Corporate Sync passcode/PIN bug

Discussion in 'Droid 2 Tech Issues' started by ZPrime, Aug 12, 2010.

1. ZPrime

ZPrime New Member

Posted this originally over at the official Motorola forum.

The Corporate Sync app used for Exchange mail has a bug, where even if your IT department does NOT explicitly require a PIN/password, the phone will still make you enter one and not allow you to clear it. Also, if your IT department does require a PIN, but less than 4 digits are required, the Corp Sync app will still force you to use at least 4 digits.

It's VERY annoying if you are used to having a phone without a PIN and suddenly it forces a PIN upon you. :icon_evil:

This doesn't happen with the Droid X against the exact same Exchange server with the same ActiveSync policy. The server is Exchange 2007 SP2. (v8.2. build 176.2)
  2. Kamokazi

Kamokazi New Member

Heh, I just registered to make a new post asking about this, by the time I register, you post this :). I have my own little Exchange box working in conjunction with our POP3 server at work, 2007 no service packs.

My Touch Pro 2 and another user here with a Drioid 1 have always been find, fired up the shiny new D2 and wtf pin?!! Been messing with EAS policies all day trying to get it to work. Hopefully the get a fix soon.
  3. ZPrime

ZPrime New Member

Yeah it's really damn annoying, because it's an obvious bug. It's basically just ignoring the "Password Required" flag and always requiring one if you hook it to Exchange. As I mentioned, it also makes you use 4 digits even if you have a policy in place requesting only ONE. Stupid bug.
  4. Kamokazi

Kamokazi New Member

And I am guessing there is no way to bypass using Moto's sync without having the phone rooted? (Which obviously does not yet exist for the D2.)
  5. ZPrime

ZPrime New Member

Well, you could still use Touchdown. I already have a license for it so I may go back to that until they fix the bug, but I prefer using the built-in apps when possible. Or IMAP if your Exchange server supports that.

You really should patch that thing up if it's still running no service pack. Pretty insecure, and they've added features in the later SPs.
  6. Kamokazi

Kamokazi New Member

Yeah I know the risks....if it was a serious production box it would be. But it's just a technet test box, all the other 200ish users run off our main Postfix server. I've been meaning to try out 2010 on a VM but haven't had the time.
  7. moneyfornothing

moneyfornothing New Member

Yes, my droid2 is doing the same thing with the passcode. This Moto 2.2 corp synch is turning out to be horrible. The contacts don't synch correctly at all ( see other thread about this issue).

A few times tonight, when the phone has been in standy for a while, I've had to type this pin number to get into the phone. That is very annoying!!!
  8. ZPrime

ZPrime New Member

I got too pissed at Corp Sync and just removed the account, went back to Touchdown. It's ugly as sin and doesn't integrate as well with the phone's systems (The contacts are a hack, and the calendar doesn't sync at all with the internal version) but it's better than missing half of my contacts. :rolleyes:
  9. moneyfornothing

Yeah, luckily the contacts isnt a deal breaker for me. I just turned off the contacts from syncing for now. I am hoping they will fix this soon however.

I went from an LG messaging phone with an Itouch, to this, and well, to be honest, I don't see how synching with Exchange is so hard for Moto to get right...

Right now, I am not feeling the Droid2 at all.....
  10. breichard

breichard New Member

Newbie alert. Frankly, I'm glad to hear this is a bug. I spent several hours messing with EAS settings (over and over and over) and removing and re-adding the corporate sync account from the Droid 2. I guess now I just have to wait for the fix...and keep putting in the pin.

I miss my Treo 755p with SnapperMail.
  11. o0HERO0o

o0HERO0o New Member

does anyone know what it means when it says host name unknown I can't get past the first screen with domain\username - password - email - server. Any thoughts?
  12. thatguychuck

thatguychuck New Member

Oh the fun. Well...I can confirm that the wipe function works perfect after five incorrect tries. Crap.
  13. cnardone70

cnardone70 New Member

Do we have any updates on this issue? Mine is still forcing the passcode and im getting sick of it.
  14. cnardone70

cnardone70 New Member

Do we have any updates on this bug yet, or are people still having issues? i dont know how much longer i can take this bug
  15. ZPrime

ZPrime New Member

Still a problem, and the Froyo update for the Droid X has also given them this wonderful bug as well (great job, Motorola :rolleyes:).

One of the official Moto people in their own forums says that the fix for this is "in the next release" but he has no timeframe for when that will come out. :(
  16. Redflea

Redflea New Member

I've been curious - what is wiped in this case, just the Exchange account, or ?
  17. danwanna

danwanna New Member

I prefer this bug to the one on the stock email client on the D1. If you had a PIN requirement my policy it didn't allow you to change the lock duration. Basically every time the screen went off you were forced to enter your pin. At least you can adjust the duration on the D2.

I'm sure it doesn't help with your situation, but just trying to point out that Google's implementation isn't any better.
  18. moneyfornothing

fix

I did find a fix for the pincode issue for Froyo on the X. The minute I updated to froyo, this pincode issue showed up on the X.

If you login into your webmail (OWA access), and go to options, and the delete your phone's from your profile. Then remove the account from your phone, reboot the phone, and readd the exchange account, this removes the pincode on Froyo on the X. I found this fix on the froyo bugs thread on this forum.

Worked perfectly for me.
  19. m00nbeast

m00nbeast New Member

I tried this and it didn't work. In fact, after I removed the exchange account from the phone and rebooted it, it asked me for the pin that was set up initially when setting up the exchange account.
  20. moneyfornothing

Sorry it doesnt work on the D2, I thought maybe it would. I am so glad I took my D2 back, and got the X. With Froyo, everything is working perfectly.
Search tags for this page
activesync motox disable password
android corporate e-maio lock pin
android corporate sync forces pin
android corporate sync host is unknown
android email error the host is unknown.
corporate sync causing pin
corporate sync droid 2 the host is unknown
do you have to have a pin for corporate sync
droid 3 corporate email host unknown
error when setting up active sync on android host unknow
exchange pin policy still applied droid phone

the host is unknown corporate sync