Cordcutter News: YT does live TV

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
170228155817-youtube-streaming-service-780x439.jpg

Everyone is now wanting a piece of that cordcutting pie. What was once a fad is now a phenomenon and it was not long before Youtube (aka Google) decided it was time for them to jump on board. And we are seeing that now as Google announces their $35 TV package that includes 40+ channels.

What would it take for Youtube to take over the streaming market?

Source: Official YouTube Blog: Finally, live TV made for you

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
From reports I've seen from others that have read further into this than I have, it sounds like there will be a cloud DVR with unlimited storage space, which is great, but I also read somewhere that there won't be an "on-demand" feature. If you don't DVR a show, you'll miss it. I hope that's not true. In the age of Netflix, there should be some sort of on-demand option for catching up on shows or finding new ones.

The plan doesn't look horrible, though I don't think that this is the service that will get me to cut the cord, either. It does seem like they're offering a decent variety of channels, but there are some that I enjoy very much that don't offer a standalone option at this point that aren't on the list that YT is launching this service with...

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
From reports I've seen from others that have read further into this than I have, it sounds like there will be a cloud DVR with unlimited storage space, which is great, but I also read somewhere that there won't be an "on-demand" feature. If you don't DVR a show, you'll miss it. I hope that's not true. In the age of Netflix, there should be some sort of on-demand option for catching up on shows or finding new ones.

The plan doesn't look horrible, though I don't think that this is the service that will get me to cut the cord, either. It does seem like they're offering a decent variety of channels, but there are some that I enjoy very much that don't offer a standalone option at this point that aren't on the list that YT is launching this service with...
Inline with the competition (sling TV, PlayStation Vue, etc) they do not offer either on demand or DVR. Not sure how much of that would have to do with contractual agreements with various networks, but I'm thinking that may be the final wall that separates streaming services from cable services.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Inline with the competition (sling TV, PlayStation Vue, etc) they do not offer either on demand or DVR. Not sure how much of that would have to do with contractual agreements with various networks, but I'm thinking that may be the final wall that separates streaming services from cable services.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
At least this YT option offers DVR. That's big for our house. My wife and I both record our "own" shows and then a list of shows that we like to watch together. The only TV we watch live is the news on occasion and then we just throw HGTV on when there's nothing else on and the kids are awake so we can't watch some of the shows we like.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Still missing a lot of major players like AMC, discovery, history, CNN. I really don't care for sports but I'd subscribe to educational channels.
I think I'll wait for the day when you make your own channel bundle for per channel price. Till then I'll stream everything "other ways".

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I may give it a try. I have a home server set up to download TV shows we watch as they air and it works very well but I wouldn't mind live TV once in a while. I refuse to pay for cable or a dish service. Plus, getting live TV on other TVs without a cable jack near would be nice.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Cost is way too steep IMO. Plus I think they are too late jumping into the game to make a significant dent . Guess we'll have to see. Layout and reliability play an important role as well. Hopefully they'll offer a 7 day free trial like everyone has done, so we can see IF it would be worth our while.

S7 Edge tap'n

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Does no one here use flat antennas to receive over the air HD channels? I have them on 5 tvs in the house and we get about 20-30 channels(abc, NBC, Fox, CBS, ion, cw, PBS) like that on each TV. Plus the antennas are dirt cheap.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Does no one here use flat antennas to receive over the air HD channels? I have them on 5 tvs in the house and we get about 20-30 channels(abc, NBC, Fox, CBS, ion, cw, PBS) like that on each TV. Plus the antennas are dirt cheap.
Tried once in my area with 2 different antennas. Couldn't get more than 1 or 2 channels.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
have you tried amplified one? if there are stations within 50 miles it'll pick it up. un-amped only range about 30 miles.

shockracer

Reaction score

I bought an HD exterior antenna for $45, ran the line to where my cable provider splitter was, disconnected them and tied in the antenna. I get 27 stations (half I don't watch) in HD for free. Been doing this for 4 years now with no regrets. If there is a show I want to watch I find it on Netflix or buy it on Google and watch through Google Cast.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
have you tried amplified one? if there are stations within 50 miles it'll pick it up. un-amped only range about 30 miles.
We have stations within 50 miles, but there are mountains between us and the stations. Do you know if amplified antennas would pick up the signals for us?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk