Corporate Sync -- Cannot connect to server

ocdtrekkie

Reaction score
Thanks, the big thing that got me, was the level 3 support email address, from the looks of it. I was trying to get a hold of them earlier.

They need a special phone line or code word that will inform them that you're either IT or a programmer, and wish to speak to someone higher up immediately, because you wouldn't be calling for something a level 1 or level 2 support rep could help with.

xkcd: Tech Support

spruleme

Reaction score
I had this same exact issue with my Droid 3 yesterday. Corporate Sync worked for a few days and then I couldn't connect. I made the mistake of deleting the account, turns out our SSL cert expired yesterday. On the other Droid 3s I was able to disable certificate verification under the account settings and they worked fine. Mine was not able to re-create the account. The cert was renewed this morning and all is well in the world. If you are using a self-signed cert you will need to either have your Droid 3 on the lan when creating the account or get a paid cert.

Good find about this, I had opened up http activesync to work around the self signed issue but didn't realize I could disable verify certs afterwards. Kudos to you, sir.dancedroid

Csquared2429

Reaction score
LAN not accessible - still having trouble

So I'm trying to complete the workarounds that you all posted, thanks for doing that.

Problem is I'm in a remote office and won't be able to get on LAN to get the certificate.

Anyone have a workaround? I'd like to get corporate sync up and running but can't find a workaround. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Csquared

aconway

Reaction score
Have your IT person email you the Cert file (to your gmail or something you can pickup on your Droid), then you can install it locally on your Droid, then set up the Corporate sync. This is the process I always used for older PDA's and phones using self-signed certs with ActiveSync and it seemed to work... I could just tap the .cer file from the email and it would prompt to install it, although it will be 'untrusted', just accept/yes and install it anyways..

Also.. could try setting up a VPN (if your network provides that), connect to it first, then configure corporate sync...

brent817

Reaction score
I had this issue as well with my Droid 3 at work but got it working. My account settings are:

Username: domain/user
server: mail.domain.org

i am using a secure connection and have verify certificate checked (we are using a self cert)

>having http:// in front of the server stops it from working
>removing the domain\ from before the user stops it from working

I set up the connection using wifi, not 3g. And it only worked using the SSID that had LAN access.

Peirogirl

Reaction score
Solution to Corporate sync Unable to connect to server error and Droid 3

Just purchased the Droid 3 today. I am an avid Droid owner as I had the original Droid and Droid 2 previously. I did not have issues with corporate sync until the Droid 3. After reading the forums on the net, I finally figured I would call Motorola directly as no one was having any luck. The issue is with the Gingerbread release that is loaded on the Droid X and Droid 3.

Here is the solution that works!

1. Set up corporate sync with your gmail account first using the following....
(Username) enter your gmail email
(Email) enter your gmail email
(server) enter m.google.com

2. Accept and save the account.

3. open Settings ~ Accounts ~ and the account you just created.

4. Modify all of the account settings to reflect your actual corporate account.

5. Save....

Viola!

I spent over an hour on the phone with Motorola and it was well worth it! Please try this solution and enjoy!

Peirogirl

Reaction score
PS... Again, it is not an SSL certificate issue, but rather an issue with the Gingerbread release.

Csquared2429

Reaction score
Genius! This works like a charm!

Just purchased the Droid 3 today. I am an avid Droid owner as I had the original Droid and Droid 2 previously. I did not have issues with corporate sync until the Droid 3. After reading the forums on the net, I finally figured I would call Motorola directly as no one was having any luck. The issue is with the Gingerbread release that is loaded on the Droid X and Droid 3.

5. Save....

Viola!

I spent over an hour on the phone with Motorola and it was well worth it! Please try this solution and enjoy!

This got mine working in 2.2 seconds - thanks so much PeiroGirl!

Peirogirl

Reaction score

5. Save....

Viola!

I am glad that I could help!!

ekyle

Reaction score

5. Save....

Viola!

Thank you for this! I've been going back and forth with Novell for two days. We even bought a cheap cert from GoDaddy (only $13 so whatever). This worked like a charm.

OP
S

snootalope

Reaction score
So I'm trying to complete the workarounds that you all posted, thanks for doing that.

Problem is I'm in a remote office and won't be able to get on LAN to get the certificate.

Anyone have a workaround? I'd like to get corporate sync up and running but can't find a workaround. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Csquared

If anyone else hits this, a much easier way to go about this is to just have your IT guys open up port 80 to your Exchange server for just the amount of time it takes you to sync the first time (be sure to tell it NOT to use ssl when setting it up). After it syncs the first time, close port 80 on your firewall and go into the account settings and disable certificate verification.

I agree with others here that a CA signed cert from godaddy or whatever is the way to go. It's cheap and saves ya a bunch of BS. However, in my case, I have a number of windows mobile devices out there still that have our self-signed root cert installed and our godaddy cert is a wildcard, which windows mobile doesn't support. That's the only reason we have a self-signed cert right now.. Once those people finally upgrade we're going to the third party cert and not looking back.

cala833

Reaction score
I've set up corporate sync with my gmail account and still can't get it work. Once I try to edit the existing account I'm receiving an error: 'Could not connect to server' !?