear that I am referring more to what folders I need to place files in as I add files to the phone myself.
For example if I copy a song (MP3 or whatever) from my PC and place it on the SD card, when I go to music will I see it? Will it show up under ringtones also? Can I add it as a contact specific ringtone? Or do I need to be particular about what I name a folder and/or subfolder in order for the files to be where I can access them through the phone?

angus

Reaction score
SD

I just made a new folder labeled Music then I droped all my songs from I tunes in it. They all show up under music did same for pictures.

northnet04

Reaction score
I think you're worrying about nothing really. The Android OS/HTC Sense apps will put things where they want, or will have settings to allow you to modify where they store files.

For applications, it would be application specific. I have found, so far, that music files and other media (images etc..) are searched and found by the appropriate apps. I can store music for instance in several different locations and the built in 'Music' app finds them all just fine.

I say just create what ever structure you like, just be careful if you want to delete an existing folder! I can also recommend ES File Explorer. If you don't have that app yet, get it.

rosariorose9

Reaction score
I just made a new folder labeled Music then I droped all my songs from I tunes in it. They all show up under music did same for pictures.

That's exactly what I did, and it works perfectly...