Core Cool Bionic apps busted

floyd

Reaction score
I'm getting more and more incidences of my favorite apps just not working properly on my stock Bionic.

Text selection for copy and paste usually sucks, Google Sky is way off, both Seesmic and Tweetcaster crash on me, Google maps is way off by in Manhattan and showing street addresses a quarter mile away. And the Time Warner DVR scheduling app only works on ICS. I could go on...

Little things, but they are adding up quickly and are really starting to tick me off. Like when your with a date in Chinatown and need help to find the address of an obscure restaurant. Embarrassing as hell. "Used to work fine"

I have a $600+ (with termination fee) orphan "flagship" phone.

I'm really pissed off. Is there or will there be a straight Android Verizon phone with no bloatware that will be the benchmark for app designers?

Fragmentation is getting seriously annoying with all these crappy handsets.

We're mostly a service economy now, and I want some damn reliable service.

Need stock. No ROM flashing.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Nexus has very little bloat. RAZR whether MAXX'd out or not appears to be pretty consistent with apps working. Rezound seems to be getting some love from its hardware (minus the battery).

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I seriously hate all the useless apps that i will never use preinstalled on my phone. Verizon should at least give us the option to delete them.

I think with ICS you'll have the option of at least turning bloatware off. If you root you can either freeze them or remove them (I'd recommend just freezing them).

Sorry about the OP's problems. I use the Twitter and Facebook apps and they've worked fine, but I can understand what's it's like when an app you like stops working right. Are they the free or paid versions? Did those two have recent upgrades? Jeannie and Star Charts did and they had to do more updates to correct it. I don't have Time-Warner, but I do have Cox and that app runs on GB or even Froyo.

OP
floyd

floyd

Reaction score
I always use the paid versions of apps I like. I suspect a factory reset might fix my issues, but i've spent so many hours tweaking the phone( Swype dictionary, miscellaneous settings, etc.) that it's just not an attractive option. Know what I mean?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I understand. You might try a battery pull first.

DunDun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"Sammy Davis" Galaxy Season 6
I have had similar probs in the past, but uninstalling the app and then reinstalling it usually worked while waiting for the developers of those apps to fix their bugs.

OP
floyd

floyd

Reaction score
Excellent advice af and dundun.

This ain't my first rodeo though. Was rooted on OG Droid and wasted way too much time tweaking and flashing. It was kinda fun though, but now I just want no issues. Battery pulls and reinstalls are my first actions before whining. The phone is porked.

Still a pretty amazing device, but I am increasingly disturbed by Verizon's business model incompetence and greed. I was forced to get this phone when my OG got "rained out" by high humidity. No more motorola for me.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've never rooted my OG Droid and never intend to root my Bionic. I haven't had the need.

Some people buy a car and just drive it. Others add seat covers and a GPS on the windshield. Others put in a kickass sound system. And then there are those who change the chip in the car's computer, put in Recaro seats, add a glasspack exhaust and change the wheels. And I understand the frustration when you can't change your phone to the way you want it to be or if the phone simply fails to work like it should.

Of course, if I used a phone based on my needs rather than my wants, I'd still have my Motorola E815.

OP
floyd

floyd

Reaction score
I take the subway

Cars rock. I love driving when I get a chance when traveling. Always pay extra for a cool rentl car, when on the road.

I learned to program in 1974. Love to get under the hood of electronic devices.

This phone should be like a car. Tweak it any way you want, as long add you don't abuse your privilege.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cars rock. I love driving when I get a chance when traveling. Always pay extra for a cool rentl car, when on the road.

This phone should be like a car. Tweak it any way you want, as long add you don't abuse your privilege.

Yeah that's another thing. I live in San Diego, which was one of the first cities to get 4G. My Bionic doesn't (knock wood) have the data drop problem, no matter what version of GB I was on. I know it's loafing in terms of what it can do so I'm more of a stock car guy.

If we stood "shoulder to shoulder" would we experience the same problem or would a problem go away? We don't even have the same apps, which is like me trying to understand why snow tires are so important.

brent.murray

Reaction score
floyd said:

Well said! Couldn't agree with you more! Cheers!

OP
floyd

floyd

Reaction score
I usually get great data reception here in NYC, except for tourist-heavy Times Square, where everybody is googling, and it's unfortunately near where I work.

Think VZW network maxed out there.

Problems with Android phones are really difficult to diagnose, as you know, because we chose not play in Apple's ruthlessly mercantile walled garden, but instead in Android's wild West. God knows what app is abusing privileges.

A factory reset is probably due here. Again.

They get your $ any which way. Just a question of thievery style.