Corporate Exchange Users: Does your phone stay in sync?

bvjens31

Reaction score
Your admin just needs to open up an external URL for your exchange server. So in your droid email settings, your server would be something like: https://mail.yourcompany.com. The reason currently have to VPN in to connect to exchange is probably because your are connecting to its internal address, something like mail.yourdomain.local, or its local IP address. First things first, get your corp IT admin to open up OWA for external access. Then your droid should have no problem hitting it.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

dukill

Reaction score
Thank you to everyone that has helped me. I have an email to the it guy to see if he can set up the OWA for external access. I will let you know how it goes. Thank you for everyones input and help.

miken5555

Reaction score
I have the same problem with D2 and my university email. It takes up to 2 hours sometimes to get emails if I don't manually check it

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem with D2 and my university email. It takes up to 2 hours sometimes to get emails if I don't manually check it

That is terrible! My Exchange is on a University server but I've not experienced the delay you are having.

dukill

Reaction score
I just want to say thank you agian to all that have helped.

I am grasping at straws right now before my 30 days are up so I was wondering if anyone can help me a little further. I talked to the IT guy and this is what he had to say to me.

the problem was that you really have 2 web servers. One that houses all your websites, and then your exchange server houses the OWA website. The problem was that I wasn’t able to configure the PIX 501 to redirect web requests to 2 different servers. It could do 1 or the other, but not both.

Like I said I know that I am grasping at straws right now and I am giving everyone limited information to go off of but I just wanted to see if I could get that out there and see if anyone had any suggestions they could give me off the top of their head. Thank you for everyones time.

bvjens31

Reaction score
I just want to say thank you agian to all that have helped.

I am grasping at straws right now before my 30 days are up so I was wondering if anyone can help me a little further. I talked to the IT guy and this is what he had to say to me.

the problem was that you really have 2 web servers. One that houses all your websites, and then your exchange server houses the OWA website. The problem was that I wasn’t able to configure the PIX 501 to redirect web requests to 2 different servers. It could do 1 or the other, but not both.

Like I said I know that I am grasping at straws right now and I am giving everyone limited information to go off of but I just wanted to see if I could get that out there and see if anyone had any suggestions they could give me off the top of their head. Thank you for everyones time.

If he secures OWA with an SSL certificate, he may be able to point traffic on port 443 to your OWA website and keep all your other web traffic on 80. Not sure I've never configured OWA from scratch before, it's always been already set up on my clients' Exchange servers.

dukill

Reaction score
If he secures OWA with an SSL certificate, he may be able to point traffic on port 443 to your OWA website and keep all your other web traffic on 80. Not sure I've never configured OWA from scratch before, it's always been already set up on my clients' Exchange servers.

Thank you bvjens31 for your suggestion. I have sent an email to the IT guy and I will let you know what comes of this. Thank you agian.

rpoldervaart

Reaction score
Seems to be working for me.

I've had my d2g for about 8 days. Hooked up to corporate email 6 days ago. My email seems to be working just fine. Sitting in standby on my desk, it seems to vibrate within seconds before or after outlook. I'm using the stock email app. I'm rooted, but nothing exotic other than setcpu and titanium backup, etc.

Honestly, I have not noticed any time where I opened my inbox and saw it bring in a bunch of emails. I'll keep an eye on it.
Robert

I just wanted to clear up my comment from earlier. I learned today, from another post, that I'm actually set up to fetch email every 15 minutes, and not push. I haven't tried push yet, will do that later. I thought it was pushing email, and heard my phone beep around the same time as I saw email arrive in my Outlook client. I wasn't diligently watching, so I don't know if the beep was for my Outlook or my gmail account.

So I will say that I have no problems with email with the fetch 15 minute interval.

Dukill, I hope you get your server worked out in time.

Robert

dukill

Reaction score
bvjens,

I just want to say thank you for setting me on the right track with the sever. The IT guy got it squared away last night and it is up and running. You were alot of help. Now I just wish i had more than 3 days to test the phone. It seems like I am already have issues with the corporate email staying in sync.

I am using touchdown right now. I was using push only but now i have it set to push and polling every 5 minutes. We will see how that goes. I hope motorola comes out with a fix but we will see. Touchdown is great but I hate to spend 20 dollars on it when the phone should already work as advertised.

Thank you agian bvjens. And thank you too robert for your help as well as everyone who posts on this forum.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
bvjens,

I just want to say thank you for setting me on the right track with the sever. The IT guy got it squared away last night and it is up and running. You were alot of help. Now I just wish i had more than 3 days to test the phone. It seems like I am already have issues with the corporate email staying in sync.

Were you able to get the corporate email app to work with Exchange?

I am using touchdown right now.

Me too

I was using push only but now i have it set to push and polling every 5 minutes.

Why did you change? I keep mine at push and it works extremely well.
We will see how that goes. I hope motorola comes out with a fix but we will see. Touchdown is great but I hate to spend 20 dollars on it when the phone should already work as advertised.

