Corning has stated that the Nexus will NOT have Gorilla® Glass

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Why doesn't it? Screen size or something? If TVs can have it I don't know why this can't. Seems like a no brainer.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Because of the curve maybe? Last year's Nexus S didn't have it either. Maybe the strength is compromised because of the curve. I was under the impression that Corning could make gorilla glass for just about anything. Oh well.

Uncle Chan

Reaction score
Unless I'm mistaken, my X doesn't have it either. No big deal.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Unless I'm mistaken, my X doesn't have it either. No big deal.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

You would be mistaken then. DROID x,x2,bionic,etc have corning gorilla glass.

jerroedr

Reaction score
I mean I know gorilla is the ish, but does that mean that nothing is as good? The d1 has it right? it makes the glass scratch and break resistant correct? but still if it falls the wrong way its done. Ive seen dead d1's due to the screen

Heywood

Reaction score
You would be mistaken then. DROID x,x2,bionic,etc have corning gorilla glass.

I didn't know that. I have always wondered how my X2 survived two pretty substantial drops the first week I had it. Drops of about 4 feet directly on granite floor. I inadvertently sent the second drop up higher for some hang time and gravitational pull reaching out to grab it and failing:(

Until I put a case on it I simply couldn't keep hold of it while playing because its pretty darn thin naked. I really like the RAZR but yeesh that thing would spend more time on the floor unless I put a case on it defeating the purpose of it being so thin.

ice456789

Reaction score
Why doesn't it? Screen size or something? If TVs can have it I don't know why this can't. Seems like a no brainer.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
The same reason it doesn't come with 128 gb internal memory, a 1080p 3d screen, and depleted uranium coating....... COST

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I read this last week from Samsungs FB page and I was a little surprised, but they also mentioned they're using another form of "reinforced glass".

I'm sure there are other companies pumping out similar strong glass, it's just that Gorilla glass has become a catchy name everyone's aware of.

I always use Seidio screen protectors, so I'm not too concerned.

As for the reason, I don't think it's because of the curve because apparently the HTC Sensation has a curved screen with Gorilla Glass, so it seems like a mystery why Samsung wouldn't go with what's hot, but maybe it was the price, who knows.

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
I read this last week from Samsungs FB page and I was a little surprised, but they also mentioned they're using another form of "reinforced glass".

I'm sure there are other companies pumping out similar strong glass, it's just that Gorilla glass has become a catchy name everyone's aware of.

I always use Seidio screen protectors, so I'm not too concerned.

As for the reason, I don't think it's because of the curve because apparently the HTC Sensation has a curved screen with Gorilla Glass, so it seems like a mystery why Samsung wouldn't go with what's hot, but maybe it was the price, who knows.

Hopefully for this... :icon_ lala:

[video=youtube;WpbOoQpwAFs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WpbOoQpwAFs[/video]