Corporate e-mail workaround - it works

knotbeerdan

Reaction score
OK so I have been trying to figure out how to get my work e-mail on my phone. This has been hard since the only type of OWA server we have is blackberry. And we cannot get to our servers from outside the office unless in the portal. So here it goes...
1) enable imap in gmail settings>forwarding and POP/IMAP> click the radius button to enable IMAP

2) Outlook Express - Gmail Help
visit the link to get instructions on how to import your gmail account to outlook. Make sure to use IMAP.

2) create a rule in outlook to copy e-mails coming in from (exchange in my case) your corporate account to your gmail inbox folder.

3) thats it!! :icon_ banana:

only problem is that this will only work while you have outlook open on your computer (client rule) if anyone has a workaround of this I would like to know how.

Fuzzball

Reaction score
I suggest checking your corporate IT security policies before moving forward with that. There are a lot of companies that frown on that practice and for some, like mine, it can be grounds for termination.

Check with your IT department to see if they'd be willing to open up ActiveSync. Having you boss or boss' boss ask with a business case in hand can go a long way.

OP
knotbeerdan

knotbeerdan

Reaction score
I suggest checking your corporate IT security policies before moving forward with that. There are a lot of companies that frown on that practice and for some, like mine, it can be grounds for termination.

Check with your IT department to see if they'd be willing to open up ActiveSync. Having you boss or boss' boss ask with a business case in hand can go a long way.
Thats a good point... Probably should have made a disclaimer. For me i'm lucky i work in the IT department so I happen to know that its OK for me to do it. But if you work for a government agency its probably not a good idea to do this

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's not a good idea if you're working for any organization that wouldn't allow this (government or not).

This has been hard since the only type of OWA server we have is blackberry.
AFAIK there's no such thing as a BB OWA server. Are you referring to BES?

OP
knotbeerdan

knotbeerdan

Reaction score
Hey now in my defense I don't handle our servers we have a total of three of us in the department and my main job is end user support. And our blackberry server is brand new so I don't know squat about that.

And OWA has nothing to do with mobile syncing that is just the term I use for it... its better than specifying active sync, or BES(which is actually BIS), or wireless sync every time

OP
knotbeerdan

knotbeerdan

Reaction score
yeah i know, but being in IT we have to be on our toes at all times :icon_eek:

dfwdroid

Reaction score
best bet would be "Touchdown".
I work with the messaging team as a job and we are using ActiveSync for Exchange, and let me tell you, with all the Jailbreak and rooted smartphones, there is a real security bridge here.
for instance we require any IPhone other droid or other smartphone users (other than BlackB) to comply with our security policy: phone need to lock after 3 min (if other value then DENIED), phone need to have "Passcode" enabled - Sunc has to be on auto (push/pull) ...there is a long list...
Touchdown will let you do that.

OP
knotbeerdan

knotbeerdan

Reaction score
I cant use touchdown because we don't have certs installed on our servers and we cannot access them from outside the network other than going through the portal which essentially puts you on the network. Then we have e-mail per OWA. lol.... But in a few weeks we are doing a huge overhall which includes a new firewall and certs on our exchange server. then I will be able to use active sync (or something similar) to sync directly with the server.

Edit - I should mention that I tried touchdown

cuppa-coffee

Reaction score
Does anybody know for certain if 2.1 will fix the problem some of us have with corporate email coming to our Droid? I'd like to know yes or no because i'll buy touchdown if it won't fix the problems.

dro0g

Reaction score
2) create a rule in outlook to copy e-mails coming in from (exchange in my case) your corporate account to your gmail inbox folder.

Long ago at a job far far away (I was an e-mail admin) we had someone do this to try to get around not being allowed to use her personal phone with her work mail. We caught it one day after 50GB disappeared from a mail server. It turned out her forwarding rule didn't take into account attachments and forwarded a 20MB attachment to her home mail account (which promptly bounced with the attachment, which was then forwarded again, ad nauseam.) To this day that was the largest mail box I've ever seen. :)

OP
knotbeerdan

knotbeerdan

Reaction score
Yeah I dont deal much with attachments and our limits are 5MB so at least I don't have to worry about that but i guess anything is possible