Corporate Sync -- Cannot connect to server

snootalope

Reaction score
Our business got our first Droid3 today, and it's not been good. Everything on the phone is awesome, other than the fact the corporate sync doesn't work.

We've got a million Droid2's hooked up to our Exchange 2010 server and I've never once had an issue with them syncing.

Setting up the Droid3 is just like setting up the Droid2 as far as the corporate sync goes, however once entering the mail server manually and hitting next to establish the connection, it immediately says "Error. Could not connect to the server" and that's as far as I get.

I spent the morning on the phone with tech support and the data application developers or whoever they are beyond basic tech support and they said there is a known issue with the Droid3 and the corporate sync and they're working on a service pack or an update. No timeline on the update, nothing beyond "they're working on it."

How in the %&$# do you release a smartphone when you KNOW it has a bug and can't sync with Exchange 2010 and enhanced security.

OP
S

snootalope

Reaction score
Just an update, incase anyone else runs into this which I'm guessing there'll be plenty.

I found this post: Exchange activesync problem with Android 2.3.3. - Google Mobile Help

Apparently this has been a known issue for quite sometime and goes back to 2.3.3. It was supposed to be fixed apparently in 2.3.4, but I it's been confirmed that its definitely not fixed.

I've loved the Droid's for years now. But, this is the first BS move I've seen them make and it's a HUGE deal breaker.

mattbooty

Reaction score
I'm guessing this must have something to do with the settings on your exchange server or possibly your SSL certificate (if your exchange box is requiring one). My activesync is working fine. I did read elsewhere that the D3 no longer allows you to "accept all certificates", which would then break your connection if you are using a self-signed cert. Otherwise its possible that a specific active-sync policy on your exchange box is blocking access or the droid doesn't like.

I can help compare active sync policy settings with what I'm running if you need assistance.

OP
S

snootalope

Reaction score
another update. A work around on this is to setup the account while connected to the local LAN of the exchange server and disable the secure connection, or open up 80 to your exchange server on your firewall. Setup the account, then manage the account, and disable certificate checking.

OP
S

snootalope

Reaction score
It's definitely a certificate issue. However, since they removed the option to just accept all certificates its complicated things.

aconway

Reaction score
I use Touchdown Exchange.. it's infinitely better than the built in mail app for Exchange Servers... it has a feature to "fetch and trust certificate", which is very useful... although, in a perfect world, you shouldn't have to use it if your cert is set up correctly.. .. but yeah, dealing with cert issues is probably the #1 pain for remote Exchange connectivity... I hear ya. It's $20, with a 1 month full demo, BTW and no I don't work for them, I just really like the app!

mattbooty

Reaction score
I use Touchdown Exchange.. it's infinitely better than the built in mail app for Exchange Servers... it has a feature to "fetch and trust certificate", which is very useful... although, in a perfect world, you shouldn't have to use it if your cert is set up correctly.. .. but yeah, dealing with cert issues is probably the #1 pain for remote Exchange connectivity... I hear ya. It's $20, with a 1 month full demo, BTW and no I don't work for them, I just really like the app!

I liked touchdown better than the OG droid exchange client, but if you haven't already give the D3 exchange client a try, i like it a lot.

mattbooty

Reaction score
It's definitely a certificate issue. However, since they removed the option to just accept all certificates its complicated things.

Are you using a self-signed cert or is it a paid cert?

I agree, I'm not sure why they removed that option, we have a paid cert on ours so it works fine, but I know a lot of companies don't want to shell out $50 a year when you can self-sign one for free.

ocdtrekkie

Reaction score
I'm also having trouble with my DROID3 Corporate Sync. We have DROID2s that work, and our mail server uses a self-signed certificate.

goober0122

Reaction score
I had this same exact issue with my Droid 3 yesterday. Corporate Sync worked for a few days and then I couldn't connect. I made the mistake of deleting the account, turns out our SSL cert expired yesterday. On the other Droid 3s I was able to disable certificate verification under the account settings and they worked fine. Mine was not able to re-create the account. The cert was renewed this morning and all is well in the world. If you are using a self-signed cert you will need to either have your Droid 3 on the lan when creating the account or get a paid cert.

ocdtrekkie

Reaction score
I'm on the secured LAN with it, but it's not working with SSL, and I think our mail server refuses any connection, even internally, that isn't SSL.

goober0122

Reaction score
If you can go to your webmail (Outlook Web Access) in Firefox. To the left of the address there will be a button for the cert. Click on that and view the cert and see when the expiration date is and see if it was signed by a CA.

goober0122

Reaction score
Sorry didn't see that. The newer droid phones (D2) and above do not like self-signed. I know Touchdown works like a champ, google free touchdown license Motorola. I know for us Droid X users they gave us free licenses because of corporate sync issues. They should be able to hook you up if you get to the right department.

bw13

Reaction score
Mine synced perfectly, although I do use touchdown because I like that it will use the voice to tell me who I have an email from.