Copying-and-Pasting?

MobileDroid

Reaction score
I still haven't quite figured out how to copy-and-paste. I have some text in GTalk that I want to copy. How do I do it? How do i paste it later?

Thanks.

Silver Member
Reaction score
in messaging, you can long-press a conversation in a thread and select copy text. not sure if gtalk is similiar.

in emails, if you hold down the shift key, you can drag your finger over text to instantly copy it.

in fields and text boxes, you can long-press and paste or use the physical menu button + V.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's a very strange and awkward way of copying and pasting. I'm hoping they come up with something that's a little more natural.

Silver Member
Reaction score
you know, i don't find teh process itself difficult, but the actual doing of the process. the problem is the lack of stylus. maybe during a copy-paste, the text could be englarged or the accuracy of the selection could be better.

it's not terrible, but not nearly as friendly as WinMo.

Reaction score
you know, i don't find teh process itself difficult, but the actual doing of the process. the problem is the lack of stylus. maybe during a copy-paste, the text could be englarged or the accuracy of the selection could be better.

it's not terrible, but not nearly as friendly as WinMo.
couldnt agree more!

Plus try to cut and paste in a text input box and it will only allow you to cut the entire passge. :(

JayMonster

Reaction score
Plus try to cut and paste in a text input box and it will only allow you to cut the entire passge. :(

Not completely true. If you go into edit mode in that text box, you can navigate to where in the text you want to copy, using the keyboard, hold down the shift key and press right (or left) on the navigation button and you can select as much text as you want. Like somebody said... a bit awkward... but doable.

Reaction score

Not completely true. If you go into edit mode in that text box, you can navigate to where in the text you want to copy, using the keyboard, hold down the shift key and press right (or left) on the navigation button and you can select as much text as you want. Like somebody said... a bit awkward... but doable.

what do you mean by edit mode?

Its almost impossible for me when trying to cut in a text imput box i use for my work web based email. shift does NOTHING the screen moves all around allowing nothing to be cut. :(

Last edited:

raven1911

Reaction score
Weird. I don't have a problem cut and pasting. I usually long press and select. The shift key is a nice function IMO. I would assume if you cut and paste a lot then it might get frustrating but I don't do it very often.

JayMonster

Reaction score
what do you mean by edit mode?

Its almost impossible for me when trying to cut in a text imput box i use for my work web based email. shift does NOTHING the screen moves all around allowing nothing to be cut. :(

For example in web based mail, you usually need to go to "reply" first so that you are not just viewing the message, you are in a text box that you can type into. Pressing in the box, highlights it and puts the cursor in the box... that is what I mean by "edit mode."

(if that doesn't make sense, let me know and i will try to explain it another way)

JayMonster

Reaction score
Weird. I don't have a problem cut and pasting. I usually long press and select. The shift key is a nice function IMO. I would assume if you cut and paste a lot then it might get frustrating but I don't do it very often.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is totally doable, but then again, I am now used to the Droid's keyboard, where I have noticed that a lot of people have "given up" and just stick to the virtual keyboard, and for them, as well as everybody that just "swipes" this may seem an odd way of doing it.

Reaction score
yes it does make sense, thanks. But it puts an orange box around the text and it doesnt give me an option to place the cursor. And I cannot select the text I want to cut.

Silver Member
Reaction score
it does, it's just not very concise/intuitive. you have to hold-drag.

Reaction score
No it really doesnt for me. I tried 10x the screen will not stop moving instead it should be selecting the text but it doesnt.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Somebody really needs to come up with an app for this. Why some developer hasn't come along with something for this is beyond me.

The current copy paste is a pia IMHO.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The lack of a simple copy and paste is an oversight on Google's part. Like Jay said, it can be done but it's certainly not user friendly or simple.