Copying files via wifi

jjd228

Reaction score
Anyone make this work consistently?

I'm using the "Media Share" app and whether I choose "Computer" or "Network Drive" it doesn't work. I can browse the files and folders on the remote server but when I select a file and then choose a destinatin folder on the DX I get the error "unable to copy."

I have tried different file types and sizes and the piece of garbage just doesn't work. A few days ago however it *did* work ONCE and I was able to copy an image file from a pc on the network to the DX. If I try the same pc today it doesn't work. This is an obvious bug but I'm just wondering if anyone has any additional info.

Last edited by a moderator:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is a family friendly forum, jjd228. Please watch your language.

OP
J

jjd228

Reaction score
Work around:

Apparently the "move" and "copy" operations in the Media Share app don't work. Here is what does work:

After you have a server setup with file shares, just use the "Files" app to browse the files on the server. When you find the file you want to copy, long press it and choose copy. Then go back to your "Phone Files" and when you're in the target folder choose "Paste Here."

This works every time but not if I choose multiple files. If I copy 1 file at a time it works.

PS- My "family" isn't socially brainwashed into believing that when we arrange 4 letters of our alphabet into certain combinations that they magically become "bad" words.

liferefugee

Reaction score
I have found that the easiest way is just to use something like drop box. Free app, free service available, paid if you want more space. It is not as nice as just media share should be, but it works. You just have to know what you want, send it out to the dropbox server then grab it from the other device. The plus side to is is that you dont have to be on the network when you want to download something.

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Mine works, Do you have your permissions set up for the network share? make sure you have full control. Also, If the default file manager still wont play nice, try using Astro and the Astro SMB. Its much better then the stock app, I use it all the time.

jc1497

Reaction score
Any experience while using astro and astro smb to view shared files on pc via wifi experiencing crashes. Setup seems to be struggling to drill down through shared files and then crashed everything had to restart ie on PC and reboot phone?