I agree especially with spending the extra money.

Thank you agian bvjens. And thank you too robert for your help as well as everyone who posts on this forum.

I did, however, purchase. I spent enough time trying to get the Corporate app to work. Check this it http://www.droidforums.net/forum/sourcery-rom/116368-exchange-server-issues-fyi.html it may help.

Mike

dukill

Reaction score

I just set it up today. I now have both touchdown and the corporate app set up. I will see which one gets email first and go from there.

Touchdown is nice and it has alot more features so the $20.00 is not a bad price but it would be nice to get those features on the stock app.

The reason I did this was because I was having lag in getting my email so I changed this to see if it would help but it seems not to matter. It seems like I wont get the email until I turn on the screen. Once I turn on the screen the emails will come in. I dont have to even unlock the screen just turn it on. Anyone else having this issue?

I havent got a chance to read through your link but I will. We are running SBS 2003 with all the updates. And my phone is rooted with the Fission rom on it. Thanks mike for your replies.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

I just set it up today. I now have both touchdown and the corporate app set up. I will see which one gets email first and go from there.

Touchdown is nice and it has alot more features so the $20.00 is not a bad price but it would be nice to get those features on the stock app.

The reason I did this was because I was having lag in getting my email so I changed this to see if it would help but it seems not to matter.
Push "should" send the email to your phone as soon as it hits the server. I'm not positive but I believe that polling will delay your receiving email.

It seems like I wont get the email until I turn on the screen. Once I turn on the screen the emails will come in. I dont have to even unlock the screen just turn it on. Anyone else having this issue?

As long as my phone is turned on, I receive email. I can be on a call, texting, reading or replying to an email, even in thew "sleep" mode, and email is delivered.

I havent got a chance to read through your link but I will. We are running SBS 2003 with all the updates. And my phone is rooted with the Fission rom on it. Thanks mike for your replies.

The Exchange server that I'm connected to was recently upgraded to 2010.

Hope you get this resolved soon.

Mike

mjensen

Reaction score
Progress

So, today I was going through my corporate sync setup and noticed that I was using our autodiscover service for the server name. While this worked, it wasn't very reliable for push email. I changed it to our actual server name and saved the changes. It has worked flawlessly all day!!!! This is the first time it has worked this well for this long since I've had the phone! I'm not sure if there is anything to this, or if anyone else has experienced this.

Our server is Exchange 2007.

Asphyx

Reaction score
According to the guy in the other thread he wasn't able to get synced at all in the first place so his IT team had to loosen up security and allow external devices to connect and sync with Exchange. This however doesn't really apply to my situation nor others who are able to get synced initially but later having the sync break off until you reboot or do a battery pull.

Truthfully, I would not have allowed my staff to make those changes.

Ok I may be able to clarify a few things here.
First off if your Exchange server is not accessible to the internet in any way you can't possibly sync with it UNLESS you are directly connected to your office network via WiFi.

Three ways to make it accessible is either give it a static Inet IP, Set up Port port forwarding in your router which has a static InetIP, Or set up a VPN that will give YOU an internal IP to connect to all services on that network.

VPN is probably more secure than the others because of encryption but thay encryption key will also EXPIRE! Time, Disconnection all of that will log you off and require logging back in again thru the VPN. It really is not the best way to go for something like this. Way overcomplicates the issue.

The second best way is to use port forwarding in your router. Won't go into that much but it is akin to making a firewall setting that sends specific ports to a specific internal machine. So only that port is exposed to the net.

The other way (and best for lack of sync issues) is to just point the mail.youremaildomain.xx to a static IP and expose the Exchange web server to it.
Then all the normal exchange security will work and you should sync without issue.

The issue I have is I lose my VPN connection so my email wont update. I was wondering if this is what is happening to other people to cause the sync issues. I have to reconnect my vpn connection constantly and manually sync my email. Is anyone else having this issue? Please let me know I would like to solve this problem. I really like the phone and dont want to have to return it.
You VPN key is probably expiring. How long and why it expires depends on how your VPN is set up. Which is why you have to reconnect to VPN before getting mail. Remember most of the radios shut off and simply poll the towers. This could be taken as a disconnect by your VPN and canceling your key.

But in general, I do not think this is going through VPN at all. It is going through our exchange server / Outlook web access server, that is exposed outside the firewall.

Robert

Sounds to me like you have an exposed WebDav server which is what you need for corporate sync via 3G to work.

Muschnick

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a colleague that believes he recently found out a way to get past the exchange syncing issues. I plan to test it once I run into the sync errors which I suspect will happen soon although my company just added 2 more servers to handle the load so that may help as well.

He coincidently cleared his cache for another reason and it corrected the exchange sync issue. We're not sure if this will resolve it every time but it worked once and I will report back once I test it.

If anybody loses their exchange sync connection please try and clear your cache an let us know if that resolves the issue. Once you clear your cache, refresh your mail and see what happens.

This may or may not work consistently but it has worked once so I thought I would throw it out there for others to test.